23,000 In Attendance!

meangreenbob

Not only were there 23,000 in attendance for a team that is 2 and 14 over the last 16 games (many of them blowouts) this home game had to compete with local TV coverage. Whats even more impressive is the sea of green in the stands. This is the work of Rick Villarreal and his department. You may not like him but you better respect him.

This program has grown tremendously under the tenure of RV. Was that a new entrance to the Mean Green Village?

I remember watching many games at Fouts when we might have 3,700 to 4,700 fans in the stands and this was during the mid to late 90's. We were D1A then. Few if any wore the school colors back then. Look at where we are today. The student section looked great last Saturday night! More people on the alumni side are wearing green as well. Fouts was dressed in UNT green. RV initiated this change one shirt at a time!

As I glanced at RV standing at the South endzone during the fourth quarter I couldn't help feel he was distraught. Not with the coaches or the players but with the thought that many may give up on this program too soon. No one cares more than RV.

We've got to keep the faith no matter what. We will get there.

Can anyone remember what the attendance was for the Oregon St. game back in the 90's? I want to say about 4,700? No?

Go Mean Green!!!!

Not only were there 23,000 in attendance for a team that is 2 and 14 over the last 16 games (many of them blowouts) this home game had to compete with local TV coverage. Whats even more impressive is the sea of green in the stands. This is the work of Rick Villarreal and his department. You may not like him but you better respect him.

This program has grown tremendously under the tenure of RV. Was that a new entrance to the Mean Green Village?

I remember watching many games at Fouts when we might have 3,700 to 4,700 fans in the stands and this was during the mid to late 90's. We were D1A then. Few if any wore the school colors back then. Look at where we are today. The student section looked great last Saturday night! More people on the alumni side are wearing green as well. Fouts was dressed in UNT green. RV initiated this change one shirt at a time!

As I glanced at RV standing at the South endzone during the fourth quarter I couldn't help feel he was distraught. Not with the coaches or the players but with the thought that many may give up on this program too soon. No one cares more than RV.

We've got to keep the faith no matter what. We will get there.

Can anyone remember what the attendance was for the Oregon St. game back in the 90's? I want to say about 4,700? No?

Go Mean Green!!!!

I for one remember going to games when I doubt there were 2000 fans. People just don't go far enough back to realize how much RV has done for this program and UNT athletics....no one is perfect (me of course being exempt) but he has worked had to make things happen at UNT, which we all can agree must be very tough, and now we have some facilities and a new stadium will happen soon...you can count on that. Thanks RV so very much. I can hardly wait to see how things are at UNT in another 5 years.

I though the attendance was great...I had predicted 25,000 and while I was a tad "off" that number I am very happy with the attendance Saturday. EVERYONE just needs to come back on the 4th of Oct. Problem is, Tulsa ( a somewhet "local" team) did bring a few fans...and from what I saw and with the ones I interacted with before and after the game...pretty nice folks who seemed VERY impressed with our game dat atmosphere! How's that for a positive step???? Not many years ago that would have been the last comment a visiting fan would make! If you don't think positive things are happening then you are just "grumpy" and see only what youy want to see.

I was very impressed with the student turnout. I, for one, have been a bit vocal regarding the lack of any student turnout in recent years. Well, good job students!!! And, so many were actually wearing green!!!! It WAS GREAT to look across the field and see all the students. Way to go...well done. Again, if you don't think positive things are happenening you were not at the game in order to look across the field and see the student side.

Funny, I saw RV at the women's soccer game Friday evening (hey, UNT beat OU 302 in OT Friday...I guess they had Big XII victory hangove against UT-San Antonio) and told him we would have 25,000 Saturday night at the game. Did you see where I said RV was attending the women's soccer game Friday evening? That's the evening BEFORE the first home game. Way to go RV...the guy is trying to get the program support for all its programs.

Anyway, back to the game attendance...great start. Now, everyone come back!!!! Now is not the time to "jump ship" or whine about won-loss records. Now is the time to enjoy the entire "event" and be there as the program moves forward.

No. I can't find the actual attendance for the NT/OSU game but we averaged 17,376 that year (1995) for 4 home games of Kansas, Oregon St., UAB, and Idaho State. As I recall it was around 18K for Oregon St., 20K for Kansas at Texas Stadium and less than 15 for UAB and ISU.

