Basketball Banquet

Boomer23

What was the attendance like? Two standing ovations for Slinker...don't you just love the hypocrisy of it all.

Yeah, we all pitched in for a bus to hit her as she walked out, but the stupid driver was late and clipped a trainer instead. That'll teach me to outsource.

GM & Quoner,

You 2 clueless. The hypocrisy drex speaks of is how the majority of the fan base, me included, wanted Slinker gone five years ago. Yet she gets not one, but two standing ovations from a fan base that is glad to see her moving on.

Doesn't mean we're not all thankful for the committment and time she spent at NT. She might not have been a good coach, but she graduated girls & always was a good ambassador for the school. She held an admin position for awhile, and even woulda taken one after her coaching contract was terminated. I mean after 19 years, good or bad, she proved she really cared about our institution. You can want someone to move on and still appreciate them.

Edited by CMJ

GM & Quoner,

You 2 clueless. The hypocrisy drex speaks of is how the majority of the fan base, me included, wanted Slinker gone five years ago. Yet she gets not one, but two standing ovations from a fan base that is glad to see her moving on.

I don't see hypocrisy at all. I think the job decision was long overdue, but I would be embarrassed if she got anything less. She took a thankless job and never reached its potential, but she still worked here longer than most and brought a lot of great girls through Denton in her time. you recognize that and move on - or you just applaud the fact that she is leaving.

I just find humor in a lot of people wishing her beyond ill for no reason. It's women's f'ng basketball - it will never produce revenue even if we are good and it is the least of our worries right now.

She might not have been a good coach, but she graduated girls & always was a good ambassador for the school.

With all due respect, I'm just not seeing how she wasn't a "good" coach. Sure she wasn't a GREAT coach like a Pat Summitt or Gail Goestenkors, but I'd hardly say she wasn't deserving of all her 19 years.

"Slinker led the Mean Green to a Big West Conference eastern division championship in 1999, an eastern division co-championship in 2000, a 2002 and 2006 Sun Belt Conference Western Division title and two consecutive trips to the Postseason WNIT, marking the first back-to-back postseason appearances by the Mean Green in school history. The 2001-2002 season saw Slinker’s team produce a school record 21 wins." -meangreensports.com

Big West Conference Coach of the Year in 1998-99.

I can vouch that I was present at every women's game cheering on Tina Slinker and the Women's team this year. The potential of these ladies is just outstanding and I am looking forward to every women's season to come. Slinker has coached many amazing young ladies and I wish her the best of luck in whereve life takes her next!

Let's show the ladies how much we support them next year. Invite your friends to the women's games too! Let's start the new chapter of North Texas Women's Basketball off right! :lol:

With all due respect, I'm just not seeing how she wasn't a "good" coach. Sure she wasn't a GREAT coach like a Pat Summitt or Gail Goestenkors, but I'd hardly say she wasn't deserving of all her 19 years.

"Slinker led the Mean Green to a Big West Conference eastern division championship in 1999, an eastern division co-championship in 2000, a 2002 and 2006 Sun Belt Conference Western Division title and two consecutive trips to the Postseason WNIT, marking the first back-to-back postseason appearances by the Mean Green in school history. The 2001-2002 season saw Slinker’s team produce a school record 21 wins." -meangreensports.com

Big West Conference Coach of the Year in 1998-99.

I can vouch that I was present at every women's game cheering on Tina Slinker and the Women's team this year. The potential of these ladies is just outstanding and I am looking forward to every women's season to come. Slinker has coached many amazing young ladies and I wish her the best of luck in whereve life takes her next!

Let's show the ladies how much we support them next year. Invite your friends to the women's games too! Let's start the new chapter of North Texas Women's Basketball off right! :lol:

It's kind of hard to fairly judge Slinker in alot of ways. Her all time record is like 40 games under .500 but for her first 7-10 years she didn't get much support. Just when she probably would've been put on the hot seat the football & men's bball squads were sucking so bad she sorta flew under the radar. Then we had a few good recruiting casses and she had a very good run from about 1998 thru 2002 which won her some fans and time. But from 2003 to present day we basically went back to down seasons except for the 2006 Division championship.

I wouldn't say she was a TERRIBLE coach, but I'd find to hard to call her very good either. And just to clarify I've defended Tina an awful lot thru the years...I was in school for several of her good teams in the '98-02 run - and that was practically the only time I could consistently go root on a winner. So I have alot of good will built up for her I'd say.

And just to clarify I've defended Tina an awful lot thru the years...I was in school for several of her good teams in the '98-02 run - and that was practically the only time I could consistently go root on a winner. So I have alot of good will built up for her I'd say.

for sure. I definitely wasn't trying to "call you out" or anything like that. :lol:

Been busy with class and other stuff, Ill have some video cut and online sometime tonight.

EDIT:

I have the first of three videos up ( I split them up so it wouldn't be too long).

http://nttvsports.wordpress.com/2008/04/10...april-9th-2008/

First up is Rick V and Dr. Bataille.

Tina and the Women's awards is uploading to the internet now.

Johnny and the Men is being edited.

Edited by HMNSHLD

Okay so if Dickey was 22 games under .500 and gets a whole practice field named after him , shouldn't Slinker get 1/2 of a practice court named after her as well ??? U know one of those courts where they set up some kind of net in the middle ???? Or at least a time line ?? :ph34r:

I

Edited by NT03

Okay so if Dickey was 22 games under .500 and gets a whole practice field named after him , shouldn't Slinker get 1/2 of a practice court named after her as well ??? U know one of those courts where they set up some kind of net in the middle ???? Or at least a time line ?? :ph34r:

Maybe the coaches offices since she lived there.