Unt's Dodge Pushes For New Stadium In 2010

UNTflyer

Hell, I'd be happy if they just turn dirt by 2010! :ph34r:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we turn dirt by this fall then there will be plenty of time to have the stadium operational for the 2010 season. We have the design firm selected who I would assume has been designing said stadium since their selection this spring. The flood and grading studies have been completed to our knowledge. Once the go ahead is given, then we should be able to turn the dirt pretty quickly. We didn't cancel the hotel lease for nothing. We didn't purchase all of the Eagle Point land many moons ago for nothing. We didn't get our Title 9 ducks in a row so quickly for nothing. We didn't put the baseball program on the back burner for nothing. Where is Moot when we need him.

Edited by Eagle-96

Actually, I've stated very often, much to the snickers and eye-rolling of some users of this board, that there will be a major announcement before the end of this next school year (probably before the end of the season).

No disrespect, but we've been waiting on the "big announcement" for 3-4 years now. Wasn't the last one scheduled for Jan/Feb of this year? So you're saying that we could hear something by May of 2009? That really encouraging. <_<

No disrespect, but we've been waiting on the "big announcement" for 3-4 years now. Wasn't the last one scheduled for Jan/Feb of this year? So you're saying that we could hear something by May of 2009? That really encouraging. <_<

Mr. Dennett, with all due respect, and remember, I'm sayin with all due respect.

If we turn dirt by this fall then there will be plenty of time to have the stadium operational for the 2010 season. We have the design firm selected who I would assume has been designing said stadium since their selection this spring. The flood and grading studies have been completed to our knowledge. Once the go ahead is given, then we should be able to turn the dirt pretty quickly. We didn't cancel the hotel lease for nothing. We didn't purchase all of the Eagle Point land many moons ago for nothing. We didn't get our Title 9 ducks in a row so quickly for nothing. We didn't put the baseball program on the back burner for nothing.

So it seems all our ducks are in a row. But the biggest duck--big money--is nowhere in sight.

EDIT: At least, it's nowhere in my sight. I really, really hope that things are going on behind closed doors to line up that final duck.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Not to rain on the new stadium excitement, but I'm on the side of the doubters that have just heard too much talk and too little action.

I just found this little tidbit of information that I think many will find interesting. Here's a little peek "behind those closed doors" from Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate March 5, 2008, 2:00 PM, Conference Room, Hurley Administration Bldg:

ii. Football Stadium. The President emphasized that this will only move

forward once at least half of the approximate costs are raised as State

funds are not able to be used for this purpose. The architectural firm is

the same one that is building the new Dallas Cowboys stadium and is

aware that they only have $300,000 to do the site study. The President

noted that she was able to provide the $300,000 from State funds as the

area would need a site review for any purpose, such as building dorms

or classrooms. She expects that once half of the costs are raised that the

other half will be quickly gathered from donors.

Also of interest:

iii. Oversight of Development Office. The President asked for more

clarification. A case was raised where a development officer held onto

some donor checks from a gala and did not deposit them in a timely

manner with the end result of the checks being invalid when they were

taken to be deposited. The officer no longer works for the University.

Provost Wilkins noted that they are moving towards a system of shared

accountability with a development officer being attached to each School

and College and joint reporting to the Deans and to the Development

Office. Due to the fiscal implications for the colleges and schools, this

process will occur in yearly stages. The President stressed that the

situation being raised is certainly not the norm but encouraged more

communication between Deans, development officers, and those faculty

organizing events.

And, last but not least...some more encouraging news:

iv. Alumni Visits. The President is focusing her visits in areas with a large

number of alumni and setting up return visits to prospective donors. She

is pleased with the efforts. The Emerald Ball was successful with

approximately 400 donors, administrators and faculty attending. Ten

Emerald Eagles attended as guests as did a number of newspaper

reporters. Senator Doherty suggested tracking and publicizing the data

on the disciplines of alumni purchasing tickets as this would encourage

more faculty to attend. Provost Wilkins noted that she is currently

investigating how on campus events are handled and a possible subsidy

for faculty to selected events. She is also advocating for a “planned

giving” campaign for faculty and noted that donor numbers are a very

important statistic. The President noted that the UNT Foundation is a

selection on the ESSC campaign but is not emphasized as much as she

would like.

I'm holding my breath. I just hope I don't die from lack of oxygen before a ground-breaking ceremony is announced.

Not to rain on the new stadium excitement, but I'm on the side of the doubters that have just heard too much talk and too little action.

