I'm sure that as soon as Avery's ass is fired by Cuban he'll get a new job within a month, but the dude is sorry. IMHO he will never win a championship or even have playoff success unless he coaches the exact same type of team he played for in SA. The guy believes that the only way a PG can lead a team is the way he did it in SA. He simply does not realize that different PGs play different ways. He had 2 above average PGs in his tenure wit the Mavericks. Sadly neither of his PGs played the same kind of game he did, which was slow it down and find isolated scorers in the half court without movement.He tried to force an athletic Harris to do it his way. When that failed he begged for Kidd. Kidd is a great PG and because of how great Kidd was, Avery assumed that he was the same kind of PG that Avery himself was. Not true.Avery has won a championship as a player, but he does not know enough about the game to adapt to any style of play other than what he as a player did in SA. I feel sorry for the next team that hires him.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that as soon as Avery's ass is fired by Cuban he'll get a new job within a month, but the dude is sorry. IMHO he will never win a championship or even have playoff success unless he coaches the exact same type of team he played for in SA. The guy believes that the only way a PG can lead a team is the way he did it in SA. He simply does not realize that different PGs play different ways. He had 2 above average PGs in his tenure wit the Mavericks. Sadly neither of his PGs played the same kind of game he did, which was slow it down and find isolated scorers in the half court without movement.He tried to force an athletic Harris to do it his way. When that failed he begged for Kidd. Kidd is a great PG and because of how great Kidd was, Avery assumed that he was the same kind of PG that Avery himself was. Not true.Avery has won a championship as a player, but he does not know enough about the game to adapt to any style of play other than what he as a player did in SA. I feel sorry for the next team that hires him.

Sounds like you've got him all figured out! I think you should write Cuban, clearly he is ignorant of this because he only notices the shot clock.

Not to bash the Mavs but I was at the game Wednesday and I will take the Hornets in 5. Mavs may have won that game but the Hornets seemed to let up in the 4th. In the last two minutes they hardly tried. Whenever the last two minutes takes three minutes to play there is no effort by at least one team.

I hope the Mavs win but I don't feel good at all about it, Dirk looked horrible most of the night. Kid has a record of poor displays in the playoffs, so says Norm.

Hornets in 5, subject to change my mind after todays game.

Sadly I got the call right do I win anything? A new head coach? A big man at center? Trade them all and start with a clean slate?

Shameless self promotion - we have four part farewell Mavs series on the TY Sports page if anyone still cares.

Fun joke at the Stars game tonight: What do Mavs fans and sailors have in common? They both follow the Stars after they suffer a big loss.

Weak and corny, yet poignant.

If Boston somehow finds a way to lose this series with Atlanta...... thats a bigger collapse than Dallas last year. Not that it really means anything, but it'd make me feel a little better.

No, it really isn't. Dallas won a record number of games last year. At the very least, it's about equitable.

But misery does love company and after the raping the Rockets took last night, I'll join you.

No, it really isn't. Dallas won a record number of games last year. At the very least, it's about equitable.

But misery does love company and after the raping the Rockets took last night, I'll join you.

Dallas went 67-15 and blew it to the 42-40 Warriors. Boston went 66-16 and could potentially blow it to the 37-45 Atlanta Hawks. Are you saying that the fact that Dallas won one more game in the regular season last year would overshadow the fact that Boston would be knocked out by a team eight games below .500?

I think those sports fans up in Boston deserve a little collapse action these days. Just wait and see how long it takes for Celtics fans to declare they really only care about the Red Sox.

Dallas went 67-15 and blew it to the 42-40 Warriors. Boston went 66-16 and could potentially blow it to the 37-45 Atlanta Hawks. Are you saying that the fact that Dallas won one more game in the regular season last year would overshadow the fact that Boston would be knocked out by a team eight games below .500?

I think those sports fans up in Boston deserve a little collapse action these days. Just wait and see how long it takes for Celtics fans to declare they really only care about the Red Sox.

Laughing at Eagle1855 - yes this would be an even bigger joke, but that is like comparing a 30 car pileup to a 32 car pileup....

Boston will probably walk through the next round against Lebron, and then they can take turns with Detroit deciding what games they should each care about and try in. There have been quite a few games in both conferences where teams have just quit - the NBA is FANtastic!

Also, NO didn't look too bad last night...

Laughing at Eagle1855 - yes this would be an even bigger joke, but that is like comparing a 30 car pileup to a 32 car pileup....

Yes, but they didn't lose. So congrats, Mav Fans... you've still got the biggest choke on record.

I tend to think this helps Boston more than it hurts them. They strolled in thinking they had a cakewalk to the championship. Clearly not the case. The game yesterday resembled the team that won 66 games in the regular season.

If nothing else, they've succeeded in getting me moderately interested in Eastern conference basketball. Not sure when was the last time I could say that.

