Fb News From Tonights Meeting

OldTimer

August 2, 2008

Kickoff event quick hits

8:56 PM Sat, Aug 02, 2008 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

I have to get down to writing for tomorrow's paper, but here are a couple of quick hits from UNT's annual kickoff event at the Mean Green Athletic Center.

Southlake Carroll linebacker Justin Padron has given up football due to health problems.

Wide receiver Evan Fentriss is struggling to overcome injuries and will meet with head coach Todd Dodge tomorrow to talk about his future with the program.

Troy Franklin of Celina will start his career as a defensive lineman due to depth concerns at the position.

Check back later for more notes. Notes from Vitto's blog.

Brett Vito story and notes

August 2, 2008

Kickoff event quick hits

I have to get down to writing for tomorrow's paper, but here are a couple of quick hits from UNT's annual kickoff event at the Mean Green Athletic Center.

Southlake Carroll linebacker Justin Padron has given up football due to health problems.

Wide receiver Evan Fentriss is struggling to overcome injuries and will meet with head coach Todd Dodge tomorrow to talk about his future with the program.

Troy Franklin of Celina will start his career as a defensive lineman due to depth concerns at the position.

Wow, no good news whatsoever. Did anyone at least pull any arse at this event?

Last year's recruiting class is looking less and less stellar overall and not one of those players has played a single down yet. :(

I wonder what ails Justin and hope it's not anything serious. Same thoughts for Evan... I was really looking forward to seeing him on the field this year.

I'd love to hear some good news for a change.

August 2, 2008

Kickoff event quick hits

Awesome!

I've been thinking todays cookout would bring good news, but instead I get kicked in the nuts a few times! The Fentriss news sucks!!

Edited by Green Crazy

I wonder what ails Justin and hope it's not anything serious. Same thoughts for Evan... I was really looking forward to seeing him on the field this year.

I'd love to hear some good news for a change.

Padron gives up football for health reasons

Justin Padron, a former Southlake Carroll linebacker and member of UNT’s 2007 recruiting class, has given up football due to complications from diabetes, Dodge said.

Padron spent last season as a redshirt.

Dodge will meet with Rice transfer and fellow Carroll graduate Evan Fentriss today to discuss his future with the team. The wide receiver has struggled to recover from a knee injury, but Dodge said he expects him to return.

Brett Vito story and notes

Somewhere in the story, it mentions that he is transferring to another school.

Thanks, Bill. It's actually in the Star-Telegram article here.

Thread already posted here by OT.

Linebacker Justin Padron has transferred to another school and will no longer play football, Dodge said. Padron struggled with diabetes and couldn’t withstand the sport’s rigors.

One bit of good news from last night is that one of the OTHER suspected players that may have been considering transferring out isn't and was there meeting with fans. :ph34r: Also that some of the new recruits coming in are massive in size for incoming freshmen. I have heard that Troy Franklin may have or already has broken the freshman bench press record at around 460lbs? He is my new favorite incoming player to watch and the one I pick to have the biggest, immediate impact on this team for this class.

A very impressive class indeed.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

One bit of good news from last night is that one of the OTHER suspected players that may have been considering transferring out isn't and was there meeting with fans. :ph34r: Also that some of the new recruits coming in are massive in size for incoming freshmen. I have heard that Troy Franklin may have or already has broken the freshman bench press record at around 460lbs? He is my new favorite incoming player to watch and the one I pick to have the biggest, immediate impact on this team for this class.

A very impressive class indeed.

Rick

My pick is Joe Hawthorne.

I do not think for one second that losing Justin Padron due to health reasons

has hurt the outstanding class that Coach Dodge and his staff have brought in.

What hurts is the fact Justin was a good football player that had great potential

to be a very good LB for North Texas. Dealing with his health is more important than

being a LB at North Texas. None the less, Coach Dodge's first two classes have

more very good and high rated players than I have ever seen in several years.

The talent level at NT has gone up several notches, which will payoff. The team

is going through a learning curve, young players that are gaining experience,

and now a DC that knows the college game. Sure the team will take a few hard

knocks this season. The important point is, there is noting that can replace on

the field experience. I remember reading in DCTF, the interview with Giovanni

Vizza. Even though Vizza was sacked 39 times, had a record 20 ints, he still came

back to pass for over 2300yds and 17 TD"s as a true freshman. Vizza said that

he would not change anything about his first year, and especially gaining the

game experience. I see the whole team in a transition with Coach Dodge and

his staff leading the way. This team will grow up some more this season, and

will have success. How much success? Who knows. That is why they play the

game.