New Proposed Unt Football Stadium

It's a pointless argument. The AD has already asked for a 30,000 (roughly) seat stadium expandable to 45k. We spent a couple hundred grand to get the engineer to draw the plans, which as I understand it are already done.

You had better believe the AD has several scales and sets of drawings to play with and several different seating capacities. Nothing is ever really set in stone until it is built.

Edited by KingDL1

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had better believe the AD has several scales and sets of drawings to play with and several different seating capacities. Nothing is ever really set in stone until it is built.

Thank You!

It does cost much more to add 5,000 seats to the initial cost of a 30,000 seat stadium, they have the land to make room for it.

10,000 more seats is huge for this program. TCU has 45,000 seats and 5,000 students.....

An Amon Carter type stadium here at UNT should be our goal, and why not.. Don't we expect big things at this program or is it only the fans who expect this...

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Just to show what a nice stadium looks like when it's not close to full, here's a picture from last year's ACC championship game from Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. The stadium capacity is 75,000 but the reported attendance was 53,212. That's about the equivalent to having 32,000 in a 45,000 seat stadium (71% occupancy).

accchampionshipgamecrowdview2007emp.jpg

Then wouldn't a 30k seat stadium be an upgrade?

That is not the point by no means, gee lets just see if we can move as slowly forward as possible. With this kind of wait and see attitude we have no business in D1A.

We need to at least match the total enrollment UNT knows it will be at in the near future and we will save tons of money in the long run.

Just to show what a nice stadium looks like when it's not close to full, here's a picture from last year's ACC championship game from Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. The stadium capacity is 75,000 but the reported attendance was 53,212. That's about the equivalent to having 32,000 in a 45,000 seat stadium (71% occupancy).

That stadium is nowhere near 71% full.

Maybe they all went to the bathroom between quarters.

Seriously, if the ACC Championship game draws 53,000, why the hell would we need a 45,000 seat stadium right now?

30,000 (the number I heard was actually 33,000) is just fine, and it isn't "small time" thinking. It is sensible because it is a cost-effective way to boost the program and we wouldn't embarass ourselves on opening day with a half full stadium.

A stadium of 33,000 would make our stadium bigger than Houston, SMU, Boise State, and Wake Forest... if the stadium is expanded to 45,000 in 10 years, that would make us bigger than Louisville, East Carolina, and Boston College.

Edited by UNTflyer

You have 2 camps here in this thread:

People who think we need a larger stadium then what we currently have despite we haven't averaged enough to fill it to at least 50%.

People who think we need a stadium of a comparable size to what we currently have because we could fill it past 50% and be closer to 66 to 75% full for most of our games.

My thoughts exactly, but why would anyone leave a 16-16 championship game at the start of the fourth quarter? ACC Championship Game

The oranges were everywhere, outnumbered only by the smiles. On the field, the final seconds of No. 6 Virginia Tech's 30-16 victory over No. 12 Boston College in the ACC championship ticked away, the Hokies' bid in the Orange Bowl secure. Before 53,212 fans and more than 20,000 empty seats at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium, Virginia Tech exacted revenge for its heart-wrenching loss to the Eagles in October and claimed dominance in a league it has won twice since joining four years ago.

Maybe the were using SMU's attendance formula?

I love how small time UNT is at times it just amazes me, people on here bitch and bitch and bitch some more how they want a big time college program and then they think a 30k stadium is the best thing since sliced bread. 30k stadium is so unacceptable it makes me want to cry, wake up and smell the low expectations.

God what a disgrace.

If our enrollment is going to be 45,000 that is where we should start, it is simple as hell. Jesus.

Maybe we should get some more of the old nesters back in the admin, and just drop football. Screw around unbelievable, might as well stroke yourselves.

Rant over. :angry:

Edited by Green Gas

You have 2 camps here in this thread:

People who think we need a larger stadium then what we currently have despite we haven't averaged enough to fill it to at least 50%.

People who think we need a stadium of a comparable size to what we currently have because we could fill it past 50% and be closer to 66 to 75% full for most of our games.

Those of us who want larger that 30,000 are wanting a stadium that can attract large name opponents. I doubt many Big XII teams would considerm coming to a 30,000 stadium, maybe Baylor but not even them if they ever start winning and can attract more fans.

A larger stadium will allow us to have bigger name teams for home games. ...period. and the attendence should improve greatly. Even larger crowds to those games should cause other games to improve attendence as well since there would more interest in the program. Am I wrong.....maybe... but I doubt it.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Maybe they all went to the bathroom between quarters.

Seriously, if the ACC Championship game draws 53,000, why the hell would we need a 45,000 seat stadium right now?

30,000 (the number I heard was actually 33,000) is just fine, and it isn't "small time" thinking. It is sensible because it is a cost-effective way to boost the program and we wouldn't embarass ourselves on opening day with a half full stadium.