Yes, but they didn't lose. So congrats, Mav Fans... you've still got the biggest choke on record.

Whatever makes you feel better about McGrady and the boys is okay with me!

Boo Mavs!

Guest JohnDenver

Whatever makes you feel better about McGrady and the boys is okay with me!

Boo Mavs!

Remember, keep telling yourself, Houston has at least 10 more years of being good.

Congrats on being TYPICAL Dallas fans. Someone makes one comment about last year's total failure and everyone pulls out their tissues... waah.

You're still the only franchise in the state without at least 2 championships and all Cuban's money still can't buy a ring- and it isn't going to happen anytime soon. The Mavs are headed for troubled waters. Anyone who looks at things objectively can see that. But at least you've got hockey... the most relevant sport on the planet.

Wasn't even trying to pick a fight so unwaddeth thine panties- just calling a spade a spade. Trust me, as a Houston sport's fan, I've got plenty of failure to discuss... the NBA is just the one area where we've had success.

Edited by Eagle1855

Congrats on being TYPICAL Dallas fans. Someone makes one comment about last year's total failure and everyone pulls out their tissues... waah.

You're still the only franchise in the state without at least 2 championships and all Cuban's money still can't buy a ring- and it isn't going to happen anytime soon. The Mavs are headed for troubled waters. Anyone who looks at things objectively can see that. But at least you've got hockey... the most relevant sport on the planet.

Wasn't even trying to pick a fight so unwaddeth thine panties- just calling a spade a spade. Trust me, as a Houston sport's fan, I've got plenty of failure to discuss... the NBA is just the one area where we've had success.

I really thought you'd know that was a good-natured shot at this point, but I guess that Houston "Dallas is my mean big brother and we have these two NBA titles and decades of failure everywhere else so yell about the two titles more" reflex caught on.

Hockey is my favorite sport by far and it is cute to watch the hockey n00bs get fired up. If you want to use the popularity/interest argument to bash what I like - here's a newsflash: we both root for one of the most irrelevant college sports teams playing right now.

I am sad that you cannot handle the teasing sir.

Weren't you (like me) an Oiler's fan?

How can you even bring up the word "choke" without having flashbacks of Buffalo and fighting back hot, bitter tears?

I really thought you'd know that was a good-natured shot at this point, but I guess that Houston "Dallas is my mean big brother and we have these two NBA titles and decades of failure everywhere else so yell about the two titles more" reflex caught on.

Hockey is my favorite sport by far and it is cute to watch the hockey n00bs get fired up. If you want to use the popularity/interest argument to bash what I like - here's a newsflash: we both root for one of the most irrelevant college sports teams playing right now.

I am sad that you cannot handle the teasing sir.

ah jaysus... self-deprecating humor is my specialty. I haven't any problems calling myself out on anything. The fact that I'm even having to explain this makes me realize I need to cut my losses and board the next FAIL train out of this thread.

I think either city bragging about their successes is somewhat laughable at this point. I mean, let's be real... there hasn't been a city more prone to choke than Dallas in the past 5 years. Houston has a pennant and an abortion of a World Series (that might have been closer than the sweep indicated, but a miserable failure all the same). Not a lot of win there. Dallas has had a lot of potential and with it has managed to do a whole lot of nothing. I mean, the Texans have still won the same amount of playoff games as the Cowboys in their existence.

But then there's hockey and the boat loads of wagon-jumpers, which you have already addressed, so I'll leave that be.

(and just a side note, I actually watched the 3rd period and the first OT last night before falling asleep... not a hockey fan by any means, but I enjoyed the intensity of a tied playoff game with elimination at stake)

Weren't you (like me) an Oiler's fan?

How can you even bring up the word "choke" without having flashbacks of Buffalo and fighting back hot, bitter tears?

Years of therapy and I still can't move on. Thankfully I wasn't yet born when the 1979 AFC Championship game was played...

But then there's hockey and the boat loads of wagon-jumpers, which you have already addressed, so I'll leave that be.

(and just a side note, I actually watched the 3rd period and the first OT last night before falling asleep... not a hockey fan by any means, but I enjoyed the intensity of a tied playoff game with elimination at stake)

It's the second greatest happening in all of sports...besides sudden elimination Dodge Ball.

I tend to think this helps Boston more than it hurts them. They strolled in thinking they had a cakewalk to the championship. Clearly not the case. The game yesterday resembled the team that won 66 games in the regular season.

If nothing else, they've succeeded in getting me moderately interested in Eastern conference basketball. Not sure when was the last time I could say that.

I hate the NBA.

I used to love to go to Mavlicks games, but there is so much suckitude, and downright dishonesty in the league in so many ways, that it makes me want to get up on my high horse and post on a message board.

I refuse to be a part of it.