Texas State Gunnin' For The Sun Belt ?

MeanGreen61

Exerpts

1. Texas State needs a conference that will have it.

2. Texas State needs to win much bigger than it has to this point, while nearly doubling its $13 million budget to improve facilities, raise coaching salaries and fund 85 scholarships, up from the 63 allowed in I-AA.

Both are easier said than done, but a move to Division I would drastically raise the school's profile, encourage larger donations and bring the exposure that most doctoral research institutions enjoy.

So Texas State will probably set its sights on the Sun Belt. It wouldn't find a natural rival there outside of North Texas, and travel expenses would grow with trips to Florida Atlantic and Florida International as well as Troy, but what beggar can be choosy? The Bobcats certainly could not make it as an independent. There's only one Notre Dame.

Article

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp.../0413bohls.html

Personally I'd love to see both Texas State and UTSA in the Belt with us playing there in alternate years. That would give me one Mean Green game in my backyard every year! Of course by 2012 UNT might be in CUSA by then!

Both Texas State and UTSA are striving to not only field Division 1 Bowl Division football teams but have both made commitmets that will quickly dwarf UNT's budget.

Both UTSA and Texas State have voted to incrementally raise their athletics fee to the state maximum of $20 per credit hour for up to 12 hours per student per semester. At enrollmets of 29,000 for UTSA and 28,000 for Texas State the student fees alone for these two schools would give them a larger budget than the Sun Belt schools. Additionally the communities have already statrted to increase their financial support to athletics at both schools. Texas State has seen an increase in donations since the new commitment and UTSA has received funding from Bexar County to pay for baseball, softball, and track facilities out of the county's amateur athletics / parks funding. New Orleans Saints owner and San Antonio resident Red McCombs has actively pursued having UTSA football be the primary tenant of the Alamo Dome citing the revenue that visiting sports fans bring to the Riverwalk and the San Antonio economy. The downtown hotels are helping push the agenda.

And one more note: UTSA has already implemented the fee increase even though a schedule has not even been set for what year they will add football. They want to be able to hire coaches at the top levels from the very start.

Edited by ADLER

Both Texas State and UTSA are striving to not only field Division 1 Bowl Division football teams but have both made commitmets that will quickly dwarf UNT's budget.

Both UTSA and Texas State have voted to incrementally raise their athletics fee to the state maximum of $20 per credit hour for up to 12 hours per student per semester. At enrollmets of 20,000 for UTSA and 28,000 for Texas State the student fees alone for these two schools would give them a larger budget than most Sun Belt schools. Additionally the communities have already statrted to increase their financial support to athletics at both schools. Texas State has seen an increase in donations since the new commitment and UTSA has received funding from Bexar County to pay for baseball, softball, and track facilities out of the county's amateur athletics / parks funding. New Orleans Saints owner and San Antonio resident Red McCombs has actively pursued having UTSA football be the primary tenant of the Alamo Dome citing the revenue that visiting sports fans bring to the Riverwalk and the San Antonio economy. The downtown hotels are helping push the agenda.

And one more note: UTSA has already implemented the fee increase even though a schedule has not even been set for what year they will add football. They want to be able to hire coaches at the top levels from the very start.

These comments from the article about UTSA:

"Meanwhile, Lamar and Texas-San Antonio are starting football programs, and the latter school can offer a bigger city, enrollment and stadium (Alamodome) than Texas State can. So the rush is on, although Teis said "we're worrying about Texas State and not anybody else."

With the AlamoDome and San Antonio behind it I can see UTSA getting up to 1-A much faster than Tx St. In fact, if we are not careful and get our act together ASAP, UTSA could be the next Central Florida and move right on up past us! :huh:

Slight error...Army is independent in football, Patriot League in everything else. Doesn't change anything, but I guess worth mentioning.

2012 will be fascinating if more of these little programs come on line in Bowl Subdiv. If we don't go anywhere (God forbid), I can see the Sun Belt divisioning off for football and less travel to the east in that sport. Maybe us, UTSA, Texas State, ULala, ULM and Arky State in West...Troy, Muts, FlaAtl, FlaInt and WKU in East. Wonder if anyone that direction is trying to move up, too?