I just found this little tidbit of information that I think many will find interesting. Here's a little peek "behind those closed doors" from Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate March 5, 2008, 2:00 PM, Conference Room, Hurley Administration Bldg:

Also of interest:

organizing events.

would like.

I'm holding my breath. I just hope I don't die from lack of oxygen before a ground-breaking ceremony is announced.

VERY, VERY nice find. Thanks for posting. So if the number of the estimated cost of $60 million is correct, then this lines up with the statement she made in one of the student meetings when she said UNT was 30 million dollars away from starting the project. Unless they have made very significant progress, we appear to be quite aways off.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Also of interest:

organizing events.

would like.

What a find. All of this tells me that we will not see a new stadium any time soon. Unless it is some sort of partnership with the city or some sort of business expansion that will partner with the athletic department, I don't think it happens in today's economic climate. It will not be the result of a large donation. How does a company justify a large donation to build a stadium when you are laying off people. It doesn't fly. An additional student fee is the only way that I see this working. If that is not going to happen, then I am putting the idea (hope) away for better times.

With this whole situation being handled by UNT, I just dont see how donors. alumni, businesses, corporations can give money to this project. I know I wouldnt and dont have faith in donating because I just cant see this project being taken off with the way things are getting handled. There isnt a soul in the administration talking about it and I just dont know why. There is no reason to be hush hush about it. Make your voice loud and known that this is what you want to do. UNT just fails to do that. Pathetic.

With this whole situation being handled by UNT, I just dont see how donors. alumni, businesses, corporations can give money to this project. I know I wouldnt and dont have faith in donating because I just cant see this project being taken off with the way things are getting handled. There isnt a soul in the administration talking about it and I just dont know why. There is no reason to be hush hush about it. Make your voice loud and known that this is what you want to do. UNT just fails to do that. Pathetic.

I wholeheartedly agree. I can understand a silent phase, but we've been in a silent phase for 5+ years. The only communications we get from the university is the occasional informational pump fake from the Athletic Department, which is immediately followed by silence for months. I feel like a dog whose owner keeps pretending to throw the ball. After a while, you just get tired of chasing the ball that is never thrown in the first place.

Talk about it! Raise Awareness! Drum Up Support! Use Capital Letters!

EDIT:

I just wanted to add on that if you are testing the patience of die hard alums, such as those who post on this board, how hard must you be whipping the apathy wagon for those with only a passing interest?

I don't think that the organization is totally opposed to the idea of a stadium. I just think that there's no real champion for it outside of the Athletic Department. And there certainly isn't a consensus that it is the best expenditure of 30 million dollars. So, after everything balances out, we are left with that all-too familiar apathy. And you know what they say about that stuff rolling downhill, right?

Ah, yes. The seemingly endless silent phase that has raised zero dollars. None, nada, zilch. But wait! :o Mandy to the rescue!

Guess one can say RV is loyal to employees. Just hope he does not sink with the ship that is already taking on water and no promotion will change the fact that he can not bail the water out fast enough. RV had better hope there is a stadium going up by 2010 or he will searching for a new coach and more than likely more loyal fans.

How can you even say that?

HKS hired to design stadium

Radisson lease canceled

Marketing firm hired to find stadium sponsor

Corporate papers doubled

Head coach demanding new stadium in 2 years

Some big meeting at the Gateway Center last week regarding stadium

To say there is too little action...? Do you expect RV to invite you to lunch to talk lay out the entire plan?

Edited by UNTflyer

July of 2009. That would be a 14 month project, which is how long it took to build SMU's stadium once the land was cleared.

An attempt to get things rolling with the student population will be this fall. Not next spring. And if successful, this will be a very very big announcement.

Edited by Travis

They owe it to the recruits last year that were told they would play in a new stadium their senior year. 2007-Freshman 2008-Sophomore 2009-Junior 2010-Senior. RV better get on the ball or we'll be looking for a new coach and star qb.

Ya know, you are right. Why not buy the things we can legally buy. Not that a star QB costs in the millions but these are things that show progress in an athletic department that are legal to buy!

Edited by GreenAlums

How can you even say that?

Marketing firm hired to find stadium sponsor

Awesome...the guarantee that they will find ANYONE willing to listen this late in the game is where? *crickets*

Head coach demanding new stadium in 2 years'
That's nice but answer me this. How does this make one single dollar magically appear...and why isn't this simply the red flag that we may need to get together one of our ever so successful coach "search" committees soon?