No. I can't find the actual attendance for the NT/OSU game but we averaged 17,376 that year (1995) for 4 home games of Kansas, Oregon St., UAB, and Idaho State. As I recall it was around 18K for Oregon St., 20K for Kansas at Texas Stadium and less than 15 for UAB and ISU.

I remember the Oregon State game and you are right, there was a considerable more people there than 4,000.

This program may be growing, but it sure hasn't translated into wins

it will just give it time!

Alot of Sun Belt teams are under 15,000 in attendance at the end of each season and are not penalized or kicked out of our conference. I was really hoping that several teams would get kicked out so we were forced to find another conference.

The NCAA does not enforce this rule and it is a rule that has no meaning in my opinion

Go Mean Green!!!!

I was working for the athletic department back then, as was actually in the press box during the Oregon State game. About 5,000 in attendance seems about right. As a matter of fact, I remember commenting to a co-worker that there appeared to be as many Oregon St. fans as NT fans!

You know, that really does put things in perspective. We seem to get at least 20,000 fans for "regional" games (Tulsa, Rice, Baylor, TCU, SMU, etc.)...but when we were I-AA and playing "regional" teams we were damn lucky to get 12,000 people in the stands.

That has to mean something.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

I am really glad that this thread was brought up. The game day atmosphere at old Fouts is light years ahead of anything I have seen in my 24 years as a fan here.

Most of the discussions regarding the administration here, seem to revolve around their failure to do one thing or another. While those topics may be warranted, you cannot deny the positive changes that are happening now thanks to the current administrations leadership.

I cannot wait for the day in 2011, when I can look down from my seats without seeing that ridiculous track surrounding the playing field :)

Guest GrayEagleOne

Alot of Sun Belt teams are under 15,000 in attendance at the end of each season and are not penalized or kicked out of our conference. I was really hoping that several teams would get kicked out so we were forced to find another conference.

The NCAA does not enforce this rule and it is a rule that has no meaning in my opinion

It does happen in the Sun Belt but not as often as you think. You actually have to miss the 15,000 mark two consecutive seasons. I thought that it would catch both FAU and FIU but it didn't happen. The MAC is even worse at having teams on probation every other year.

The rule is to discourage FCS teams from joining the FBS moreso than kicking teams out of the current FBS. The number of teams now is fairly balanced but if very many more try to advance thay may raise the bar.

I wish they'd do something similar in basketball. There are way too many Division I basketball teams.

I for one remember going to games when I doubt there were 2000 fans. People just don't go far enough back to realize how much RV has done for this program and UNT athletics...

You don't have to go to far back. I went to a game last year that maybe had 2000 people in the stands (althought the offical count is more than twice as high).

Granted, it was 45 degrees and raining and the Saturday after Thanksgiving playing a provisional D1A team. But still... :P Thanks goodness for beer or I wouldn't have made it through that game!!!

No beer at NCAA events sucks. How long has that been around? We used to get beer at Irvine basketball games in the early nineties -- hell, they even sold it in the stands for a while. I have no idea whether or not they still serve it now.

Pregame stop at Cool Bean's, then on to the Tavern afterwards. Beer is not sold at consessions but is sold on the deck. You have to be a Mean Green Club member to get access.

No beer at NCAA events sucks. How long has that been around? We used to get beer at Irvine basketball games in the early nineties -- hell, they even sold it in the stands for a while. I have no idea whether or not they still serve it now.

UH still serves beer in the stands. Its one of the reasons I enjoy checking out their games! Im sure there are other D-1A programs that still do the same.

I wish they'd do something similar in basketball. There are way too many Division I basketball teams.

First of all, basketball has a lot more parity. Even teams from the Big West have done well on a national scale. But if you were to make subdivisions in basketball, there would probably have to be three of them (as it stands now, Irvine is officially classified as Division 1-AAA, or Division 1 with no football). Do that, and 65 of the remaining 100 D1A teams make the tournament with the other 35 making the NIT. Where's the fun in that? You don't think television would let the tournament go down the 32 teams do you?

Edited by oldguystudent

You don't have to go to far back. I went to a game last year that maybe had 2000 people in the stands (althought the offical count is more than twice as high).

Granted, it was 45 degrees and raining and the Saturday after Thanksgiving playing a provisional D1A team. But still... :P Thanks goodness for beer or I wouldn't have made it through that game!!!

The win also made it more bearable :)

That was the only game I saw last year in person (in town for T-giving).