I'm willing to concede a lot of things, but I have a hard time granting that the hap-hazard (and I'm being generous) manner in which Bush handled this atrocity up until very recently is commendable. More likely it was a myriad of other factors working together.

Wars are hard to win when you have politicians running them. Bush, to his credit, has stayed the course. If anyone was the weak link, it was Rumsfield. Yes, Bush was Rumsfield's boss and mistakes were made.

And why do you call it an atrocity?

That's not what I'm saying at all. It's a well known fact that under Clinton's watch we had Bin Laden in our crosshairs and Clinton failed to pull the trigger.

Actually only half-true. The Clinton Administration did take a shot at Bin Laden and missed. Permission was needed to cross Pakistan's airspace, which is probably how AQ was tipped off and able to move him.

And why do you call it an atrocity?

Maybe not an atrocity per se, but the situation was definitely mishandled. Maybe a colossal foul-up remedied, bettered, or fixed by subsequent decision-making in the government and commanders and military personnel on the ground. If it were up to me, I'd give the credit for any situational improvement on the ground to those on the ground, the ones making the all the grass-roots COIN doctrine work.