Stadium Update

UNTflyer

I'm not against the stadium by any means, I just know there will be a big uproar when students find out they have to pay $150 per semester for an athletic program they don't care about, especially when they were paying just $45 before. Believe me, I want the new stadium as much as anybody, but I was just pointing out why students are / will be hesitant.

You think that's a big uproar? Just wait until this board finds out that season ticket prices will go up by 50% in the new stadium. :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think that's a big uproar? Just wait until this board finds out that season ticket prices will go up by 50% in the new stadium. :lol:

I doubt there will be a big uproar, I think most expect a substantial increase in ticket prices with a new stadium. However, ticket prices will ultimately depend on demand and that will be more related to wins and loses and competition than the stadium.

Edited by GrandGreen

To actually be able to sit closer to the football action (without looking over a track) and in a nice new facility with probably better known opponents, I would gladly pay double ticket prices.

To actually be able to sit closer to the football action (without looking over a track) and in a nice new facility with probably better known opponents, I would gladly pay double ticket prices.

Yep. and I have a feeling that upper deck sightlines at new stadium > section E sightlines at Fouts.

Here is another example of new facilities at other schools... I know Texas is different, but this "small" school is building a new basketball (multi-purpose venue). Guess how much it cost? $60 million :) How can they raise the money and we can't? I realize they are getting some funding by the state legislature. Below is a quote taken directly from NKU's website.

"We are in the process of building a $37 million, 144,000-square-foot student union building, as well as The Bank of Kentucky Center, a $60 million, 9,400-seat arena for basketball games and other events.

It is the best time to be a part of NKU."

Link to school & arena

www.nku.edu/about/index.php

and

www.bankofkentuckycenter.com/about_facts.asp

Sorry for being ignorant of the differences between how each state provides funding for their respective state funded schools. I just want a new stadium and don't care what it takes to get it this point! We need to replace Fouts!

Scotty, I think that you hi-lited the wrong part of the sentence.

"We are in the process of building a $37 million, 144,000-square-foot student union building, as well as The Bank of Kentucky Center, a $60 million, 9,400-seat arena for basketball games and other events.

That is the part we are missing.

Although I feel a little like a dog that's been kicked one too many times, Flyer seems to be well-informed enough that I will bite once again. If I understand correctly, the student vote is the only real hurdle between where we are now and turning dirt. The other steps seem to be described as almost clerical. If that is true (and that's a big IF), then I am starting to get excited that it might be more than words this time.

However, if my options are 1) rush construction to get it ready for the 2010 season, and 2) take the extra time to make sure it is done right, even if that means K-State punches out, then I say blow K-State off. If this is going to be our stadium for the next 50 years, then at least make sure the foundation (literally and figuratively) is solid. It might be the only chance we get in a generation or three.

Do we actually know that how much has been raised of the 60 million dollars? I know that if the student vote passes then its enough to atleast break ground but I am really curious to see approximately how much money we have raised so far for the purposes of building this stadium. I remember the DR B, RV etc saying that they would not start anything really until an estimated half of the cost is raised which in this case would have been 30 million dollars.

Do we actually know that how much has been raised of the 60 million dollars? I know that if the student vote passes then its enough to atleast break ground but I am really curious to see approximately how much money we have raised so far for the purposes of building this stadium. I remember the DR B, RV etc saying that they would not start anything really until an estimated half of the cost is raised which in this case would have been 30 million dollars.

Flyer could probably answer this better than me, but, with cities, all you need to show is that you can support the debt issuance. For example, if you have a debt of $10 million that you're trying to retire in 10 years, you don't need to prove that you can come up with $10 million dollars so much as you can prove you can put up $1 million per year. It is my understanding that is why the student vote is so huge. Not that it represents a majority income by any means, but that there is a constant revenue stream dedicated to retiring the debt. The "big chunks" will still need to come from alumni or donors, but, with a predictable source of dollars to issue debt, a company or notable alumnus is much more likely to be interested in stepping up.

The fact that we retired the debt on the Athletic Center so quickly is huge, too. Bond rating agencies really like to see companies retire debt quickly, and better ratings mean better rates from buyers.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, flyer.

We do not need $30 million in hand. The student vote would be considered the $30 million required to start construction.

We do not need $30 million in hand. The student vote would be considered the $30 million required to start construction.

so in other words, we really haven't raise anything. Anytime the question of how much we've raised is asked, its like a bunch of lawyers or politicians answering (which means not really answering) the question at all.

so in other words, we really haven't raise anything. Anytime the question of how much we've raised is asked, its like a bunch of lawyers or politicians answering (which means not really answering) the question at all.

No, not at all. There is a stadium fund, and it does have donations. I personally know of people who have contributed, but I doubt those numbers will be released.

Student fee + Corporate sponsorship = 80% of the required funds.

Well, here's the official "Guvnuh' Rick" position.

7mNDHTfdn1A

Edited by ADLER

Pipe down....it should be obvious by now that you are going to get your stinkin stadium....way too much smoke to be no fire...get it. And there are plenty of people with money (big money) pledged to build this stadium...increasing student athletic fees are just part of the funds and is requird....as it should be.

And, I for one would not be opposed to paying alot more for tickets to go to this proposed stadium than Fouts...which as we all know is....well...is lacking.

Us who have been around NT long enough, know damn well NT doesn't throw money around (DD buyout, hotel lease buyout, architectual plans, land survery, etc) without BIG plans to do something with the UNT football situation.....you have RV nd Dr Pohl and Dr B to thank.....so there.

One other thing to note...

HKS wants to make this stadium special. They want to be able to brag about it as it will be their first college football stadium. HKS says they want to build a stadium for "a team of the future"

Also, I want to apologize to the creator of "Students Against a New Stadium", Joe McNulty.

I have claimed on this board that the creator of the group was not even a student. I based this claim on his Facebook profile that says he is a UNT alum. This is not the case. Joe is a current student at UNT and an SGA Senator. His opinion on the stadium is one I disagree with, but as a student his opinion is just as valuable as mine.

Sorry for getting in on this discussion late, but what exactly are they doing to make it special. Is it still going to be the first LEED certified stadium? If so, this is by far the most important thing you should promote about the stadium to other students. An eco-friendly stadium will do more to keep people from voting against this than any other single argument.

It's very simple, you don't have to convince students to vote for it, you need to keep them from voting against it. A green stadium is practically like a donation for something good in the world. It's hard to rail against that.

Lastly, the marketing approach of how a stadium will increase the value of your degree... will not work on someone who would vote against it. It in fact gives them a reason to vote against it. But, a green stadium is hard to get riled up to vote against.