Want To Get Sick?

DeepGreen

Uh, guys, can someone tell me why a non-football school can do this in only a couple of months? Old NT just doesn't seem to be as serious as some universities. Sigh!

From a special meeting of the TSUS Board of Regents:

2008-78

LU: Naming of Press Box

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Pollard, with all regents voting aye, it was ordered that:

a) The President of Lamar University be authorized to accept and publicly announce a gift of $1,000,000 from The Dan F. and Sandra A. Smith Foundation of Houston, Texas.

B) In appreciation of this most generous gift to the University and the Lamar football program, its students, and the people of Texas – and particularly Southeast Texas – the press box shall be named the Dan F. and Sandra A. Smith Press Box.

2008-79

LU: Naming of Montagne Center Red Room

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Amato, with all regents voting aye, it was ordered that:

a)

The President of Lamar University be authorized to accept and publicly announce a gift of $1,000,000 from the Umphrey Family Limited Partnership on behalf of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Umphrey of Beaumont, Texas.

B)

In appreciation of this most generous gift to the University and the Lamar football program, its students, and the people of Texas – and particularly Southeast Texas – the Red Room in the Montagne Center will be named the Walter and Sheila Umphrey Red Room.

2008-80

LU: Naming of Stadium Playing Field

Upon motion of Regent Truncale, seconded by Regent Pollard, with all regents voting aye, it was ordered that:

a)

The President of Lamar University be authorized to accept and publicly announce a gift of $700,000 from an anonymous donor.

B)

In appreciation of this most generous gift to the University and the Lamar football program, its students, and the people of Texas – and particularly Southeast Texas – the stadium playing field will be named the W. S. “Bud” Leonard Field.

President Simmons noted this item is a wonderful gift for a wonderful man. Regent Truncale also stated that it is a wonderful gift for a wonderful man and his wife.

That's $2.7 million so far. Hopefully there's more money coming for the stadium and athletic complex. How will they spend $1 million on the Montange Center Red Room? Will they expand it so it has more windows and a better view of the field, or will a lot of that money be used elsewhere in renovations?

I believe around July 24th is when they'll finalize the plans for the stadium so action should start picking up soon at Cardinal Stadium. Good times are coming.

Link: http://www.tsus.edu/regents/meeting-minutes.html

Edited by DeepGreen

Well, I don't know if anything can quite top the $18 million in baseball and track facilities that Bexar County's Amateur Athletics Department gave UTSA once the students had committed to raising the athletics fee to the state maximum.

The University of North Texas means so much more to the City of Denton and Denton County, but they not only don't contribute anything in return, they rely on the university and it's students as a source of revenue.

Anyway, North Texas has had a few million dollar gifts to athletics within the last several years, but that number would increase significantly if the university showed a real commitment to improving athletics. Everyone loves a winner but everyone also hates throwing money away into a money pit. North Texas needs to create an athletic program that people really want to associate with themselves.

Well, I don't know if anything can quite top the $18 million in baseball and track facilities that Bexar County's Amateur Athletics Department gave UTSA once the students had committed to raising the athletics fee to the state maximum.

The University of North Texas means so much more to the City of Denton and Denton County, but they not only don't contribute anything in return, they rely on the university and it's students as a source of revenue.

Anyway, North Texas has had a few million dollar gifts to athletics within the last several years, but that number would increase significantly if the university showed a real commitment to improving athletics. Everyone loves a winner but everyone also hates throwing money away into a money pit. North Texas needs to create an athletic program that people really want to associate with themselves.

This is so sad but true. Lip service just won't cut it anymore. We need action this fall or we will be I-AA in 2009 and not competing even there. We can not afford a 10 to 12 year Capital Campaign that has been mired in the " quiet phase" for going on five years. We also don't have the time for a four year FB rebuilding program. We need at least five wins in 2008 to show improvement over a dismal 2007 season. I want to be proud of supporting this university, but no one can be until the admins show the fortitude to lead. Sure we have music, education,etc., but when have 10 to 20K ever showed up for a concert, play, or recital. NT sports have more visability in a year than all the other depts. have in a decade. If we ever want to be reacognized as a graduate research university in Texas, we need a comparable athletic budget with our competition. The Prez herself said she got more e-mails on the hiring of TD than she ever had on any other subject and just didn't realize the importance of FB to Texans. Hello--- you are not in Carolina anymore !!!!

A very good post....

The City of Denton and etc. do not appreciate or give anything back to support UNT Athletics. The city of Denton does not deserve something so great as UNT in their backyard. Without UNT, Denton would just be a town not doing any better than Decauter or Gainesville.

