More Info On Flax Commit

OldTimer

Flax commits, ect

7:24 PM Mon, Jul 21, 2008 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

I just finished up writing my media days story and notebook for the DRC. While I was at it, I managed to pick up some recruiting news. Enjoy. And be sure to pick up a copy of the paper tomorrow.

The more Houston Cypress Ridge offensive lineman Keenan Flax saw of UNT, the more convinced he was that the school was the right place for him to continue his college career.

Flax (6-5, 270) said Monday that he has orally committed to play for the Mean Green after attending a camp at UNT over the weekend. Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits in the Class of 2009 can sign a letter of intent is Feb. 4.

"I went up there on three separate visits and liked the campus and the coaching staff," Flax said. "That is how I made up my mind. They talk about academics and setting you up with an academic coach. They remind me of my high school coaches."

Flax was an All-District 17-5A selection last season and is a former teammate of incoming UNT freshman cornerback Royce Hill.

Flax, who is expected to play guard or tackle for UNT, said he also received scholarship offers from New Mexico State, Georgia Tech, Colorado State, Buffalo and Arkansas.

"The coaches told me by the time I get there, some spots will be open because of the number of seniors who are on the team," Flax said.

Folks this is the type of recruiting NT is competing against going after the more qualified prospects and that along with the DT,DE positions (which is the most in demand) is why the recruiting effort is slow. As was pointed out recruiting is not a race, it is a marathon.

Flax (6-5, 270)

Bring on the Beef! Let's hold that line boys!

I would too. Something just doesn't add up as to why we wouldn't or haven't offered at this time.

So why has Flax drawn all this interest (Arkansas, Georgia Tech, NMSU, us, etc), yet it doesn't reflect on his "stars" rating?

And why does Huber come so highly rated and impressive, yet i recall he only had 3 offers at my last count (2 of them Army and SMU?).

Weird things swirlin' in the recruiting cooker.