Manhattan Ks Road Trip

RETSO

Heading up Friday night and staying in OKC......I am having a hard time finding a room in Manhattan Sat night.

If you are going, where the heck are you staying????

Is there a designated UNT hotel?

Any UNT pregame tailgate locations???

GO MEAN GREEN

From their gameday policies section of the website:

University and state law prohibit the possession and consumption of alcohol.

Use of portable generators is limited to quiet units or those in soundproof boxes.

I am planning on going, but I have not attempted to make those plans yet. Guess I better get on the ball. And no Alcohol? Even we allow it in the parking lot! Guess we have to get hammered before going out there.

We all might be stayng in Junction City KS...18 miles west of manhattan....there are practically no rooms left in Manhattan....most of the MOTELS left you have to have a 2 night minimum ..

lets turn Junction City into Fry Street Kansas style...

Edited by RETSO

ShopMeanGreen and I are planning to make the trip to Manhattan. Probably try to draft off of one of our faster driving Alums (and we all know who that is) if he and his lovely wife go. Have not made that contact yet nor do we know where we are staying. Maybe the red cup trick that we used in Arkansas last year is a reasonable non-published manner to handle the no-alcohol nonsense law they have up there.

As a KSU fan, we're looking forward to you guys making a trip up here and hope it's a safe one. First someone mentioned that it's a "Dry" area when it comes to tailgating, but as you'll see when you get here, that's a laughable notion. Basically you can drink whatever you want, and you won't be stopped. They do have police patrolling the area looking for people holding beer cans/bottles, so make sure that you do like a previous poster said and put the beer in a different cup preferably a solo cup. Another thing they will look into your vehicle to see if you are bringing any alcohol in but they won't search. So just make sure that whatever Beer or alcohol you have isn't in plain site and you should be good. Like I said when you get here, you wouldn't even be able to tell that alcohol isn't allowed because basically everyone is walking around with one of those red solo cups in their hands. Tailgating at KSU is a very big deal, and we actually have one of the best set ups in the big 12 for tailgating because we have tons of parking around the stadium. If you look at google maps you'll see the 2 blacktop parking lots on either side of the stadium, and those are reserved parking only, so don't try to get in there during game day. On the east side of the large parking lot is an empty field which you can probably see and this is first come first serve so this would probably be your best bet. Also this is the lot where most students park and tailgate starting 5-6 hours before kickoff. This lot always fills up though so you will probably have to get there 3 hours before kickoff to get a spot in there. There are also many other places to park on the north side of Kimball ave. and near the rec complex, but you'll have to walk a little further from these places.

Make sure that you wear your green around, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of food and drink offers while walking around the parking lots. K-State fans in general are very hospitable and good to talk too, so just walk around and chat with people. Of course we have our bad apples just like any school so I'm sure you'll meet some jerks but they're generally few and far between (unless you're wearing KU stuff). Oh yeah don't wear anything KU if you don't want to get messed with :D .

Like some of you are finding out It's very difficult to find a hotel room in Manhattan on Game day weekends, because we have many fans that travel from Dallas and even as far as Denver to come back for every game so your best bets are in Junction City, Wamego, or Salina.

Finally another option besides tailgating before the game is to head down to the largest bar district per capita in the united states called Aggieville. It's home to 40 bars and restaurants in a 6 square block radius including one of the best sports bars in the nation called Rusty's Last Chance, which is actually one large establishment containing 4 separate bars. More information about aggieville can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggieville . Rusty's isn't my favorite bar by any means, but it's a fun place to visit for a first timer. There's also a free shuttle that leaves from aggieville for the stadium during game days so you could park down there and then take the shuttle to the game instead of parking at the game.

I hope this is helpful, and if you have any questions I'm sure us K-Staters will be more than happy to try to answer them for you.

