Stadium/ Student Fee Tidbit

LAZER

Again whats defeating is Ness saying the athletics department has not even approached them. WHY??? Thats what I have been saying over and over again that the planning at UNT is by far worse than my high school! If you think it out, campaign for it and present it in a manner that is good and professional we can EASILY get this stadium and be able to afford higher coaches salaries. Just another beating of UNT in my opinion.

"It would be a campaign with the student government and the athletic department," Ness said. "There are two chances to put one together, one in the fall and one in the spring."

Reported here first by UNTFlyer. I've told several GMG.com posters what Josh told me, and that the timeline would be "sometime in the fall". Glad to see that the first feelers are getting out there. Set the students up for a vote this fall....

Reported here first by UNTFlyer. I've told several GMG.com posters what Josh told me, and that the timeline would be "sometime in the fall". Glad to see that the first feelers are getting out there. Set the students up for a vote this fall....

I thought you stated it would be imposed and not voted on?

I thought you stated it would be imposed and not voted on?

I did, but the time line seems to be spot on. A stadium fee would not have to be voted on by the students, but an athletic fee would.

My fear is that they will ask the students to vote on a stadium fee in order to win support, and it backfires. But I was told it would be either a BOR decision or a vote by the SGA.

Edited by UNTflyer

I did, but the time line seems to be spot on. A stadium fee would not have to be voted on by the students, but an athletic fee would.

My fear is that they will ask the students to vote on a stadium fee in order to win support, and it backfires.

If RV wants to shoot himself in the foot and look like a fool (for a second time - remember the first vote campaign/attempt?) then he should absolutely put this up for a vote by the students.

Guest 97and03

Decision should be made by the BOR.

The decision is ultimately made by the BOR, whether the students vote or not. The BOR can actually not raise fees even if the students say yes. The results of the student vote are given to the BOR, who then decide whether or not to start/raise a fee. Most fees, however, are governed by legislation that requires a student vote first.

If RV wants to shoot himself in the foot and look like a fool (for a second time - remember the first vote campaign/attempt?) then he should absolutely put this up for a vote by the students.

Like that 7 year old cousin who comes over to play NCAA Football on the PS2, and keeps trying the same sweep left play on you over and over again, thinking "If I do it over and over again, odds are it eventually works!"

Guest GrayEagleOne

Regardless of what the student body does, it is ultimately the decision of the Board of Regents to set tuition and fees. I'm sure that it would be nice to have the endorsement and support of the student body but the decision needs to be made ASAP, with or without student approval.