Important Game Tonight

I know its on and everything, but why is it an IMPORTANT GAME? I guess it's important if you are a Bayklor or Wake Forest fan, but is there something else I am missing here? I know it's Briles first baylor game, so? I know Wake is rated at #23 ijn the nation to start the year, so? What else for a Mean Green fan would make this an IMPORTANT GAME? Again, I get it if you are a Demon Deacon or a Bear, but this is a UNT board. Just wondering?

But, to pick in this one, I would have to say GO BEARS! Texas team, Big XII, new coach and a dreadful program...could use the win! :blink:

I guess it's a little amazing that the importance of Briles' and Jones' first seasons have to be spelled out, but...

-Briles of Baylor and Jones of SMU both employ spread offenses...as does Dodge at UNT.

-Briles and Jones have had success at the highest level of college football as head coaches...Dodge has not.

-Briles, Jones, and Dodge all coach for schools that heavily recruit the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

All this leads up to recruiting. If Baylor and SMU have winning seasons and get bowl bids this seasons, and we stumble around and have another losing seasons, it will be difficult for Todd Dodge to sell recruits on the upwardness of the UNT program when two guys that do the same thing offensively are already succeeding at it.

So, we go back to the original post. If Baylor, with their new spread coach, somehow upsets the #23 ranked team in the nation, it will turn heads. If that is combined with a Jones/SMU win tomorrow night and us getting thrashed in Manhatten...well, my guess is, it will turn recruits' heads as well. Kids don't like to lose.

Basically, this season could well set up whether or not Dodge has any recruiting clout at all. He already doesn't get the top players from his former high school - kids he himself coached. What will he have to sell kids on if he posts another losing season while Baylor and SMU post winning marks in the first year with their spread guys? That he is a high school legend?

The top kids in spread offenses around here already have Texas Tech as option one if they want to stay in Texas and play in a BCS conference. A successful Baylor seasons would give them another option in a BCS conference. SMU having a good season will turn up the heat even more - bigger conference, more national television exposure, bowl trips, etc.

I posted the same in the off-season, and it still holds true - we need to win now. The Baylor and SMU hires of coaches who run identical offenses to Todd Dodge has made this season critical in terms of future recruiting. There are three dogs (Briles, Jones, and Dodge) in the same back yard (the DFW recruiting area) with one pile of food to fight over (recruits who know and want to play in a spread offense and win in college). Someone will get the big morsels, the scraps will go to the rest.

So, tonight's game is important to our future. It is important that Wake Forest win. That's why tonight, we are all Demon Deacons. The food is in the bowl on the back porch; we'll see which dog wants it most.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I don't know...if we had just one blow out loss in the first week and then regrouped and kicked ass the rest of the season, I don't think that one game would hurt.

A blowout followed by 11 more crappy showings, however, would definitely be a problem. I really think we need more than 4 wins this year or we're going to be in big trouble.

I guess it's a little amazing that the importance of Briles' and Jones' first seasons have to be spelled out, but...

So, tonight's game is important to our future. It is important that Wake Forest win. That's why tonight, we are all Demon Deacons. The food is in the bowl on the back porch; we'll see which dog wants it most.

Good post, and I agree. I also think Wake will dismantle Baylor tonight, as Briles is playing catch up this year.

I don't know how important this particular game is in the grand scheme of things, but I definitely agree that Briles, Dodge, and Jones will be going after the same players. And the most successful coach/team on the field will usually win those recruiting battles. But I think both Briles and Jones pretty much get a one year free pass.

I thought that too. Man where did that kid come from, he is going to be pretty special.

Griffin is a nice player. You should have seen him and Gio go at it the state title game. Whew. Vizza rolled up 500 yards total offense against a defense that had 8 or 9 d-1 players. Griffin is a much better runner than passer but his game has improved since the state title game.

Whoever got the ball, be it Gio or Griffin, they were scary. They were both capable of beating you with their legs and their arm.

Would you rather be a contender every year or be a permanent doormat in the Big 12. UH was definitely the better choice, OU,UT,T$M,OSU, TT---who can BU beat in the Big 12 South?

I think he made a move that was good for him. He wanted a new challenge and the money was a great increase for he and his family.

Its all about the situation. Art Briles was becoming a hot little commodity at UH, I just don't get why he'd jump at the first major conference offer. Baylor's a career killer for coaches.

Well for starters he got a pretty huge increase in money, and he was probably thinking if he can go to Baylor and get them in some bowl games, then he will get noticed more than where he was at Houston. Might be a bad move on his part, but I bet Jim Grobe probably didn't think he was making a bad move when he went to coach a dormat Wake Forest team years ago.

--Better to rule in Hell than to be a servant in Heaven (Divine Comedy, I think)

Obviously Briles doesn't agree with that.

If given the invite, would you like North Texas to accept an invitation to join the Big 12? According to your statement, we should be ruling in the Belt than take a place in the Big 12 if offered.

Sorry...still can't see any significance to this game, and it was another blowout for the Bears at home. Too bad...I like that Griffin kid. He is young and he lacks experience (does that sound familiar), but the kid can play!

Yes, I would much prefer Baylor to Houston if I were coach. Big XII is a much better place to coach...much higher priority. Even prefer to live in Waco over Houston, especially if I were raising a family. That's just my opinion, of course.

The game had absolutely ZERO significance for UNT. because a coach runs a similar offense to Dodge does not , in my opinion, make it significant for UNT. Heck, with that logic I guess every game Baylor (and several other schools for that matter) plays will be a significant game for UNT. I'd better go buy some more TV's...mine does not have enough "pictures in a picture" to watch all the sugnificant games I will need to watch every week.

OK, Fake Lonnie...don't get all fired up about this...just having a little "fun with ya!"

GO MEAN GREEN...BUY SEASON TICKETS...GO TO THE GAMES...FILL FOUTS!