Ayo

As a KSU fan, we're looking forward to you guys making a trip up here and hope it's a safe one. First someone mentioned that it's a "Dry" area when it comes to tailgating, but as you'll see when you get here, that's a laughable notion. Basically you can drink whatever you want, and you won't be stopped. They do have police patrolling the area looking for people holding beer cans/bottles, so make sure that you do like a previous poster said and put the beer in a different cup preferably a solo cup. Another thing they will look into your vehicle to see if you are bringing any alcohol in but they won't search. So just make sure that whatever Beer or alcohol you have isn't in plain site and you should be good. Like I said when you get here, you wouldn't even be able to tell that alcohol isn't allowed because basically everyone is walking around with one of those red solo cups in their hands. Tailgating at KSU is a very big deal, and we actually have one of the best set ups in the big 12 for tailgating because we have tons of parking around the stadium. If you look at google maps you'll see the 2 blacktop parking lots on either side of the stadium, and those are reserved parking only, so don't try to get in there during game day. On the east side of the large parking lot is an empty field which you can probably see and this is first come first serve so this would probably be your best bet. Also this is the lot where most students park and tailgate starting 5-6 hours before kickoff. This lot always fills up though so you will probably have to get there 3 hours before kickoff to get a spot in there. There are also many other places to park on the north side of Kimball ave. and near the rec complex, but you'll have to walk a little further from these places.

Make sure that you wear your green around, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of food and drink offers while walking around the parking lots. K-State fans in general are very hospitable and good to talk too, so just walk around and chat with people. Of course we have our bad apples just like any school so I'm sure you'll meet some jerks but they're generally few and far between (unless you're wearing KU stuff). Oh yeah don't wear anything KU if you don't want to get messed with :D .

Like some of you are finding out It's very difficult to find a hotel room in Manhattan on Game day weekends, because we have many fans that travel from Dallas and even as far as Denver to come back for every game so your best bets are in Junction City, Wamego, or Salina.

Finally another option besides tailgating before the game is to head down to the largest bar district per capita in the united states called Aggieville. It's home to 40 bars and restaurants in a 6 square block radius including one of the best sports bars in the nation called Rusty's Last Chance, which is actually one large establishment containing 4 separate bars. More information about aggieville can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggieville . Rusty's isn't my favorite bar by any means, but it's a fun place to visit for a first timer. There's also a free shuttle that leaves from aggieville for the stadium during game days so you could park down there and then take the shuttle to the game instead of parking at the game.

I hope this is helpful, and if you have any questions I'm sure us K-Staters will be more than happy to try to answer them for you.

Ayo

Ayo,

I appreciate the help, Aggieville it will be then for pre-game libations. Thanks for the inside info of the parking and hotels. Hope to share a cold one with you in a few weeks..

now that is funny coming from Denton. I will take Manhappiness over just about any other place in the US.

Psh. We get a TEN on the DenTEN scale. <3

And we're apparently one of Americas top little towns to live in.

And (FTW!!!1111!) we beat up your father if he's robbing our pizza place.

now that is funny coming from Denton. I will take Manhappiness over just about any other place in the US.

Keep it - it's yours. Don't worry, no one will fight you.

Psh. We get a TEN on the DenTEN scale. <3

And we're apparently one of Americas top little towns to live in.

And (FTW!!!1111!) we beat up your father if he's robbing our pizza place.

i got a kick out of your post. your father couldn't beat up my father. both my parents passed awhile back.

Aggieville is close enough to the stadium to drink before the game - if you just can't keep your alcoholism under control for a few hours. Sheesh.

I've been to one game at KSU and it was fine. Loud crowd. Good tailgating scene. A really involved student section. The fans were decent to their opponents' fans. It's a fun place to go see a game.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I doubt you have any experience with Manhattan. oh well, just means you won't be polluting our environment with your chit.

Roomed with a K-State transfer in fact. I also visit Kansas at least once a month for work.

Nice post though - the chit was a clever touch. The sensors will never catch you, so keep up the good work.

EDIT: no idea how the word true got in there and I hope you know this is all in good fun.

Edited by Quoner

Purpleblood man calm down. Realize that they're just joking and trying to get a response from you, it's all in good fun.

Ayo

Roomed with a K-State transfer in fact. I also visit Kansas at least once a month for work.

Nice post though - the chit was a clever touch. The sensors will never catch you, so keep up the good work.

EDIT: no idea how the word true got in there and I hope you know this is all in good fun.

Make sure that you wear your green around, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of food and drink offers while walking around the parking lots. K-State fans in general are very hospitable and good to talk too, so just walk around and chat with people.

They ought to be hospitable considering Coach Snyder came to Manhatten from Fry's staff at North Texas...well Snyder went to Iowa first, but you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...