Not sure how good it will be, but there will be one about America's Greatest Football fan featuring someone you may know, coming out in a year or two.

Stay tuned.

I'm doing a documentary titled, "The Building of the New UNT Football Stadium". Look for it on DVD....in 2027.

Jesus Camp, March of the Penguins, King of Kong, Wordplay and the Beuna Vista Social Club...if you want that documentary feel, but don't neccessarily care how "truthful" it is, you can not go wrong with any Christopher Guest movie (Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind).

Watching Ken Burns' 'Lewis and Clark' right now. It's excellent. The 'Planet Earth' series is fantastic, also.

A couple of others that are worth checking out if you are a 70's glam/punk rock and roll fan: "End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones". "The Filth and the Fury: A Sex Pistols Film", and "All Dolled Up" by Bob Gruen.

All sorts....

What are some topics you're into? I'll see if I can help you out.

Well I am in for any type as long as it is good and mostly truthful. I don't know what got me thinking about Documentaries, but I figured I could put together a pretty good list and start watching the ones all of you suggested.

I can't believe this one hasn't been brought up yet but Okie Noodling is an absolute must see. I first saw it about three years ago on PBS, then BaD Radio brought it back to my attention a couple weeks ago with a mention that Okie Noodling II is soon to come out. I experienced "Hand Fishin," as my crazy great uncle John from Thackerville called it, first hand at the age of nine. My uncle had just wrestled a channel cat, that in reality probably wasn't as big as I remember it, to the surface and I decided to grab it right in the center of its back when he handed it to me. Next thing I know my palm is burning like crazy and I'm getting a switch from mu uncle for losing his trophy.

Really though, if you've not seen it Okie Noodling will not disappoint.

Edited by Green P1

Speaking of King of Kong...someone challenge me at a game of Donkey Kong, I dare you...

On another note, checkout this documentary trailer...it's pretty awesome, especially if you don't know what larp'ing is.

Edited by GabeGMG

Another interesting doc is "Smartest Guys In The Room" It's the story of Enron.

I 2nd that notion. I just checked it out from the South Denton public library will be returning it tomorrow if anyones in for a good free movie.

RESOLVED- It's currently running on HBO, It's about the ubber competive world of high school debate. As an alumnus from the activity I identified with a lot of it and even saw people I know in the film. In the end I came to agree and root for the protagionist in the film. (There's even a UNT mention in the film!)

From IMDB "The fascinating complexity of high school debate gives way to a portrait of the equally complex racial and class bias of American education in Greg Whiteley's riveting documentary. Initially a portrait of top-flight debaters from well-funded, mostly white schools-like nationally ranked Sam Iola and Matt Andrews of Highland Park, Texas-the film deepens when it changes focus to Richard Funches and Louis Blackwell from Long Beach's Jordan squad. While gifted traditional debaters in their own right, the two decide to challenge the usefulness of the jargon-filled, 400-word-per-minute style of modern debate (known as "the spread") by steering their debates toward issues of personal experience and dialogue.... Contrasting Fuches and Blackwell's attempt to challenge the system with Andrews' relentless pursuit to excel in it and win the prestigious Tournament of Champions, Whiteley deftly explores the disparities between the debaters, their styles, and their resources. Alternately inspiring and polarizing, Resolved reveals a constantly shifting sport that is as much philosophy as competition. - Travis Miles (Los Angeles Film Festival)

Go Tigers! - IMDB "Go Tigers!"is a rare behind-the-scenes chronicling of a remarkable season for the Massillon Tigers high school football team, played out in a small rustbelt town that draws its identity from football. During the course of the season, THREE YOUNG STARS emerge who are forced to carry the burden of the town and their teammates as they confront their uncertain future."

Friends of God As an evangelical christian I began to watch this one expecting a slam, mocking, or misunderstanding film. I have to admit it wasnt the case. Pelosi may not have the same beliefs as her film subjects, but she isn't disrespectful of them. From IMDB " Documentary filmmaker Alexandria Pelosi tours red state America examining the practices, politics and beliefs of fundamentalist evangelical Christians. Interviewees include Jerry Falwell ...and Ted Haggard, disgraced former leader of the National Association of Evangelicals, and members of the Christian professional wrestling circuit. "

"Power, Passion, & Glory - The real story of Texas football madness" - Documentary about Celina TX and it's football team

Link

Edited by Baby Arm!

RESOLVED- It's currently running on HBO, It's about the ubber competive world of high school debate. As an alumnus from the activity I identified with a lot of it and even saw people I know in the film. In the end I came to agree and root for the protagionist in the film. (There's even a UNT mention in the film!)

From IMDB "The fascinating complexity of high school debate gives way to a portrait of the equally complex racial and class bias of American education in Greg Whiteley's riveting documentary. Initially a portrait of top-flight debaters from well-funded, mostly white schools-like nationally ranked Sam Iola and Matt Andrews of Highland Park, Texas-the film deepens when it changes focus to Richard Funches and Louis Blackwell from Long Beach's Jordan squad. While gifted traditional debaters in their own right, the two decide to challenge the usefulness of the jargon-filled, 400-word-per-minute style of modern debate (known as "the spread") by steering their debates toward issues of personal experience and dialogue.... Contrasting Fuches and Blackwell's attempt to challenge the system with Andrews' relentless pursuit to excel in it and win the prestigious Tournament of Champions, Whiteley deftly explores the disparities between the debaters, their styles, and their resources. Alternately inspiring and polarizing, Resolved reveals a constantly shifting sport that is as much philosophy as competition. - Travis Miles (Los Angeles Film Festival)

Have not seen it, I'll check it out.

Go Tigers! - IMDB "Go Tigers!"is a rare behind-the-scenes chronicling of a remarkable season for the Massillon Tigers high school football team, played out in a small rustbelt town that draws its identity from football. During the course of the season, THREE YOUNG STARS emerge who are forced to carry the burden of the town and their teammates as they confront their uncertain future."

Excellent film, shows the support of Massillon as a town.

Friends of God As an evangelical christian I began to watch this one expecting a slam, mocking, or misunderstanding film. I have to admit it wasnt the case. Pelosi may not have the same beliefs as her film subjects, but she isn't disrespectful of them. From IMDB " Documentary filmmaker Alexandria Pelosi tours red state America examining the practices, politics and beliefs of fundamentalist evangelical Christians. Interviewees include Jerry Falwell ...and Ted Haggard, disgraced former leader of the National Association of Evangelicals, and members of the Christian professional wrestling circuit. "

Sounds interesting!

"Power, Passion, & Glory - The real story of Texas football madness" - Documentary about Celina TX and it's football team

Link

The class of all football films. I have not seen a better movie, scripted or documentary that moved me as much as this one did. The great Pat Summerall is truly in his element as the narrator. TWO THUMBS UP!!