Post Game Thoughts

LongJim

Although I didn't get to see the entire game, I wanted to post my thoughts after calming down over the weekend, so I'll just let fly:

Things I was concerned with:

Special teams need work. Don't know why the coverage teams are this big an issue, but they basically cost the MG at least 14 points on crappy field position alone. This should be an area in which UNT is at least competent. Ain't happening. Kickers have some leg, but need to be consistent. No excuse for cover teams to suck this bad, unless UNT is totally devoid of speed and discipline. Are they?

Secondary is a work in progress, to put it mildly. I know they're young back there, but guys have to make the tackle. No other way around it. Painful to watch guys clutching at air, out of position, getting punked. Chin up, because I think they will be looking a lot better later this year.

DL got manhandled by third quarter. I'm not going to rehash the OL/DL issues, because the guys played hard, but need to get serious about developing this area. No pressure from DL, essentially. Pitch and catch for Tulsa's QB/WR's.

Stud WR/QB/RB is pointless without the trench guys. 1999-era Texas Tech lite. Not what UNT should be doing.

Senseless penalties. Must stop. No excuse for jumping offside and shooting yourself in the foot all the time. Hard to make 3rd and a mile because of idiotic penalties.

Riley's redshirt. Don't want to talk about it. He's a great athlete, but why not take the pain now, and save the shirt? Don't understand it. Dodge has a plan, I guess, and that's to get the young players out there and turn them loose. I can go with that if that's the plan, but I just wonder why you essentially burn a year of your stud QB's playing time.

DeLoach has a big job to do. Good luck, coach.

Good things:

Toby Nwigwe played like his hair was on fire. Awesome bright spot for the MG defense. He had to be sore Sunday. LB's in general were a good thing Saturday.

Vizza, overall, I believe played well. I would like to have seen him run more, but whatever. Montgomery showed some good speed, and nice moves. Riley ran good routes, and caught the football, and flashed 1A speed. On that count, his debut was a success.

That's pretty much all I've got positive.

EDIT--Somehow left out Dunbar's game--(thanks Smitty)--DEFINITELY a bright spot for the O.

Edited by LongJim

Special teams need work. Don't know why the coverage teams are this big an issue, but they basically cost the MG at least 14 points on crappy field position alone. This should be an area in which UNT is at least competent. Ain't happening. Kickers have some leg, but need to be consistent. No excuse for cover teams to suck this bad, unless UNT is totally devoid of speed and discipline. Are they?

Cringed on every kick-off/punt, whether ours or theirs. Spencer and Knott did well, coverage and return teams need a lot of work.

Toby Nwigwe played like his hair was on fire. Awesome bright spot for the MG defense. He had to be sore Sunday. LB's in general were a good thing Saturday.

Remembered in the 3rd quarter, Toby made a stop on the student side of the field then the very next play made a stop on the alumni side. He was all over the place, definately a bright spot.

Another bright spot, student attendance!!! Great crowd on that side of the field at kick-off.

My thoughts on the game. The guy's played their ass's off, alot of

gut's, and some very impressive North Texas players!

Tulsa is a very experienced team, vet's all around, same system on

offense and defense for several years, huge OL and DL players,

and blitzing, blitzing and more blitzing. Tulsa is a good team, that

was going to stop the NT offense any way they could. Tulsa did go

after the inexperienced freshmen, lots of bubble screens, reverses,

and single coverages. Our guy's learned alot the hard way.

I cannot beleive all the negative postings on this board regarding

how the team played, the burning of Riley Dodge's red shirt, and the

questioning of Coach Dodge's second season. This rebuilding of the

North Texas football program is going to take time. Coach Dodge has

brought in 2 great recruiting classes, and he is playing the best athletes

the team has. This team will develop and will get back to winning. Coach

Dodge, and Coach DeLoach are the guy's that will make this happen.

The North Texas defense and offense is made up of true freshmen,

red shirt freshment, and sophmores, with very few juniors and seniors.

These players did not quit. There are developing stars on this team now,

that makes the future look very good. This is the beginning of the second

season of Dodge Ball and many NT fans are expecting miracles over night.

Calm down, the sky is not falling. LSU will be tough, but, our guys will

learn from this game as well.

I brought my 8 year old to the game and he had a great time. I am not an alum of UNT but came to the game as my bro attended both UNT (undergrad) and Tulsa (Law). I have family in Tulsa as well and have always cheered for the Canes. So here are my unbiased opinions on UNT. The OL is bad. UNT roster has lots of skill guys but not many hogs. That needs to change...soon. The defense looked totally baffled against TU and didn't seem to make adjustments. The atmosphere before the game was good but I hope that stadium referendum passes because all the seats are too far from the field. I think UNT could be a solid program if the facilities are upgraded and the right coach gets in there....not sure if Dodge is that guy or not.

My thoughts on the game. The guy's played their ass's off, alot of

gut's, and some very impressive North Texas players!

Charlie, don't disagree at all.

I cannot beleive all the negative postings on this board regarding

how the team played, the burning of Riley Dodge's red shirt, and the

questioning of Coach Dodge's second season. This rebuilding of the

North Texas football program is going to take time.

Well, I for one mentioned that I thought the team played hard. I thought the offense did some good things. There are some playmakers and they are improving slowly. Time is another thing. I want to see some improvement over last year, and I didn't see a lot last Saturday.

Coach Dodge has

brought in 2 great recruiting classes, and he is playing the best athletes

the team has. This team will develop and will get back to winning. Coach

Dodge, and Coach DeLoach are the guy's that will make this happen.

