Bcs Spring Meetings

NT80

If only there were some... I don't know... universal collegiate athletics governing body... a national collegiate athletic association, if you will... then THEY could hold, like, a tournament to decide the football national champion!

I think, if I remember correctly, they have some kind of a national collegiate athletic association for EVERY other sport that college has to offer - if they could just figure out how to make that idea work in football.

I will repost my Great Idea.

Every conference will be required to have a conference championship. These conference title games can be the lower-level bowl games (Poinsettia, New Orleans, Papa John's), or the conferences can just choose to get sponsors. Winners go to the NCAA Football Tournament.

12 conference champs get automatic bids, and the 4 teams ranked highest in the polls but did not win their conference championship will also get in.

That makes 16 teams playing 15 games over the course of 4 weeks. The first round can be the old bowl games like the Citrus, Peach, Sun, Gator, Alamo, Liberty, Holiday, Cotton.

The second can be the classic "Big Bowls": Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Rose.

On a rotating basis, one of the Big Bowl sites can host the Final Four and National Championship in an eight day media blitz that would bring in so much money that the BCS morons will wonder why they ever opposed such a thing.

Every bowl game would be meaningful, and every team in Div-I would have a fair shot to become national champion.

I will repost my Great Idea.

Every conference will be required to have a conference championship. These conference title games can be the lower-level bowl games (Poinsettia, New Orleans, Papa John's), or the conferences can just choose to get sponsors. Winners go to the NCAA Football Tournament.

12 conference champs get automatic bids, and the 4 teams ranked highest in the polls but did not win their conference championship will also get in.

That makes 16 teams playing 15 games over the course of 4 weeks. The first round can be the old bowl games like the Citrus, Peach, Sun, Gator, Alamo, Liberty, Holiday, Cotton.

The second can be the classic "Big Bowls": Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, Rose.

On a rotating basis, one of the Big Bowl sites can host the Final Four and National Championship in an eight day media blitz that would bring in so much money that the BCS morons will wonder why they ever opposed such a thing.

Every bowl game would be meaningful, and every team in Div-I would have a fair shot to become national champion.

I like the idea and it is a pretty good one, but if came to a vote from the school Presidents, those from the Big 6 power conferences would never vote for it with the 12 conference champs getting automatic bids.

Just more talk about how the Big 6 can rake in more cash while leaving the other conferences begging for scraps.[/quote

When NT gets more that 17-18k attendance then there should be some outrage. Joinig a BCS conference would be one-sided; the conferece would prop up NT...

The primary goal of the BCS is to allow those big schools that attract the dollars keep what they feel is their money.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if one day the elite programs try to form their own super-conference...

Edited by russell360

Now guys if there was some sort of national collegiate athletic association I would suspect they have more important things to worry about then sports. Like policing Team names and mascots for what they feel is politically correct as of today. Surely maintaining mandatory PC should be the first and foremost concern of any sports collegiate association, why would an association focus on their actual scope of responsibilities?

Here's a snippet from the ESPN article about the meeting:

"Of course not, but that's the hypocrisy of the BCS logic. It clings to this silly idea that the regular season would be in peril if a Final Four-type playoff were instituted, even if that regular season includes such memorable 2007 cupcake matchups as North Texas at Oklahoma (79-10), Western Carolina at Georgia (45-16), William & Mary at Virginia Tech (44-3) and Northwestern State at Texas Tech (75-7). So let's quit with the regular-season-is-sacred propaganda."

It's not so encouraging to see us as listed as "cupcakes" along with the 1AA schools.

It's not so encouraging to see us as listed as "cupcakes" along with the 1AA schools.

It sucks to be a valid argument, but it's true. Have to play 12 games, and after teams play their conference, what's left? Oklahoma won't risk their BCS shot by playing top-notch mid-majors. The BCS committee's logic is flawed. Protecting your biased pre-season poll ranking is the only way get a BCS game, and that is what cheapens the regular season.

On the other hand, by pushing a playoff format would the big teams suddenly not bother to play the mid-majors for those easy wins? Would they instead look for the big payoff games like Oklahoma-USC, Florida-Texas, etc to kick off the regular season?