Vito Blog Late Saturday

GrandGreen

The possibility of an increase in the student athletic fee or a fee specifically for a new stadium has been discussed as a possible way to fund a new stadium. “I wouldn’t do that, Rick wouldn’t do that. It’s up to the students,” UNT president Gretchen Bataille said of instituting a student fee. “The leaders are talking about it. It’s inappropriate for a president or an athletic director to tell the students what they ought to do.”

Interesting way to put it. I know that they are both involved in discussions about the fee.

I will come out and say that the UNT student body vote's down the additional fee for the new stadium because:

1. The vast majority of the UNT students remain apathetic to UNT athletics....just look to the east side stands.

2. Why should the student body incure the cost of a new stadium with a team with such a record? Remember, most of the current students can not equate winning record & UNT football since they have been enrolled.

3. Appears the UNT Daily is leaning against student funding.

4. If the student vote is before the start of the SBC games......well........"Adios Casablanca."

As a side note, a couple of decades ago, the North Texas students almost voted out football.

I will come out and say that the UNT student body vote's down the additional fee for the new stadium because:

1. The vast majority of the UNT students remain apathetic to UNT athletics....just look to the east side stands.

2. Why should the student body incure the cost of a new stadium with a team with such a record? Remember, most of the current students can not equate winning record & UNT football since they have been enrolled.

4. If the student vote is before the start of the SBC games......well........"Adios Casablanca."

As a side note, a couple of decades ago, the North Texas students almost voted out football.

I disagree on that point, Eagle. Of the games I attended last year (ok, I'll admit, only Homecoming and Navy), the east side was as full, and it seemed, noisier than the west. And, that wasn't because of the Navy fans for that game; they were in or near the end zones. I say "seemed" noisier, because Fouts has acoustics that causes crowd noise to dissipate.

It was at the end of the 1972 season (1-10). Your right, it almost passed. Rod Rust was fired at the end of that season and Hayden Fry was hired. Unless you're implying that there is some sort of anti-football DNA that has been passed on to every subsequent North Texas student generation, I don't see how that might be connected to this generation of students.

Believe me, the students in 1972 were much different than the students of today. During that era, there was a male student running for homecoming queen, and during that era, one candidate for student body president called himself "King Bizzaro" (I voted for him). I feel confident in saying that that 1972 vote was as much an anti-establishment vote as it was an anti-athletics vote. If it's any comfort to you, the students of today are a bunch of sheep compared to the students of 1972.

I disagree, EE. I am confident the fee will pass. The case for a new stadium is strong.

Fouts is decaying worse than the general public is aware. It takes 20 generators to provide power to Fouts for game day. The electrical and plumbing systems cannot be upgraded without laying a huge fee on the students. Estimates are that with rising costs, Fouts has maybe 8 years of use left.

I disagree, EE. I am confident the fee will pass. The case for a new stadium is strong.

Fouts is decaying worse than the general public is aware. It takes 20 generators to provide power to Fouts for game day. The electrical and plumbing systems cannot be upgraded without laying a huge fee on the students. Estimates are that with rising costs, Fouts has maybe 8 years of use left.

We talked to a student Saturday before the cookout working at a restaurant and asked if such a vote how would he feel. He was not much into athletics but wanted to know what would happen to Fouts. We said it could become more parking and that a new stadium could attract better opponents = more fans = more fans to restaurants = more tips and jobs for students. He said with that info he would probably vote for it then. This is how to win votes, explain the benefits for all students not just football fans.

We talked to a student Saturday before the cookout working at a restaurant and asked if such a vote how would he feel. He was not much into athletics but wanted to know what would happen to Fouts. We said it could become more parking and that a new stadium could attract better opponents = more fans = more fans to restaurants = more tips and jobs for students. He said with that info he would probably vote for it then. This is how to win votes, explain the benefits for all students not just football fans.

The plans for the Fouts area are: Opera House, parking garage, dorms, and an academic building.

All the more reason why there should be a huge press forward not only by students in favor of it, but the alumni to get the word out and explain why it is a good thing. At the rate this is going, especially if the UNT Daily is leaning against it and goes out to try and pull people towards their view, then this thing will fail without more info out there.

IMHO, I would like to see a new stadium. However, I posted my thoughts only on a student point of view.

Personally, I hope that the pro-active crowd, who wants the stadium, gets their butts in gear to drive a pro stadium campaign on campus as well as in the communities of the Dallas-Fort Worth area where the commuter students reside.

With a new stadium:

1. UNT has the vast possibilities to bring in higher profile football teams.

2. Generate $$ into the community.

3. Bring in better athletes due to the facilites that have been built and will be built due to the increased revenue.

Without the new stadium:

1. UNT may loose TD because of the promise of the new stadium.....

2. Loose TD's recruiting ability to take UNT to the next level of conference affiliation.

3. Have the "carrot-stick" statements from the administration on waiting to who/whom is going to donate the millions to build the stadium.

I am as pro UNT as anyone else on this board...........regardless..........of my other views that do not pertain to sports.