Grasscrete At New Stadium?

UNTflyer

I've heard the rumor. What is grasscrete?

Grasscrete, the green alternative to standard concrete surfaces for parking lots, driveways, and access roads for vehicles or fire trucks. The benefit to Grasscrete for businesses and developers is that it drains at about the same rate as would an ordinary lawn in the same location. The presence of concrete has little effect on the drainage; the soil and the slope are the controlling factors which makes it beneficial for erosion control as well.

Some other benefits to the Grasscrete concept include the improved reflectance of the crete as compared to blacktop, reducing the heat island effect. Grasscrete handles runoff and storm drainage via river training, slope protection and channels.

grasscrete_03.jpg

Lorry-Point-Load.jpg

carmel_02.jpg

grasscrete_hi-res.jpg

grasscrete4.jpg

General-Parking-2.jpg

Edited by UNTflyer

Congrats on the effort you are putting forth on this stadium issue Flyer. I don't know whether you'd consider yourself an environmentalist (I figure I became one as a North Texas geography grad), but this thread presented information which the environmentally concerned can appreciate. I recently became aware of this type of paving, and have passed the word along to others whenever I get the chance, since the large city where I work has lots of alley repaving in its future. This method certainly has a lot to recommend it; I think it could reduce a lot of stormwater runoff in urban areas.

Congrats on the effort you are putting forth on this stadium issue Flyer. I don't know whether you'd consider yourself an environmentalist (I figure I became one as a North Texas geography grad), but this thread presented information which the environmentally concerned can appreciate. I recently became aware of this type of paving, and have passed the word along to others whenever I get the chance, since the large city where I work has lots of alley repaving in its future. This method certainly has a lot to recommend it; I think it could reduce a lot of stormwater runoff in urban areas.

When I talked to RV... he spoke of making this stadium a "green" stadium. He gave me a bunch of examples which would truly be revolutionary and be one of a kind.

My TV station just did a story on Mason GreenStar. This stuff is pretty damn cool. I don't know how practical it is for a stadium, but for home building it seems awesome. Very energy efficient.

It's also bullet proof, so I expect them to try and get a military contract. When I heard that I asked if I could invest, and the answer was, "Sure. We need a minimum of 200 grand."

My response, "Hey get back to me when you are a publicly traded company."

"I'm just gonna go find a cash machine" - The Dude

I wouldn't call myself an environmentalist, but I can see the value of innovations like this.

Less radiant heat in the parking lot, better water runoff, lower construction costs, and higher aesthetic value. I think it's awesome.

Touting the stadium as a green project is very much in line with North Texas traditions......such as Earth Day. North Texas has also been a leader in environmental studies.

It also fits in nicely with our school colors and the tradition/legend surrounding the reason why the student body selected the colors.

From the "traditions" segment of the UNT web-site.

Colors.

"After a heated campus debate in 1902, the students chose green and white as the official school colors. According to a 1932 article in the Campus Chat student newspaper, green proponents believed that Mother Nature is kind to those who wear her colors".

Edited by SilverEagle

My office is in a building here in Denton whose owner is one of the leaders in true "green" building. He says that this type of parking lot is probably not the best idea in terms of tailgating and walking on with the holes that exist. He says there is a type of concrete though, in which the rain water would be "soaked" up and through the concrete to then be deposited back into the soil that they could look at. It is also much more expensive to build true green.

What is the cost of Grasscrete compared to regular pavement/concrete?

Would be awesome to see this installed around our brand new stadium!

4) What is the installed cost for Bomanite Grasscrete vs. Concrete?

Grasscrete is generally 30% higher than traditional concrete pavement. Using Grasscrete can eliminate or minimize the need for storm water collection systems which may be a substantial savings.

http://www.bomanite.com/products/PDF/Boman...20FAQ's.pdf

If we were to use this as a parking lot, I don't see the grass growing at all. I think this would end up looking miserable with grass growing in certain parts and then in other areas concrete with holes in the middle.

Also, do I sense a shift for the meaning of Mean GREEN?

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

I thought this thread was going to be about how hard the old turf was at fouts. That was like playing in the parkinglot. You wouldn't believe the roadrash you could get from falling on that stuff.

If we were to use this as a parking lot, I don't see the grass growing at all. I think this would end up looking miserable with grass growing in certain parts and then in other areas concrete with holes in the middle.

Also, do I sense a shift for the meaning of Mean GREEN?

Green is all good, except when it's not mean enough.