The Chinese are very good 3-point shooters.

Now that we have an Olympics thread...

FENCING - what the hell? Now I know why there are never any highlight reels of saber fencing. Take all the action and compress it, maybe you'll have 6 seconds.

HANDBALL - I like this sport. Kinda like hockey, kinda like basketball, kinda like soccer.

SKEET SHOOTING - 60-year old man from Texas is the local hopeful. Any event where you can have a heart attack, get a pacemaker installed, and still make the Olympics 3 weeks later isn't a sport. But good luck, pal.

OPENING CEREMONIES - Other than the 2-hour beatdown of the parade of nations, it was a very impressive show. Couldn't even flip away and watch something else since there was no alphabetical order to the parade.

NBC - the lovefest with China is a bit over the top. I mean, I think it's great that China pulling off a wonderful Olympics so far, but would the network sit back in silence regarding things like pollution or the murder of Americans if this were any other country? Was there a deal made that the studio have that shot with a picture of Mao in the background? And I don't ever want to hear how the U.S. is the world's biggest polluter.

The Chinese are very good 3-point shooters.

SKEET SHOOTING - 60-year old man from Texas is the local hopeful. Any event where you can have a heart attack, get a pacemaker installed, and still make the Olympics 3 weeks later isn't a sport. But good luck, pal.

Actually he's a trap shooter, trap and skeet are completely different events. Also he's only 43.

My dad was on the National Champion Texas team with the guy and routinely out shot him. He's a really nice guy from St. Joe with enough money to build his own international trap field to practice on everyday. It really ticks my dad off that he didn't bother to try and qualify, though he insists that he'd much rather be home working instead....

OPENING CEREMONIES - Other than the 2-hour beatdown of the parade of nations, it was a very impressive show. Couldn't even flip away and watch something else since there was no alphabetical order to the parade.

I sorta like the parade of Nations....

FENCING - what the hell? Now I know why there are never any highlight reels of saber fencing. Take all the action and compress it, maybe you'll have 6 seconds.

Like soccer, you mean?

No really though, sabre is really kinda boring, or at least uninteresting. It's all just rush-stab and that's it. I don't quite understand the rules of engagement in that blade, but that's why I also like foil and epee more.

Edited by meangreendork

Phelps is 2-for-2. If he gets gold in every event he's in (8), he'll hold the record for most golds in an Olympics. With ANY medal in all 8 events, gold or otherwise, he'll be #2 on the all-time list of total medals (16, I think). If I remember correctly #1 has 18, so if he stays in shape for one more round in 4 years he should be the all-time #1 medal-winner.

Maybe he ahould add badminton, or if he has heart failure, skeet. That "heart attack" line cracked me up.

Maybe he ahould add badminton

Have you ever watched competitive badminton? Unbelievably fast and the players skill level is very impressive. I took it at NT for a PE credit and came away with a new respect for that game.

It was "THE BEST" watching the US Men's 4X100 relay take down the "smack talking" French team. HA! And, it that wasn't the best "finish" to a swim event I have ever seen, I can't imagine another one. Sooooooo glad I was able to "stay awake" to see it last night. Just absolutely made my day, heck, maybe my week. I didn't think too much "smack" was heard in the Olympic games, all that sportsmanship thing and all, but leave it to the Frogs to open their yaps and get their words shoved down their throats. Perhaps they should wait until AFTER the event next time. Great to see the guy doing the talking get "run down" in the final 50! Just PRICELESS!

OK, and as for you, Meangreendork, and your soccer comment, it deserves no comment. Unlike the French, but not so much you, no smack talking here! :lol:

It was "THE BEST" watching the US Men's 4X100 relay take down the "smack talking" French team. HA! And, it that wasn't the best "finish" to a swim event I have ever seen, I can't imagine another one. Sooooooo glad I was able to "stay awake" to see it last night. Just absolutely made my day, heck, maybe my week. I didn't think too much "smack" was heard in the Olympic games, all that sportsmanship thing and all, but leave it to the Frogs to open their yaps and get their words shoved down their throats. Perhaps they should wait until AFTER the event next time. Great to see the guy doing the talking get "run down" in the final 50! Just PRICELESS!

OK, and as for you, Meangreendork, and your soccer comment, it deserves no comment. Unlike the French, but not so much you, no smack talking here! :lol:

What is the best you have seen?

Another upset in the making...

Men's gymnatics team is leading the all-around competition. The last time the men won this was 1984 when the entire Soviet Bloc boycotted the games.

Before that... 1904 when only the U.S., Germany, and Switzerland fielded teams. Strangely, the U.S. also won silver and bronze because they had several teams.

Edited by UNTflyer

Another upset in the making...

Men's gymnatics team is leading the all-around competition. The last time the men won this was 1984 when the entire Soviet Bloc boycotted the games.

Before that... 1904 when only the U.S., Germany, and Switzerland fielded teams. Strangely, the U.S. also won silver and bronze because they had several teams.

I think the best we can do is Silver in Men's Gymnastics.