A very good post....

The City of Denton and etc. do not appreciate or give anything back to support UNT Athletics. The city of Denton does not deserve something so great as UNT in their backyard. Without UNT, Denton would just be a town not doing any better than Decauter or Gainesville.

I just wish the Dentonites appreciated what they have. When I look at the $$ they threw at C H Collins stadium on Loop 288 without a dime in support of UNT it makes me ill.

Yes, a thread where all the RV haters and gloom and doom people can get together and loudly proclaim:

skyfalling.jpg

so it would be safe to assume your happy with the progress or lack of progress with the football stadium while many of the smaller schools who are behind us for now are publicly showing their progress? Just making sure I understand. You do realize that Lamar, UTSA, and USA currently do not even have a football team playing yet.

Most are tired of the road rash from other schools puttering past us while we just stand around with our thumb up our butt.

Not surprised by reading this. Anybody can do this....but its a matter of wanting to do it and not wanting to do it. Seems that NT just doesn't give a rats ass. I am sure RV had good intentions but at this point he has no validity in anything he says...all he does is doop the NT fans that truly care about this program. Its just a little more confirmation of my feeling that UNT is a cant do university.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Soo... you're saying RV dooped us!! OUTRAGEOUS!!! WE'VE BEEN DOOOOPED!!!

edit. does anyone know what doop means?

I think that it's a combination of dupe and poop. We've been tricked into being crapped on.

Yes, a thread where all the RV haters and gloom and doom people can get together and loudly proclaim:

skyfalling.jpg

alfred_e_neuman_171.jpg

RV haters? I am advocating significantly increasing his budget and making his chances of success a whole lot better. If that's hating, then I certainly wish more people would hate on me.

If anybody is hating it's those people that oppose an athletics fee. Their short sighted vision for a few extra dollars saved means that their university will never receive the attention that it deserves. North Texas is thought of as a small insignificant school because of those self centered haters. Major sporting events are not held at North Texas, major concerts are not held at North Texas, major speaking events are not held at North Texas. Things that make university life unique don't happen for North Texas because of these haters.

North Texas is one of the fifteen largest schools in the nation. In this election year has either Obama or McCain spoken on campus? I can almost guarantee that they've visited most of the other major schools. In it's own state where where North Texas is the third largest college, when is the last time that a Texas Governor has had a speaking engagement? A school of 34,000 with another 8000 student college in the same town, when is the last time that North Texas has hosted major concerts.

These people mask their hate as frugality and indifference, but it is just hate. Being against anything positive at the university is just their personal hate based retaliation against society. It has very little to do with the money.

alfred_e_neuman_171.jpg

RV haters? I am advocating significantly increasing his budget and making his chances of success a whole lot better. If that's hating, then I certainly wish more people would hate on me.

If anybody is hating it's those people that oppose an athletics fee. Their short sighted vision for a few extra dollars saved means that their university will never receive the attention that it deserves. North Texas is thought of as a small insignificant school because of those self centered haters. Major sporting events are not held at North Texas, major concerts are not held at North Texas, major speaking events are not held at North Texas. Things that make university life unique don't happen for North Texas because of these haters.

North Texas is one of the fifteen largest schools in the nation. In this election year has either Obama or McCain spoken on campus? I can almost guarantee that they've visited most of the other major schools. In it's own state where where North Texas is the third largest college, when is the last time that a Texas Governor has had a speaking engagement? A school of 34,000 with another 8000 student college in the same town, when is the last time that North Texas has hosted major concerts.

These people mask their hate as frugality and indifference, but it is just hate. Being against anything positive at the university is just their personal hate based retaliation against society. It has very little to do with the money.

I shudder to think of all the Alumni who have simply given up on North Texas. It's happening as we speak. The haters and those who are indifferent to a "no nothing" university.

I shudder to think of all the Alumni who have simply given up on North Texas. It's happening as we speak. The haters and those who are indifferent to a "no nothing" university.

Many more of these threads & I may be convinced to join those who just elect to move on. <_<

Though I don't like either one, "Haters" or those that are "Indifferent," I much prefer the haters. At least they care enough to hate. Those that have become indifferent no longer care and probably never will.

The longer positive changes fail to occur, the more apathetic people will become. "Strike while the fire is hot" has great meaning in athletics and donations to athletics. I hope we didn't miss our window of opportunity the past few years to get the forward movement we need going. Our fire needs stoked ASAP! <_<