Sun Belt will be quite the dumping ground for low-budgeted, cash-strapped football. Awesome!

New Orleans Saints owner and San Antonio resident Red McCombs has actively pursued having UTSA football be the primary tenant of the Alamo Dome citing the revenue that visiting sports fans bring to the Riverwalk and the San Antonio economy.

Minor nit; but Tom Benson owns the Saints, not McCombs. However I think you are correct about McCombs support of the football program at UTSA. Of note, Benson did give a big chunk of change to the Univ of the Incarnate Word in SA to start their football program.

Personally, I'd like to see both programs grow and enter the Belt. I think both could help the conference if they don't get too big for their britches. I think we could see some big shakeups in a few more years. A little more regional could help us all. Those trips to South Florida are fun; but expensive and tough on the fans who want to follow their teams.

The article is kind in refering to them as a doctoral research institution. In a technical sense, one could call them that, as they do have a handful of doctoral programs and do do some research. However, that doesn't characterize them. Their programs are few, and their research budget is small. They would like to join the state's "emerging research" universities (like UNT and UT Arlington), but they are not there. They are really a masters institution. (Not a thing wrong with that.)

Besides that, they can thank UT San Antonio's f-ball movement for jump starting them into action. UTSA is beating them out as a research institution, and they don't want to get left behind in f-ball.

Good luck to them.

I guess I am in the minority here but hopefully with the pressure now being applied by UTSA, Lamar, and Texas state with their F-Ball programs will make our Administration start looking ahead at Open Road rather than continually choking on the exhaust from other programs that are quickly passing us. The ultimate embarassment would be if Tx State makes the jump to 1-A, WKU and USA also jump in and start beating us. I would love to see Tx State as a natural rival and if in the end it creates a new regional conference then so be it. Let Troy, USA, FAU, FIU, WKU, MTSU go off on their own or the very least make it a 2 division conference for Football.

...2012 will be fascinating if more of these little programs come on line in Bowl Subdiv. If we don't go anywhere (God forbid), I can see the Sun Belt divisioning off for football and less travel to the east in that sport. Maybe us, UTSA, Texas State, ULala, ULM and Arky State in West...Troy, Muts, FlaAtl, FlaInt and WKU in East. Wonder if anyone that direction is trying to move up, too?...

Well the Sun Belt is already taking in start up South Alabama in 2013 (they play their first season as a FB team in 2009, and plan to start the two year transition to 1A/FBS in 2011, of course that is pending any ncaa FBS membership requirement changes after the moratorium). That will put the Sun Belt at ten. I don't believe we need to take any more start ups. With Denver likely gone by 2012, Sun Belt will have 12 for basketball and ten for FB. If the SBC decides for whatever reason to go to Divisions for FB and have to add two more for that and had no other candidates but 1aa/FCS programs, I would favor Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. Both have good facilities, great tradition of good football, good fan support (app state's average attendance in 2007 was 24,219 for 9 games, 145% of capacity -they're currently expanding/renovating their stadium, and georgia southern averaged 18,925 for six games in 2007, 105% of capacity). Other schools frequently mentioned as candidates don't nearly have the facilities, tradition or suppoort that App State and Georgia Southern have (Missouri State average attendance last season was 10,474 and Texas State's average attendance was 11,408). Latech in 1A/FBS averaged 18,562. Georgia Southern is doing a 1A/FBS feasibility study and while App State isn't at the moment, the moratorium on moves from 1aa/FCS doesn't end until 2011, so there's time for them to do that. Those two are highly competitive teams that would compete immediately and would not likely weaken football as adding some more start ups when the Sun Belt is already obligated to take South Alabama if they meet the ncaa requirements in place after the moratorium.

Other schools in the east that are talking 1a/FBS football are Jacksonville State in Alabama, presently 1aa in the ovc, start ups likely looking to go 1A/FBS will be Charlotte, Old Dominion, and 1aa power James Madison. As someone said in a post on GoMiddle.com about Texas State and others "Good thing we don't have to take them if we don't want to."