Some big meeting at the Gateway Center last week regarding stadium

I'd be interested to see the minutes from that meeting...then again so would ANYONE in this fan base.

To say there is too little action...? Do you expect RV to invite you to lunch to talk lay out the entire plan?

Nope. I'd settle for a meeting with all of the "share holders" in some large room where even minute details are shared or the presence of a plan, any plan, is revealed. Just for giggles maybe it could done, oh I don't know, quarterly...

Awesome...the guarantee that they will find ANYONE willing to listen this late in the game is where? *crickets*

That's nice but answer me this. How does this make one single dollar magically appear...and why isn't this simply the red flag that we may need to get together one of our ever so successful coach "search" committees soon?

I'd be interested to see the minutes from that meeting...then again so would ANYONE in this fan base.

Nope. I'd settle for a meeting with all of the "share holders" in some large room where even minute details are shared or the presence of a plan, any plan, is revealed. Just for giggles maybe it could done, oh I don't know, quarterly...

This late in what game? The Cowboys stadium is almost finished and there still isn't a corporate sponsor. And Brighthouse Stadium at UCF didn't have a sponsor until 13 months before opening.

Red flags about Dodge leaving? I just don't see it.

I agree, we need a MGC quarterly meeting. Has anyone emailed RV or Mandy about this? I will that later tonight.

This late in what game? The Cowboys stadium is almost finished and there still isn't a corporate sponsor. And Brighthouse Stadium at UCF didn't have a sponsor until 13 months before opening.

Red flags about Dodge leaving? I just don't see it.

I agree, we need a MGC quarterly meeting. Has anyone emailed RV or Mandy about this? I will that later tonight.

So you're saying the city of Arlington is gonna pass a bond issue for our stadium too? Or just that we have a billionaire behind it if anything were to fall through? Man, you really do know some inside information that we don't.

So you're saying the city of Arlington is gonna pass a bond issue for our stadium too? Or just that we have a billionaire behind it if anything were to fall through? Man, you really do know some inside information that we don't.

I don't even know how to respond to such a non sequitur.

I'm saying it is not "late in the game" to get a sponsor.

I'm saying we've seen more movement on the stadium in the last 6 months than we've seen in the last 6 years.

I'm saying that I agree with you regarding the lack of communication from the MGC and AD.

I'm saying that the "inside information" that I have, which really isn't "inside" information but rather just stuff that is quietly talked about publicly, indicates that we will see major events regarding the stadium fall into place this school year. Remember what I told you at the bar when we didn't see the Sun Belt tournament game when it happens this fall. We'll have a beer and cheer for the Green and cheer for the White.

I don't even know how to respond to such a non sequitur.

I'm saying it is not "late in the game" to get a sponsor.

I'm saying we've seen more movement on the stadium in the last 6 months than we've seen in the last 6 years.

I'm saying that I agree with you regarding the lack of communication from the MGC and AD.

I'm saying that the "inside information" that I have, which really isn't "inside" information but rather just stuff that is quietly talked about publicly, indicates that we will see major events regarding the stadium fall into place this school year. Remember what I told you at the bar when we didn't see the Sun Belt tournament game when it happens this fall. We'll have a beer and cheer for the Green and cheer for the White.

Ok, but only I can also cheer for the occasional black.

And that is totally a uniform color comment and not a racial one. Wouldn't want to "bait" any of our posters.

June Jones says he left Hawaii because of a lack of commitment from the university regarding facilities. Call it a lack of commitment, failure to get it done................whatever.

Hawaii fans and alumni say after he leaves, "I don't blame him! Shame on you U of Hawaii for not getting off your butt and doing something to keep him!"

June Jones rides off to a higher paying job and the majority of the people he left behind don't seem to blame him.

It's a win-win for him.

Now, let's try that again and fast forward a few years:

_______________ left __________ because of a lack of commitment from the university regarding facilities. Call it a lack of commitment, failure to get it done..................whatever.

___________ fans and alumni say after he leaves, "I don't blame him! Shame on you U of ______________ for not getting off your butt and doing something to keep him!"

________________ rides off to a higher paying job and the majority of the people he left behind don't seem to blame him.

It's a win-win for him.

If I were Coach _____ and I got to a certain university to find out things aren't happening the way he was led to believe they were, If I'm thinking ahead, I'd go ahead and start getting the message out there.

One message could be one like this quote..........."I've been told we'd open in 2010," _____________said. "That's when I'm holding them to it. For this program to go where it needs to go, we've got to get a new stadium."

I'm just saying...............