The Fall Of College Football's 1990 Dynasties

Off the muts board. Posted by SpaceRaider

West Virginia, South Florida and Boise State have become household names. South Florida didn’t even exist until 1997. This is the equivalent of you getting kicked out of the club only to see your moron cousin in the VIP room making it rain. Permanent cellar-dwellers like Kansas and Wake Forest are defeating Nebraska and Florida State. Hell, Boise State, Utah and West Virginia have more combined BCS wins (four) than Florida State, Michigan, Nebraska and Notre Dame put together (three).

To fans of the dominant teams from the 90s ,this is the equivalent of Poland invading Germany and then beating their ass during Oktoberfest. Or the French beating anyone at anything. It is simply not supposed to happen.

FULL ARTICLE

http://thebiglead.com/?p=5929

The main difference between Boise St and us, is that they just made a decision to make it happen and we didn't. That to me, is why getting Key leadership in here is much more important right now for our future.

100% correct. It feels as if NT is becoming a "cant do" university when it comes to athletics and leadership.

Edited by Green Mean

Those Earl Campbell links are awesome.

I hear they make your knees weaken and blow out way too soon.

No wait, that was playing football like Earl Campbell. I always suck at remembering what I read.

The main difference between Boise St and us, is that they just made a decision to make it happen and we didn't. That to me, is why getting Key leadership in here is much more important right now for our future.

The difference between us and Boise State is that they've only had two or three losing seasons since 1968, so they were winners no matter which division they were in. Also, they played in a conference that, until three years ago, allowed them to sign as many nonqualifiers as they wanted (SEE ALSO Fresno State).

We're nothing like Boise State. Not now. Not when we were both I-AA. To say so is an insult to them. They were building it 40 years ago - when they were still in the "Small College Division/I-AA" and we were I-A.

Leadership is surely the key thing. They've had that - plus a winning football product - for four decades. We've had less than a half a dozen winning season over two+ decades and virtually no leadership.

The bottom line, though, is the different between us and Boise State is vast.

In a private e-mail a few months back, another poster and I discussed the program's state. Then, I told him I believed that if this thing turned around, it would be the greatest college football turn around story ever...bigger than Kansas State.

The thing is, we have no winning tradition. We jumped down to I-AA. We have no big money donors. And our leadership in and out of the athletic department has been almost nil.

In other words, if this thing does ever become like Kansas State, it would be like catching lightning in a bottle three times! Kansas State had some winning in the 60s. They were already in a power conference, The Big 8, even before the super conference mergers of the 1990s; and before, the BCS era. And, they had a big donor throw millions of dollars at them (a lottery winner).

There's really no other program to compare what we've been through and endured...and continue to go through and endure.

The difference between us and Boise State is that they've only had two or three losing seasons since 1968, so they were winners no matter which division they were in. Also, they played in a conference that, until three years ago, allowed them to sign as many nonqualifiers as they wanted (SEE ALSO Fresno State).

We're nothing like Boise State. Not now. Not when we were both I-AA. To say so is an insult to them. They were building it 40 years ago - when they were still in the "Small College Division/I-AA" and we were I-A.

Leadership is surely the key thing. They've had that - plus a winning football product - for four decades. We've had less than a half a dozen winning season over two+ decades and virtually no leadership.

The bottom line, though, is the different between us and Boise State is vast.

In a private e-mail a few months back, another poster and I discussed the program's state. Then, I told him I believed that if this thing turned around, it would be the greatest college football turn around story ever...bigger than Kansas State.

The thing is, we have no winning tradition. We jumped down to I-AA. We have no big money donors. And our leadership in and out of the athletic department has been almost nil.

In other words, if this thing does ever become like Kansas State, it would be like catching lightning in a bottle three times! Kansas State had some winning in the 60s. They were already in a power conference, The Big 8, even before the super conference mergers of the 1990s; and before, the BCS era. And, they had a big donor throw millions of dollars at them (a lottery winner).

There's really no other program to compare what we've been through and endured...and continue to go through and endure.

Are you saying this is the worst situation in America? Didn't someone say that once?

(I see the gaping mouth of the abyss! Let's gun it and take this puppy over the edge.)

Serious question. With no major donors clammoring for change, how do we, who are not fortunate enough to be lottery winners, get the university to change it's leadership? It seems RV is untouchable because of all he's done to get title IX compliant. <_<

Edited by filmerj

We were an interception away from taking our one playoff game away from Boise St in Boise in '94. And we have beaten them since then. We also had some very good seasons in the past while at the major college football level that we didn't capitalize on thanks to our small minded administration of the times. Since the late 80's though the City of Boise decided to take it upon themselves and promote their city through the success of their local college football program and have suceeded at it. In the same time frame North Texas has struggled to do it the hard way..by doing it by itself and harboring a history of losing. It's hard to say that it's any one reason why the difference of the two exists?: Is it Leadership, locale, interest, pride??? I don't know but for some reason they have advanced and we haven't.

However, North Texas has an advantage over many other programs and that is a large number of students. A decent size student fee utilized correctly could right a lot of wrongs and help us tremendously but the leadership simply won't do it and that leaves us back to square one. And even if that fee was obtained I'm not fully convinced the "utilized correctly" part would follow because of how our own loyal fans and alumni are often times treated after donating and getting involved. One poster here has YET to recieve his donation gift from last football season even though the appropriate officials have been contacted about it...twice! By dropping that teeny weeny bucket it's cost this program $3500 for this upcoming season. That's just one of several I know personally that something similar to this has happened to. How many of you who are out there who I don't know? Add that all up and who knows what amount of donor money it would come to.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

--- One other main difference.... what other sport teams are in that area, no big names and no professional sports at all.... not just a lot of competion for athletic interest even for those who are not grads at Boise. ... Nebraska is inpretty much the same situation (what local competion for interest) except they are a member of a major conference and that really gets their fan interest up there..

---Locally, North Texas interest is pretty limited to alums and students and not the public in general. SMU has the same problem except a smaller university... and both of us compete with the Cowboys for media interest and someone to root for.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I hear they make your knees weaken and blow out way too soon.

No wait, that was playing football like Earl Campbell. I always suck at remembering what I read.

Wow... even more wheels off than usual. Must be a Friday Quoner special: a flurry of whimsy and oblique "elbow-to-ribs-wink-wink-nudge-nudge" insinuation, tossed with fresh double entendre and lightly sprinkled with avant-garde connotation and served with a side of over-the-top abrasion.

--- One other main difference.... what other sport teams are in that area, no big names and no professional sports at all.... not just a lot of competion for athletic interest even for those who are not grads at Boise. ... Nebraska is inpretty much the same situation (what local competion for interest) except they are a member of a major conference and that really gets their fan interest up there..

---Locally, North Texas interest is pretty limited to alums and students and not the public in general. SMU has the same problem except a smaller university... and both of us compete with the Cowboys for media interest and someone to root for.

Didn't RV try to go in on a football stadium with the local high school and that fell through? So the high schools play out there and their parents money go out there. So locally a lot of that money is spent on Friday Night instead of Saturday afternoon.