A stadium of 33,000 would make our stadium bigger than Houston, SMU, Boise State, and Wake Forest... if the stadium is expanded to 45,000 in 10 years, that would make us bigger than Louisville, East Carolina, and Boston College.

30,000 is not cost effective and you are comparing apples to oranges.

Just so you know:

Houston's stadium was built in 1946 with a current capacity 32,000, and they are about to expand it to 50,000. Total enrollment 35,000

Boise's Stadium was built in 1970 with a current capacity 32,000, and they also have plans to expand to 50,000 with a total enrollment of 18,000

SMU's Stadium was built in 2000 with a current capacity 32,000 not counting the hill and was planned to expand to 45,000 with only a 11,000 total enrollment.

Wake Forest's Stadium was built in 1968 with a current capacity of 31,500 Not counting they new construction (In January 2007, construction began on Deacon Tower, a massive new seven-story pressbox that will house luxury suites, club seats, boxes for the University President, home and visiting athletic directors and print and electronic media. Construction is scheduled to be finished in time for the 2008 season. The new Deacon Tower will be located on the west side of the stadium.) And drum roll please a total enrollment of 6788!

And as for the future another swing and a miss:

Louisville’s stadium was built in 1998 with a current capacity of 42,000, not counting (In November 2006 the Louisville Athletic Association Board of Directors approved a $72 million expansion that will increase the capacity of Cardinal Stadium to 63,600. This expansion is to be complete by the 2010 season, will include 2,000 luxury seats and 45 luxury suites on the east side.) Plus it was built with plans to be expandable to 80,000. Total enrollment 21,000

East Carolina's stadium was built in 1963 with a current capacity of 43,000, with plans to expand to 60,000. Total enrollment 22,767

Boston College's stadium was built in 1957 with a current capacity of 44,500 and who know where they will be in 10 years (no current plans). Total enrollment 14,829

I love how small time UNT is at times it just amazes me, people on here bitch and bitch and bitch some more how they want a big time college program and then they think a 30k stadium is the best thing since sliced bread. 30k stadium is so unacceptable it makes me want to cry, wake up and smell the low expectations.

God what a disgrace.

If our enrollment is going to be 45,000 that is where we should start, it is simple as hell. Jesus.

Maybe we should get some more of the old nesters back in the admin, and just drop football. Screw around unbelievable, might as well stroke yourselves.

Rant over. :angry:

You are joining a camp of only about 10 of us. Welcome.

I just love the small time thinking that now so many seem to have. Why don't we just build the new stadium to seat 20 - 25k people since about 20 is all we get now, we would still have room to expand as so many say we will in the future and we would have packed houses for when new recruits came in to see games. Gosh if we had only thought about doing this years ago when we built the Super Pit, we could have just made the seating capacity the same as it was in the Men's Gym where we played then, and wouldn't have so many empty seats for home bball games.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Read the filler. Average Attendance : Average capacity (2008 season. NCAA link). Make your own conclusions (or wait, don't: I still don't understand why you hinge on student enrollment so much. Isn't what matters actual attendance...no matter who the faces are?):

30,000 is not cost effective and you are comparing apples to oranges.

Just so you know:

Houston's stadium was built in 1946 with a current capacity 32,000, and they are about to expand it to 50,000. Total enrollment 35,000

20955 : 65.48

Boise's Stadium was built in 1970 with a current capacity 32,000, and they also have plans to expand to 50,000 with a total enrollment of 18,000

30338 : 101.13

SMU's Stadium was built in 2000 with a current capacity 32,000 not counting the hill and was planned to expand to 45,000 with only a 11,000 total enrollment.

17171 : 53.66

Wake Forest's Stadium was built in 1968 with a current capacity of 31,500 Not counting they new construction (In January 2007, construction began on Deacon Tower, a massive new seven-story pressbox that will house luxury suites, club seats, boxes for the University President, home and visiting athletic directors and print and electronic media. Construction is scheduled to be finished in time for the 2008 season. The new Deacon Tower will be located on the west side of the stadium.) And drum roll please a total enrollment of 6788!

53126 : 53126

And as for the future another swing and a miss:

Louisville's stadium was built in 1998 with a current capacity of 42,000, not counting (In November 2006 the Louisville Athletic Association Board of Directors approved a $72 million expansion that will increase the capacity of Cardinal Stadium to 63,600. This expansion is to be complete by the 2010 season, will include 2,000 luxury seats and 45 luxury suites on the east side.) Plus it was built with plans to be expandable to 80,000. Total enrollment 21,000

39881 : 94.96

East Carolina's stadium was built in 1963 with a current capacity of 43,000, with plans to expand to 60,000. Total enrollment 22,767

41537 : 96.60

Boston College's stadium was built in 1957 with a current capacity of 44,500 and who know where they will be in 10 years (no current plans). Total enrollment 14,829

41990 : 94.36

I am not sure how you can compare us to these schools. With the exception of Houston, I see an approximate 2:1 ratio of attendance to student enrollment. Where were these programs when the stadiums were built? Did they have the incredible community support that is currently evident? Did they have decades of tradition behind them that some of them have (legit or not, SMU! :thumbsup: )?

