Is The Sun Belt Losing A Member ?

Not a football playing member. If true, looks like all three non-football members may possibly be in the process of changing conference addresses in the not to distant future.

Off the Muts board. Post by SpaceRaider

UALR leaving the Sun Belt?

last May, the Sun Belt Conference presidents unanimously approved "the Sun Belt Conference Chief Executive Officer Initiatives," a set of comprehensive performance and membership standards that set forth requirements and expectations for various sports and schools. One particular standard was a membership standard requiring member institutions "to sponsor a minimum of fifteen (15) sports in which the conference offers a championship. There shall be a five-year (2012-2013) grace period for UNO and Denver to reach this standard."

Late this past week, UALR, one of three SBC schools not sponsoring FB at any level, dropped men's tennis, leaving their athletic program with only 14 sports, according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, which puts UALR in direct violation of the membership standard referenced above. Will the Sun Belt put UALR on notice?

Edited by MeanGreen61

Not a football playing member. If true, looks like all three non-football members may possibly be in the process of changing conference addresses in the not to distant future.

Off the Muts board. Post by SpaceRaider

UALR leaving the Sun Belt?

last May, the Sun Belt Conference presidents unanimously approved "the Sun Belt Conference Chief Executive Officer Initiatives," a set of comprehensive performance and membership standards that set forth requirements and expectations for various sports and schools. One particular standard was a membership standard requiring member institutions "to sponsor a minimum of fifteen (15) sports in which the conference offers a championship. There shall be a five-year (2012-2013) grace period for UNO and Denver to reach this standard."

Late this past week, UALR, one of three SBC schools not sponsoring FB at any level, dropped men's tennis, leaving their athletic program with only 14 sports, according to the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, which puts UALR in direct violation of the membership standard referenced above. Will the Sun Belt put UALR on notice?

UALR Sports after men's tennis is dropped

1. Baseball

2. Men's basketball

3. Men's Cross Country

4. Men's golf

5. Men's indoor track

6. Men's outdoor track

7. Women's basketball

8. Women's Cross Country

9. Women's golf

10. Women's soccer

11. Women's tennis

12. Women's indoor track

13. Women's outdoor track

14. Women's volleyball

15. Women's swimming & diving

Why would the Sun Belt put UALR notice for having 15 sports? Maybe UALR should put the Demcrap-Gazette on notice.

I think we need to remember that the basketball playing schools were there before we were. This conference was one that played basketball then added football - not the other way around. Would it be nice if all our schools played football? Sure it would, but if the non-football playing schools want to stay, it is fine with me. We have almost always been in a conference where not all the schools played football. The old Missouri Valley Conference did not have all football playing schools. The Big West was the same way. A few years after we joined The Southland Conference it was mandated that all schools play football but that quickly changed. The Sun Belt is the same way. To me, it is not a big deal.

---The Big-East at present has 16 members.... and only eight play football.. In some cases this seems to work, and sometimes it doesn't, but I think the MVC died (or changed greatly) largely because of the conflict of interest of those who played football wtih those that didn't. It now is a basketball conference without football (I don't know about other sports) . The SBC is different cat somewhat...It was a basketball conference for many years before it added football and we became a member. This is not really a new conference, it just added football and then we joined. After the last round of changes (when Utah State and NMSU left) we seem to have one member that really doesn't fit... Denver... which is far away from everyone.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Denver needs to go...... yesterday.

I know, I know. They are the snow ski champion.

My opinion based on stuff I'm hearing here in the 'Boro -- conference shuffling with Coosa/SBC teams, and UALR, Denver, and UNO to other non-football conferences within 3-5 years.

I dont mind Denver....its in a good state and region and they are also a hockey powerhouse.

Well if they are willing to join the conference then I wouldnt mind them. I knew a few people who went to UD and I dont think they would be a bad thing for the belt.

Hate to break it to you Ali Bubba....but they're already in our conference.

Hate to break it to you Ali Bubba....but they're already in our conference.

Ali Bubba, now that's funny I don't care who you are.*

*No offense meant towards the followers of islam or the backwards-ass rednecks

Edited by GreenBat

We could use some baseball.

Sincerely,

Arlington, TX

Have you been paying attention to the Rangers lately? They are playing some good ball. I know. I know. About the time I start to believe in them, they'll falter, but enjoy it while you can. They've won 6 series in a row. The AL West is not good, but Texas is about 4 games out of 1st.

Sorry for the thread derailment. Back to...what was it again? All SBC schools need to fully participate in all sports?

GO MEAN GREEN BASEBALL!!!!!

Guest 97and03

I heard our baseball coach Steve Peterson on a local sports-talk station say that UNT was getting baseball (this was over a year ago). Any progress ?

Ok now you are just trying to be cruel.

I heard our baseball coach Steve Peterson on a local sports-talk station say that UNT was getting baseball (this was over a year ago). Any progress ?

We have been in the silent phase in baseball also for the past several years. But dont worry...its comin!

Edited by Green Mean