Gg Ii's Story On Hayden Fry

GreenBat

Why did SMU fire Fry?

According to Hayden Fry (as written in his book) he was approached by monied supporters of the SMU program who urged him to buy players. He refused.

Scroll to page 83 of his book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xFHvs1vNc...result#PPA89,M1

Now, as fond as I am of Coach Fry, he told a big fat lie to a reporter in Iowa who interviewed him for a 2004 article. Here is the quote from the article....

Hayden Fry knew it was time to move on when the pressing matter of the day was the layout of the women's locker room in the new basketball facility at North Texas State.

"As athletic director at North Texas State, I'd just hustled $26 million to build a new basketball arena," Fry, 75, recalled last week. "The women's coach knocked on my door, said there's an emergency and could I walk across the street with her to the arena.

"When I got there, we talked 35 minutes about how to arrange the women's locker room. I hustled $26 million and we've got an emergency with the bathroom.

"I walked back across the street and said to myself, 'Fry, you're out of your mind. We're going someplace else.' ''

The rest is University of Iowa football history. Fry became the most recognized coach in the state while revitalizing a Hawkeye program that had suffered through 19 straight non-winning seasons.

The basketball facility that he is talking about is the super pit. He had NOTHING to do with the fund raising and building of that facility. It was all done long before he arrived at North Texas.

Here is a link to the article.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS11/50708005

Edited by SilverEagle

According to Hayden Fry (as written in his book) he was approached by monied supporters of the SMU program who urged him to buy players. He refused.

Now, as fond as I am of Coach Fry, he told a big fat lie to a reporter in Iowa who interviewed him for a 2004 article. Here is the quote from the article....

Hayden Fry knew it was time to move on when the pressing matter of the day was the layout of the women's locker room in the new basketball facility at North Texas State.

"As athletic director at North Texas State, I'd just hustled $26 million to build a new basketball arena," Fry, 75, recalled last week. "The women's coach knocked on my door, said there's an emergency and could I walk across the street with her to the arena.

"When I got there, we talked 35 minutes about how to arrange the women's locker room. I hustled $26 million and we've got an emergency with the bathroom.

"I walked back across the street and said to myself, 'Fry, you're out of your mind. We're going someplace else.' ''

The rest is University of Iowa football history. Fry became the most recognized coach in the state while revitalizing a Hawkeye program that had suffered through 19 straight non-winning seasons.

The basketball facility that he is talking about is the super pit. He had NOTHING to do with the fund raising and building of that facility. It was all done long before he arrived at North Texas.

Interesting that Fry says the name Mean Green came from Mean Joe Greene but previous postings here suggest otherwise.....who knows?...the legend continues!!

Man, I hate to even bring this up. But I can understand how it has been misunderstood all these years, especially if the Great Hayden Fry say's so. And I can understand how even he could have been misled as well coming on board when he did in the early 70's. But he gives the nickname "Mean Green" credit to Mean Joe, and we now know that simply was not true. Could it be that possibly, Mean Joe is the reason why the nickname became so favorable over the years and stuck to this day? I'm not sure?

Rick