Td's Quotes About A New Stadium

SUMG

if TD has faith, then i'm a believer as well

Amen Brother!!

Anyone see this nugget on the page?

"North Texas — Is in the process of planning a stadium that would seat 35,000 and can be expanded"

Plumm, you're getting your wish (sort of).

First, let me say this is good news.........but......I don't think that's big enough. I think it should be 45,000 and expandable to 70,000.

In the meantime, yes 35,000 is certainly large enough to seat everyone for most games, but the students are likely going to be substantially funding this stadium.

The events that they will most want to attend are the premier games against BCS teams and regional foes. Those games should sell out. How can you expect students to contribute so generously but then potentially be locked out of the premier events.

The stadium seating capacity should be based on enrollment plus however many tickets the Athletic Department figures that they are capable of selling.

Am I wrong on this? Shouldn't the students be guaranteed a seat to the most desirable events if they are already paying for it?

First, let me say this is good news.........but......I don't think that's big enough. I think it should be 45,000 and expandable to 70,000.

In the meantime, yes 35,000 is certainly large enough to seat everyone for most games, but the students are likely going to be substantially funding this stadium.

The events that they will most want to attend are the premier games against BCS teams and regional foes. Those games should sell out. How can you expect students to contribute so generously but then potentially be locked out of the premier events.

The stadium seating capacity should be based on enrollment plus however many tickets the Athletic Department figures that they are capable of selling.

Am I wrong on this? Shouldn't the students be guaranteed a seat to the most desirable events if they are already paying for it?

I hear every bit of what you are saying, as I do believe this thing should be built starting around the 45,000 seat area, however, I am just not sure we can build it that high in the next 5 years. We are having a heck of a time getting it built at 35,000 apparently (I say apparently because with the lack of info out there, I have no idea). Does the average student think about the notion of a 35,000 seat stadium not being able to hold all of the students that want to go - I don't think so. Since we have never had a problem with a lack of seating, I am sure it is hard to plan for something that has never happened.

I say yes--however, with 35K and open ends with nicely sculpted, sloping berms in the end zones, you've got another 15K in 'general admission' seats until the expansion takes place. I personally like the idea of 35K+expansion as long as at least 1 end zone has lawn seating availability.

I say yes--however, with 35K and open ends with nicely sculpted, sloping berms in the end zones, you've got another 15K in 'general admission' seats until the expansion takes place. I personally like the idea of 35K+expansion as long as at least 1 end zone has lawn seating availability.

And if you look at the topography of that area - a sloping lawn area in one end zone would not be that difficult to do.

How does it work for the students at UT? Don't they pay high student athletic fees anyway (higher than us) and they aren't guaranteed a seat? I thought it was just a lottery.

I believe it is a draw now for all home games? Used to be (25 years ago) you paid the 'athletics package' fee, and had a stamp on your ID, and they waved you in on the student side. Now you pay the fee, and still have a draw. I may be a little off on specifics now, though.

I do like the idea of having seating available on the lawn. I would like 45k, but I do see a lot of positive in getting the thing built at 35K + expandable with lawn seating also available.

Didn't Houston face a similar dilemma several years ago when they hosted Texas. Hastily constructed temporary student seating was not structuraly sound and the additional students sections were then moved to seating areas that had already been sold to Longhorns fans. The displaced Longhorn fans were given refunds but were unable to attend the game.

Now Texas will not play Houston again in Houston unless the game is played off campus in Reliant Stadium.

North Texas does not have a similar backup stadium available. Wouldn't it make sense to design one capable of accomodating the North Texas students, the North Texas fan base, and fans of the visiting team? North Texas has almost sold out the horrible Fouts Field stadium when hosting very small schools like TCU, Baylor, Tulsa, and SMU. Imagine what the situation will be if one of the larger Big Twelve schools comes to Denton. bringing in excess of 10,000 fans.

We don't have to wait long because Kansas State is already on the home schedule for September 25, 2010.

Edited by ADLER

Does the average student think about the notion of a 35,000 seat stadium not being able to hold all of the students that want to go - I don't think so. Since we have never had a problem with a lack of seating, I am sure it is hard to plan for something that has never happened.

We've already had one rabble-rouser on the Facebook page complaining about how students would have to pay the fee AND then pay for football tickets. I tried to straighten him out, but he claimed he is "already having to pay for tickets". I asked him to what game did he have to buy tickets and he disappeared. Judging from his profile, he's one of those artsy band geeks.

There will be no open end zones. One end is the closed end of a horseshoe, the other butts up against the balcony of the Athletic Center.

We've already had one rabble-rouser on the Facebook page complaining about how students would have to pay the fee AND then pay for football tickets. I tried to straighten him out, but he claimed he is "already having to pay for tickets". I asked him to what game did he have to buy tickets and he disappeared. Judging from his profile, he's one of those artsy band geeks.

I realize it failed the first time, but if it is done correctly, it will pass. In 2-4 years from now, this will be a non-issue and no one will care that they have part of their student fees going to the stadium or athletics. The more this team wins, the less this will be an issue. I would be willing to bet we are one of the few schools in which the students get in free still to athletics games (as StanR pointed out UT has a lottery system just to buy tickets).