Well, This Is Bad News/good News

flyeater

This hurts. It'll be interesting to see how DeLoach compensates.

...reiterating: we have someone who knows how to compensate. FWIW, our influx of DB talent puts us in a position to be pretty creative behind the line.

These losses do hurt, but I have so much more confidence in this defense this year with DeLoach on the sidelines. Besides, he wasn't going to turn this defense completely around in the first season anyways.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, how many more decades do we need to wait before they admit those options are exhausted?

And even with, best case scenario here, they find that elusive naming sponsor, can you imagine the P.O.S. stadium that they may want built? Remember that krap stadium design where the fans were all stuck on upper decks while the stadium was designed to cater to the non-existant fans of mystery company by placing the corporate boxes at field level? If you guys think Fouts was a shitty design.....this new stadium would guarantee fans wouldn't want to attend games and would knock the program back into the 1AA ranks.

football%20stadium%201.JPG

Be careful what you hope for, you may get it. That stadium would never be replaced and North Texas would eventually lose football because of it.

On the other hand, the university administration could decide to do what's long overdue and Fix The Problem.

What makes you think that the students would vote for a fee if there is no backing from alumni/donors/corporations?

Well, how many more decades do we need to wait before they admit those options are exhausted?

Decades? What are you talking about? We've only been D-I since 1998, and there was no need for a new stadium even in the transitional period. Do you think the Cowboys just thought of building a new stadium 1 or 2 years ago? It's a damn slow process, and considering we're this far along (architects, naming-rights firms) just since RV came, I'd say we're at least on the right track. You can't possibly be bitching that we've needed a stadium for decades, and the "problem" has been ignored that long. That's nuts. How many big programs are actually building stadiums right now? One? To my memory, Minnesota is it. Sure, FIU and FAU have plans, but they've been in high school stadiums in worse shape than Fouts. Most programs are simply improving on existing infrastructure (TCU, Stanford, WKU etc.) or they're non-BCS programs who went through the same painstaking process (Troy, UCF, whoever I'm forgetting) to construct new houses that I'm guessing won't compare to what we end up with if we do this right.

Point is, virtually no one is building from the ground up right now. If we had a decent, rennovation-ready place, you're talking something entirely different. But starting from dirt...that's an absolute bitch. If it's 2010, I'm stoked, and I'm there. If later, well, I can't imagine much later if RV and TD are throwing out a year publicly.

Check that, forgot FIU is about done with a new place, but they fall into my point about Troy and UCF.

Edited by flyeater

What makes you think that the students would vote for a fee if there is no backing from alumni/donors/corporations?

Excellent point.

BTW, that stupid stadium design has been obsolete for nearly 3 years. It needs to disappear from this board permanently. All it does is foster confusion and pointless conversation/debate. Stop posting it, all who have.

Edited by flyeater

3. Dodge continues to rave about new arrivals, in particular DB Kylie Hill, DB/KR James Hamilton, DB Royce Hill, DB Adryan Adams, DB Justin Edwards...see a pattern?

This is a positive out of Phillip's article. At least something good is working according to the word of media.

Edited by Dodge2007

Those alumni/donors/corporations contributions are the result of a commitment to winning. The fee is the foundation for that commitment.

Please describe, without some fairytale lottery scenario, how it could be done any differently.

Excellent point.

BTW, that stupid stadium design has been obsolete for nearly 3 years. It needs to disappear from this board permanently. All it does is foster confusion and pointless conversation/debate. Stop posting it, all who have.

True, it is the old concept of Sparks Engineering of Tulsa of the design which was configured only to cater to the desires of any company willing to be a title sponsor. In the misguided effort, those things called "fans" were pushed aside for the benefit of the hordes of die-hard North Texas enthusiasts that would be packing this company's corporate level.

The old illustration was only used here to represent the dangers associated with excessively catering to the whims of a title sponsor.