Well the Sun Belt is already taking in start up South Alabama in 2013 (they play their first season as a FB team in 2009, and plan to start the two year transition to 1A/FBS in 2011, of course that is pending any ncaa FBS membership requirement changes after the moratorium). That will put the Sun Belt at ten. I don't believe we need to take any more start ups. With Denver likely gone by 2012, Sun Belt will have 12 for basketball and ten for FB. If the SBC decides for whatever reason to go to Divisions for FB and have to add two more for that and had no other candidates but 1aa/FCS programs, I would favor Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. Both have good facilities, great tradition of good football, good fan support (app state's average attendance in 2007 was 24,219 for 9 games, 145% of capacity -they're currently expanding/renovating their stadium, and georgia southern averaged 18,925 for six games in 2007, 105% of capacity). Other schools frequently mentioned as candidates don't nearly have the facilities, tradition or suppoort that App State and Georgia Southern have (Missouri State average attendance last season was 10,474 and Texas State's average attendance was 11,408). Latech in 1A/FBS averaged 18,562. Georgia Southern is doing a 1A/FBS feasibility study and while App State isn't at the moment, the moratorium on moves from 1aa/FCS doesn't end until 2011, so there's time for them to do that. Those two are highly competitive teams that would compete immediately and would not likely weaken football as adding some more start ups when the Sun Belt is already obligated to take South Alabama if they meet the ncaa requirements in place after the moratorium.

Other schools in the east that are talking 1a/FBS football are Jacksonville State in Alabama, presently 1aa in the ovc, start ups likely looking to go 1A/FBS will be Charlotte, Old Dominion, and 1aa power James Madison. As someone said in a post on GoMiddle.com about Texas State and others "Good thing we don't have to take them if we don't want to."

One start-up that might bear watching is Charlotte. Develop a relationship and maybe down the road lure them out of the A10.

I would prefer to actually be able to see my team play an away game every now and again without traveling halfway across the country.

Honestly,

I would look forward to games against North Texas.

From lurking around this board, I get the impression that you guys would welcome more Texas opponents to develop a rivalry.

Honestly,

From lurking around this board, I get the impression that you guys would welcome more Texas opponents to develop a rivalry.

I surely welcome Texas opponents but on the football front other than any big 12, cusa, mwc school, the only other school I would want to welcome to playing in footbal is Texas State. I think it would be a nice rivalry to develop considering I do consider TSU a school that could be a sleeper that could become a major sports player in the next decade or two if they have their head right with ball which seems like they do.

Honestly,

I enjoy playing against you guys, but it would be nice to have a team or two in our state on the slate as well.

Exerpts

1. Texas State needs a conference that will have it.

2. Texas State needs to win much bigger than it has to this point, while nearly doubling its $13 million budget to improve facilities, raise coaching salaries and fund 85 scholarships, up from the 63 allowed in I-AA.

Both are easier said than done, but a move to Division I would drastically raise the school's profile, encourage larger donations and bring the exposure that most doctoral research institutions enjoy.

So Texas State will probably set its sights on the Sun Belt. It wouldn't find a natural rival there outside of North Texas, and travel expenses would grow with trips to Florida Atlantic and Florida International as well as Troy, but what beggar can be choosy? The Bobcats certainly could not make it as an independent. There's only one Notre Dame.

Article

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp.../0413bohls.html

I view Texas state as a no win situation for UNT if they get in the conference....no help if we win, and a hurt if we lose to them.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I enjoy playing against you guys, but it would be nice to have a team or two in our state on the slate as well.

Umm.....they are in our state. They're at San Marcos. Troy is no longer tsu; just tu. They dropped the state a couple of years ago. This TSU is Texas State University.

Umm.....they are in our state. They're at San Marcos. Troy is no longer tsu; just tu. They dropped the state a couple of years ago. This TSU is Texas State University.

They are not TSU. They are officially TSU-SM, Texas State University - San Marcos.

They are not TSU. They are officially TSU-SM, Texas State University - San Marcos.

I agree, Texas State is not TSU. TSU will always be Tarleton State for me. This is a screen name that I have used since my time at Tarleton State University.

People from Houston will see Texas Southern as TSU. The abbreviation for Texas State that I usually see is TXST.

Just for the Record

My undergrad is from Tarleton

My grad degree is from Texas State