Ramone, Howie, And The Apr...

DeepGreen

"If all goes well when Lamar University president Dr. Jimmy Simmons meets with his board of regents the latter part of this week, an announcement on a football coach shouldn’t be far behind. The top three candidates, according to my sources, are Navarro JC head coach Ray Woodard, West Brook head coach Craig Stump and former North Texas offensive coordinator Ramone Flanagan. Woodard, who was a teammate of Todd Dodge at the University of Texas, seems to have the inside track to getting the job . . ."

"Don’t think I’ve ever had a better telephone interview that the one with Florida Atlantic’s Howard Schnellenberger last week. I was hoping for five or 10 minutes of discussion on what it’s like to start a football program from scratch and wound up getting 55. What I really enjoyed was that he’s not political, that he just comes out and says what he thinks. Like, for instance, he can’t understand why schools able to recruit the way Texas, Michigan and Alabama can are fooling around running spread offenses. Beyond not liking the offensive philosophy, he said it’s difficult to develop defensive toughness practicing against the spread . . . "

"Here’s why you shouldn’t be too impressed with the NCAA’s new academic performance guidelines that mainly penalize schools at the mid major level. The Ann Arbor News did a study on University of Michigan athletes and what degrees they were pursuing. The study, which zeroed in on 74 players on scholarship in 2004, found that 58 of them were majoring in something called general studies. They also found that only 176 other students out of 26,000 at Michigan were majoring in general studies. Can you say basket weaving? And don’t think for a minute think Michigan is alone in “athlete friendly” academic programs."

Bob West column for Sunday, May 11

The Port Arthur News

It'll be interesting to see how Schnelly's teams fair against a second year Dodge offense? He doesn't seem too impressed by it, and laughed at it on his way to last year's win.

I went to my sis's graduation ceremony yesterday (UTEP). Couldn't help but notice one of the PHD candidates did his dissertation on "Factors affecting basketball players' decision to play for the Big XII Conference"...not exactly the same wording, but in a nut shell why Big XII players chose to play in that conference. I wonder how he pulled that off.

Because it's the adult thing to do. But go ahead and stoop to his level if you choose.

Not being a fan of his coaching is one the thing, but his actions in the stands is quite another. Things like that are supposed to haunt you, thats what separates the men from the boys. He should not have done it, and it could have turned out to be a much bigger deal then it did. Thanks God it didn't, especially with RF being that far out of control in the stands.

Not being a fan of his coaching is one the thing, but his actions in the stands is quite another. Things like that are supposed to haunt you, thats what separates the men from the boys. He should not have done it, and it could have turned out to be a much bigger deal then it did. Thanks God it didn't, especially with RF being that far out of control in the stands.

Yes, the man was a jackass. Hence...us being jerks towards him after he is gone somewhere else trying to earn a paycheck would be stooping to his level. If someone else wants to hire him, good for RF - man's gotta eat. I mean I'm sure he didn't get a glowing recomendation from anyone at NT, so he had to earn the chance with his own interview. I don't give a crap about him, but I certainly won't hope he doesn't get a coaching job. That's as bush league as he was.

Edited by CMJ

college athletics, as well as the public sector, is a place for second or third chances. you do not have to look further than one of our own bb assistants, coach price. what a blessing he is for our program.

personally, i did not think too much of rf after the incident in the stands with se but everyone has to move on in a professional manner. we do not know what sort of pressure that certain jobs hinder our pysche but now rf wants to get back in the game. we should only wish him and others like him the best of luck in present and future job pursuits.

I don't give a crap about him, but I certainly won't hope he doesn't get a coaching job. That's as bush league as he was.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The worst aspect of having RF here wasn't his behavior in the stands or his play calling. It was his bahavior with the players and the lack of proper character anyone should want and expect out of their football coach. I hope he becomes a successful salesman, mechanic or whatever. But the last thing I would want him to be is any kind of influence over young people ever again. I wouldn't want him teaching my son a damn thing and I wouldn't want to see him teaching others as well.

Rick

What I really enjoyed was that he’s not political, that he just comes out and says what he thinks. Like, for instance, he can’t understand why schools able to recruit the way Texas, Michigan and Alabama can are fooling around running spread offenses. Beyond not liking the offensive philosophy, he said it’s difficult to develop defensive toughness practicing against the spread . . . "

Sounds like he has been hanging out with Frank Broyles too much latey, as Frank was quoted one day stating that the "Spread" won't work in the SEC".....guess he and Schnelly didn't watch Florida the year they won the title.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The worst aspect of having RF here wasn't his behavior in the stands or his play calling. It was his behavior with the players and the lack of proper character anyone should want and expect out of their football coach. I hope he becomes a successful salesman, mechanic or whatever. But the last thing I would want him to be is any kind of influence over young people ever again. I wouldn't want him teaching my son a damn thing and I wouldn't want to see him teaching others as well.

Rick

---Gotta to agree with Rick on this one.. There are a few things in life you don't second chances. You maybe get second chances for "one or two unfortunate incidents" of bad behavior but not for a string of regular bad behavior. That is one thing in life that often bothers me. Some people are just "too forgiving" and get the same again behavior when the guy (or kids) doesn't learn. This guy is no kid and isn't likely to change much. . One of my sons had a youth coach that had a history of such bad behavior and did it again and again and became so bad he was finally not even permitted to attend games, much less coach them. Found out later he had once coached in a HS and was ternimated there too. Most are just bullies and have a serious personallity problem. After being in public schools a long time I can assure you that you really don't want the type of guy around that badgers kids [seen some, they were soon gone and lousy coaches anyway]. Coaches need to be firm and have discipline but they also need to know when and how to behave themselves. Sounds as if he needs to get another occupation (and not be in charge of anyone).

---Second or third chances are ok for "questionable coaching skills" if his behavior is decent (maybe he gets better or talent changes) ... but not for having poor behavior. Too many parents are too tolerant with their kids and they get what they get. You can't imagine how often I have over-heard kids in my class claim "my parents won't do anything, they never do", so their ridiculous behavior continues. This guy to sit out of coaching a long time and learn people won't tolerate it... if not forever.

--If you like him, perhaps you would not mind working for him, I wouldn't. The players have less freedom to walk away than we would from a job. [ I didn't see the stand situation , but my son and his friends did ]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I guess the better question would be, what do UNT fans have to gain by going out of our way to mock and insult the guy?

As much as they do attempting to Rick Roll people on a message board.