You know, you have a good point, as did H-towngreen in mentioning Russo. Honestly, Russo was a first team all state selection as a senior on a state championship team; were we just planning on using him as a backup, and what of Marquis Sykes, first team all-district as a senior, and his team's defensive mvp and leading tackler, another reserve? We need to start looking at the players we do have, many of whom were highly recruited. Honestly, just looking at the bios of players like Draylen Ross, I have to wonder if in fact, the Dickey regime didn't have some pretty good defensive players who ended up not being well used by our DC Mendoza last year. The local high school here, Euless Trinity, has offensive and defensive linemen that are highly praised, but they won a state championship last year with an o-line that was patched up due to injuries early on, leading to a rotation scheme which became a strength in the playoffs. On the defensive side, Mao Leota and Robert Griffin hardly played any significant time in the state championship game. I'll never forget reading what Coach Lineweaver said, that rotating players frequently was a good morale builder.

Not saying anything in particular but dont get too hyped up over a couple of the names you mentioned...the attrition this season is not over.

Not sure what is positive about that blog. NT loses one of their most highly rated recruits and it is again demonstrated why mythical recruiting championships mean nothing in the Belt. Getting those signatures look good in recruiting season but, as anyone who has followed MTSU and Troy recruiting should know it doesn't matter much if those higher rated football players but definite academic risks never play. Troy does seem to get a lot of them in school although in many cases a year or more later. I hope the other two Mississippi jucos do make it here, if so NT has probably done better than average when dipping into that particular recruiting pool.

As far as the stadium, I guess that was more positive than stating that the project was definitely a no-go, but not much more. After years to me it seems the message is, Hey there still is a chance for new stadium but NT still has not raised any significant funds to actually build. IMO, it sounds like a continuation of NT's policy of not really committing to anything but lets string this along some more. If nothing is built, the AD will be gone anyway; so nothing is lost if he continues to offer a little hope, and who knows NT might land that big donor from somewhere. No matter, there couldn't be a worst time for trying to sell the corporate world on making a big donation.

3. Dodge continues to rave about new arrivals, in particular DB Kylie Hill, DB/KR James Hamilton, DB Royce Hill, DB Adryan Adams, DB Justin Edwards...see a pattern?

This is a positive out of Phillip's article. At least something good is working according to the word of media.

3-3-5 anyone? Might explain Dawson moving to FS. If I'm not mistaken FS jump up to cover the Mike position on certain plays. Dawson would certainly be capable of doing that.

Not sure what is positive about that blog. NT loses one of their most highly rated recruits and it is again demonstrated why mythical recruiting championships mean nothing in the Belt. Getting those signatures look good in recruiting season but, as anyone who has followed MTSU and Troy recruiting should know it doesn't matter much if those higher rated football players but definite academic risks never play. Troy does seem to get a lot of them in school although in many cases a year or more later. I hope the other two Mississippi jucos do make it here, if so NT has probably done better than average when dipping into that particular recruiting pool.

As far as the stadium, I guess that was more positive than stating that the project was definitely a no-go, but not much more. After years to me it seems the message is, Hey there still is a chance for new stadium but NT still has not raised any significant funds to actually build. IMO, it sounds like a continuation of NT's policy of not really committing to anything but lets string this along some more. If nothing is built, the AD will be gone anyway; so nothing is lost if he continues to offer a little hope, and who knows NT might land that big donor from somewhere. No matter, there couldn't be a worst time for trying to sell the corporate world on making a big donation.

See, this should show most of us just how "out of touch" our leaders seem to be when it comes to raising money for this stadium project.

You thinking we might go to a 0-0-11 defense?

DE - Latif Nurudeen

DT - Greg Garden

DT - Germain Dawson

DE - DaWaylon Cook

OLB - Kartay Agbottah

MLB - Darien Williams

OLB - Royce Hill

CB - Antoine Bush

CB - Adryan Adams

FS - Kylie Hill

SS - Justin Edwards

Fastest defense in the Sun Belt...though I don't like the inexperience at linebacker...maybe we should move Steve Warren back to safety.