The North Texas defense and offense is made up of true freshmen,

red shirt freshment, and sophmores, with very few juniors and seniors.

These players did not quit. There are developing stars on this team now,

that makes the future look very good. This is the beginning of the second

season of Dodge Ball and many NT fans are expecting miracles over night.

Calm down, the sky is not falling. LSU will be tough, but, our guys will

learn from this game as well.

I agree with everything you've written, but I don't think it's too much to ask for 'our guys' to not jump offside, to wrap up when tackling, and to not quit. Nor is pointing that out a negative thing. There is no excuse for stupid penalties, and being undisciplined. I agree that there is a bright future ahead, as well.

UNT fans should always have high expectations. I'm sure the team and coaches feel the same way and don't want to accept getting thrashed on their home turf either. It should hurt and everyone concerned is working to improve, I'm sure. :mellow:

063007_1934_YouCanChang1.jpg

Edited by LongJim

Here's my one positive thought:

Isn't it ironic that Todd Dodge spends two recruiting seasons loading up on WRs that aren't panning out early on, but has somehow managed to get three hoss running backs - Mosley, Montgomery, and Dunbar - who have been able to contribute right away in both seasons?

Is it too late to switch and run the 'Bone for the rest of the year with those three in the back field? ;)

We need some of the clever/marketing types to come up with a nickname for our three-headed monster of a backfield. (And, we need Dodge to go ahead and use them more in the games so we can maybe win one...huh :ph34r: )

Special teams were bad last year and this year is no different. I have my notions why, but we will just have to see how it plays out.

I thought Riley added a spark off the bench to the team. In fact, the first play he was out there, Tulsa called a T.O. to try and make sure they stopped whatever they were going to run.

I enjoyed watching DeLoach coach on the sidelines. I am happy to have him back. He will get the Defense turned around, it is just going to take this year, next and probably the next.

Patience.

I agree on Deloach and said as much over the summer. The guy didn't walk back in here with the 2002 unit at his disposal. Sadly, Dodge's high school defensive coordinator wasted last year's nine returning starters on his crappy scheme. Deloach is starting from scratch - and it ain't like Dodge's first two recruiting class have helped him much either.

They're going to have to get at least one JUCO DE and DT, I believe.

In fact, when you look at the whole thing, there are enough skill players already on the roster that Dodge could realistically use every 2009 scholarship on offensive and defensive linemen. But, we won't be so lucky, I'm sure.

I agree on Deloach and said as much over the summer. The guy didn't walk back in here with the 2002 unit at his disposal. Sadly, Dodge's high school defensive coordinator wasted last year's nine returning starters on his crappy scheme. Deloach is starting from scratch - and it ain't like Dodge's first two recruiting class have helped him much either.

They're going to have to get at least one JUCO DE and DT, I believe.

In fact, when you look at the whole thing, there are enough skill players already on the roster that Dodge could realistically use every 2009 scholarship on offensive and defensive linemen. But, we won't be so lucky, I'm sure.

So you agree to give Deloach a couple of years to get his players in for his defense to be successful, yet you criticize Dodge for a lack of success? Not sure I follow your logic, but hey, this is a message board to post opinions.

So you agree to give Deloach a couple of years to get his players in for his defense to be successful, yet you criticize Dodge for a lack of success? Not sure I follow your logic, but hey, this is a message board to post opinions.

How many DB's, LB's, DT's, DE's, has Dodge recruited compared to the number of QB's & WR's? How can you not follow the logic? But hey, this is a message board... :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Got5onIt

Although I didn't get to see the entire game, I wanted to post my thoughts after calming down over the weekend, so I'll just let fly:

Things I was concerned with:

Secondary is a work in progress, to put it mildly. I know they're young back there, but guys have to make the tackle. No other way around it. Painful to watch guys clutching at air, out of position, getting punked. Chin up, because I think they will be looking a lot better later this year.

DL got manhandled by third quarter. I'm not going to rehash the OL/DL issues, because the guys played hard, but need to get serious about developing this area. No pressure from DL, essentially. Pitch and catch for Tulsa's QB/WR's.

Stud WR/QB/RB is pointless without the trench guys. 1999-era Texas Tech lite. Not what UNT should be doing.

Senseless penalties. Must stop. No excuse for jumping offside and shooting yourself in the foot all the time. Hard to make 3rd and a mile because of idiotic penalties.

Riley's redshirt. Don't want to talk about it. He's a great athlete, but why not take the pain now, and save the shirt? Don't understand it. Dodge has a plan, I guess, and that's to get the young players out there and turn them loose. I can go with that if that's the plan, but I just wonder why you essentially burn a year of your stud QB's playing time.

DeLoach has a big job to do. Good luck, coach.

Good things:

Vizza, overall, I believe played well. I would like to have seen him run more, but whatever. Montgomery showed some good speed, and nice moves. Riley ran good routes, and caught the football, and flashed 1A speed. On that count, his debut was a success.

That's pretty much all I've got positive.

EDIT--Somehow left out Dunbar's game--(thanks Smitty)--DEFINITELY a bright spot for the O.

I would add we now have a place kicker for long field goals....in 40 plus yd kicks for 6 points., LB Craig Robertson had 9 tackles to 13 for Nwigwe (10 solo), I was excited by NT's running game, ...Lance Dunbar, Riley Dodge, Cam Montgomery, and Vizza had some outstanding runs....don't remember if we had any QB sacks...know he had to move around a lot.