One Hell Of A Stop Today....

First on, Church Fire, Purington and Ben Avenue.

I'm driving today, so I had the best seat in the house as my company, Engine 14(Lt and three FF's), Truck 14(Eng and three FF's) and Engine 5(Lt and three FF's) at around 1:00 p.m. today made a very agressive attack in the ceiling of a large, two story church fire. Truck 14, at the same time cut a perfect ventilation hole directly over the seat of the fire...TEXTBOOK!!!!With today's incredible high winds plus the heat, we saw heavy smoke pouring out of both ends of this building, which is "L" shaped, I'd say each end is probably 30 yards long, and as I said, two story the entire length. Everyone who pulled up after us had the same thought, that the chief would go defensive, pull everyone out and watch it like ?????? as it became a slab. But that didn't happen. Saved the entire structure. 30 minutes later after the news crews got there it looked as if nothing hardly happened at all other than a little charring in one place. Up inside the attic, the entire under surface, which at one time had an all wood shingle sytem, was charred. I've been doing this for 13 years now and I'm in awe and very proud of those with me today on the War Wagon.

Rick