Weird Analog-to-digital Tv Question

I know this has been looming for a while now, so I've been waiting to hear a reason and haven't gotten one. So...for you trivia fiends on here, have you heard any sort of logic behind why a) the government felt it necessary to mandate that homes upgrade their technology, and B ) why tax dollars are funding the conversion for some homes? Sounds like lobbyists getting their way to me but I don't want to assume that is the case IF there is another (good) reason to do it.

Sorry, this is the right-wing part of me coming out :P

Edited by JesseMartin

A ) The government wants the analog spectrum for reallocation for other things like Wi-Max.

B ) Because the politicians will never pass up the chance to spend money and buy votes.

Personally, I think if you can't afford the $40 for a converter box, you need to be doing other things than watching television.

I only have a rabit ears on my TV now - where do I get a converter box?

Anywhere that you can purchase electronics should have them or be able to get them.

Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, Conns, Walmart, Target, etc.