Seriously (unlike you Tasty I do funny first) this really is just opportunity knocking. EVERY football team goes through stuff like this...do you think UT sits around crying that the sky is falling just because another one of their recruits got arrested? NO...they see who's getting paroled to take his place.

We have a core of guys who are viewing this as a chance to justify their spot on this team...I like the potential in guys like Charlie Brown, Marquis Sykes, Sam Owasu-Hemeng, Draylon Ross, Jordan Scroggins, Jesse DeSoto, Mack Cole, Johnathon Stewart, Ryan Davenport and even some of the true freshmen like Joe Hawthorne, Troy Franklin, Tevinn Cantly and Aaron Fortenberry. Every one of these guys are unproven...but so was Eddrick Gilmore last year...you need a chance to prove yourself.

Plus this year we've hired a defensive coordinator

I'd like to see Charlie Brown move back to D-end now that he's put on some more size. We should have a pretty good stable of DTs with Joe Miller, Isaac Thomas, Scroggins, and Franklin. I think we need all the looks we can at DE now. Wasn't Charlie a pretty good DE in HS?

Calm down guy's, there are several players that can play DE.

The NT green sky is not falling!

The staff must have known about Horton weeks ago- how do you

explain the sudden appearence of Mack Cole? Late in the season to

find a such a good DE prospect available! Wow!

Oher DE candidates-

Charlie Brown, 6-4, 255

Ryan Davenport, 6-2, 228

Kyle Russo, 6-3, 245

Kail Krider, 6-3, 245

Marquis Sykes, 6-3, 253

Daniel Calderon, 6-3, 240

Jordan Scoggins, 6-1, 275

Yes- time for DeLoach and the defensive coaches to earn there keep.

The staff sees these players everyday- they know which players will be

the guys to count on. Let the staff do their job.

Yes, for the 2009 class, defensive players are priority, and the DL players

are the toughest to recruit

See, this should show most of us just how "out of touch" our leaders seem to be when it comes to raising money for this stadium project.

This stadium news is BAD NEWS. I was told by RV in Austin that we would "be in a new stadium" by 2009....then it was changed to 2010....now we are saying ground breaking in 2010.....this is beginning to sound a lot like BS to me. Perhaps the blog really was "in the stadium" in 2010 instead of "ground breaking" in 2010. For grounding breaking in 2010...there seems to be a lot of "this can't wait" stuff going on at UNT...like...the Radison Hotel ...couldn't wait for a board meeting...had to get the OK from the board over a phone meeting....the drainage engineering being don right now...statements by Dodge about being in a stadium in 2010...just don't know...seems to be a lot of "hurry up" for a ground breaking 2 yrs off vs a ground breaking this year....sooooooo?

This stadium news is BAD NEWS. I was told by RV in Austin that we would "be in a new stadium" by 2009....then it was changed to 2010....now we are saying ground breaking in 2010.....this is beginning to sound a lot like BS to me. Perhaps the blog really was "in the stadium" in 2010 instead of "ground breaking" in 2010. For grounding breaking in 2010...there seems to be a lot of "this can't wait" stuff going on at UNT...like...the Radison Hotel ...couldn't wait for a board meeting...had to get the OK from the board over a phone meeting....the drainage engineering being don right now...statements by Dodge about being in a stadium in 2010...just don't know...seems to be a lot of "hurry up" for a ground breaking 2 yrs off vs a ground breaking this year....sooooooo?

I'm sure it means ground breaking in 2010. There's no way we would be in a stadium in 2010 when the new stadium ball is barely moving at all.

Wow. This is the kind of stuff that really makes me mad. Is it possible, that he could play next year? Or will he not be eligible?

If memory serves, completing an associate's degree within two calendar years (including both summers) is the drop-dead requirement for juco players who didn't make the NCAA Clearinghouse (SAT, ACT, GPA, etc.) out of high school. If you don't get it done, you're no longer eligible under any circumstances to play D-I. It's D-II or bust.

Of course, I thought we were D-I in 98 instead of 95, so memory doesn't always serve.