Wasn't Louisville jsut a few years removed from having Schnelly and beating Alabama/Michigan State?

Boston College was in the midst of a nearly decade run of winning seasons.

Okay, okay, Deamon Deacons were horrid in the thirties, and East Carolina was sucking it up prior to 1963.

I have no problem with starting at 30K as long as it can expand to 45 - 50K.

Pure speculation:

I think it would take 5 years of winning seasons to us to even approach a 25K average attendance. At that point, MAYBE donors would start accelerating the stadium payoff and we can start thinking about expanding.

Read the filler. Average Attendance : Average capacity (2008 season. NCAA link). Make your own conclusions (or wait, don't: I still don't understand why you hinge on student enrollment so much. Isn't what matters actual attendance...no matter who the faces are?):

I am not sure how you can compare us to these schools. With the exception of Houston, I see an approximate 2:1 ratio of attendance to student enrollment. Where were these programs when the stadiums were built? Did they have the incredible community support that is currently evident? Did they have decades of tradition behind them that some of them have (legit or not, SMU! :thumbsup: )?

Wasn't Louisville jsut a few years removed from having Schnelly and beating Alabama/Michigan State?

Boston College was in the midst of a nearly decade run of winning seasons.

Okay, okay, Deamon Deacons were horrid in the thirties, and East Carolina was sucking it up prior to 1963.

I have no problem with starting at 30K as long as it can expand to 45 - 50K.

Pure speculation:

I think it would take 5 years of winning seasons to us to even approach a 25K average attendance. At that point, MAYBE donors would start accelerating the stadium payoff and we can start thinking about expanding.

To start with flyer used those schools for comparison not me.

Second why, why, why, such low expectations?

If we are not going to elevate our football program with real commitment, why even bother with a new stadium. I can guarantee you if we start winning and approach the top 25, which I think is our goal, the masses will come. And its tons cheaper to build as much as possible now then later.

We have such great possibility and we seem to want to limit our selfs, "OH My God We May Embarrass ourselves"? by building a stadium that can contain the total enrollment, to the real world it would feel embarrassed for us if a school as big as us who thinks so little of our football program to design the new stadium to hold 2/3 of our student body.

Total enrollment, if you notice on all the D1a schools, is well exceeded in their actual attendance at the games with the exception of Houston. Plus the larger your total enrollment the more young alumni you produce.

Edited by KingDL1

Maybe you all are misunderstanding the 30K seats is ok camp. Hell, I'd love to have a 45K seat stadium as much as anyone else.

Bring it on man!!!

But seriously though, back to reality. We have raised 6 million dollars towards a stadium in the... what? - 6 years RV has been here? I want to see a stadium in the next 5 years. If you push a 45K seat stadium then forget it. It won't happen for 15 years.

So I think I'm hearing some people say they won't support NT athletics if we don't build a 45K seat stadium. Unbelievable. At this point I'm glad RV is pushing the 30K seat option because that is our best chance for a new stadium period.

Maybe you all are misunderstanding the 30K seats is ok camp. Hell, I'd love to have a 45K seat stadium as much as anyone else.

Bring it on man!!!

But seriously though, back to reality. We have raised 6 million dollars towards a stadium in the... what? - 6 years RV has been here? I want to see a stadium in the next 5 years. If you push a 45K seat stadium then forget it. It won't happen for 15 years.

So I think I'm hearing some people say they won't support NT athletics if we don't build a 45K seat stadium. Unbelievable. At this point I'm glad RV is pushing the 30K seat option because that is our best chance for a new stadium period.

So how much money do we need to raise, before we can start the 30k seat stadium? At the currect rate of fundraising, we are averaging 1.2 million per year.

I don't think anyone is saying that if we only build a 30k seat stadium to start out with, that they are going to STOP supporting NT athletics. Maybe I should read back through these threads, because I sure don't remember hearing that.

So how much money do we need to raise, before we can start the 30k seat stadium? At the currect rate of fundraising, we are averaging 1.2 million per year.

I don't think anyone is saying that if we only build a 30k seat stadium to start out with, that they are going to STOP supporting NT athletics. Maybe I should read back through these threads, because I sure don't remember hearing that.

No, but they were saying "45k or I-AA!" It's going to be the new bumper sticker at tailgating events. <_<

Bring it on man!!!

I don't think RV has been fund raising the last 7 years for the stadium? If so he needs to be fired. I believe he has had other things to fund before the Stadium.

On a project like this, 10% is the typical amount needed to move forward so we are talking about maybe a 2 or 3 million dollar difference. I do not believe for an instant we can't do a 45,000 seat stadium.

I do think if we really feel that 30,000 is more then enough for the future with a cap at 50,000, we should pack it in.

Yes I will still be there either way, I am addicted to this program. As long as we are D1A at least.