Latest On The Wbb Coaching Search

SUMG

(story from dallasnews.com.....by Brett Vito):

DENTON – Oklahoma State assistant coach Kenya Larkin will be the first of four candidates to interview to become the next women's basketball coach at North Texas, a job that has piqued the interest of Hall of Famer Nancy Lieberman.

Larkin will interview at UNT today, a source close to the search said Monday. Former UT-Arlington head coach Donna Capps will interview Friday.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal originally asked Lieberman to be an adviser in the search, but Lieberman said Monday that she could become a candidate for the job.

"I have talked to Rick informally and have not ruled out interviewing," she said. "There is no reason for me not to consider myself a candidate."

Lieberman visited UNT last week and said she was impressed with the school and Villarreal's vision for the athletic department. The location of the school also appealed to Lieberman, who lives in the Dallas area.

Lieberman said she has not applied for the job.

"Does it make sense from the surface?" Lieberman said. "Yes, it does, but I would have to explore the situation."

Lieberman was a three-time All-America selection at Old Dominion, won a silver medal in the 1976 Olympics and is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Villarreal declined to identify the two other coaches who will interview this week.

Clemson associate head coach Shanice Stephens, who spent nine seasons as an assistant at Rice, has expressed interest in the job.

UNT is searching for a replacement for Tina Slinker, whose contract was not renewed after her 19th season at the school.

Here is what Vito posted on his blog Monday:

"Nancy Lieberman is not among the four candidates who will interview this week, but it is starting to look like she might become a candidate. Lieberman confirmed Monday what Villarreal said earlier this week, she was first contacted by UNT to help in the search in an advisory capacity. Lieberman took a trip to UNT's campus and became intrigued by the job. Lieberman had not applied, but she said there is no reason not to consider her a candidate for the job. It seems pretty obvious that UNT will make a push for Lieberman, who would be a splash hire for the athletic department on a national level."

Splash vs. Substance?

I am not that familiar with Lieberman's coaching career. Someone posted she coached in the WNBA a couple seasons, but not at the college level, although she runs (or has run) basketball camps for many different age groups? Has she coached recently?

I know Capps' last four seasons at UTA was very impressive and she took teams twice to the NCAA tourney. She may not have the name recognition of Lieberman but has impressive results turning around a program.

I guess it will come down to who RV feels is best overall for the program. Should be interesting, and something we probably should have done a couple years ago. <_<

The woman from Oklahoma State (Larkin)....I'm not sure how experienced she is. Today's D-RC noted that she played on Trinity Valley CC's National Championship team in 1999. So, if she was 20 (?) or so then....she can't be much older than 29...I'm guessing.

I don't know. You have such great experienced candidates like Brock and Capps....and you'd hire a really young coach or a Hall of Fame Player....neither of whom have that much coaching experience?

Not me.

I'm for Capps or Brock.

The woman from Oklahoma State (Larkin)....I'm not sure how experienced she is. Today's D-RC noted that she played on Trinity Valley CC's National Championship team in 1999. So, if she was 20 (?) or so then....she can't be much older than 29...I'm guessing.

I don't know. You have such great experienced candidates like Brock and Capps....and you'd hire a really young coach or a Hall of Fame Player....neither of whom have that much coaching experience?

Not me.

I'm for Capps or Brock.

I know what you are saying but in regards to Larkin, I think some people just have "IT" and if she is 29 but has the mind of a good coach and recruiter then I am all for her. She is someone I think recruits will be able to identify with cuz she is a proven winner (albeit as a player) and her age is young so people may be more inclined to gel with her. Afcourse I am not saying its guaranteed but its a possibility. I say hire the best candidate period whether its Lieberman, Capps, Larkin, or Brock.

I know what you are saying but in regards to Larkin, I think some people just have "IT" and if she is 29 but has the mind of a good coach and recruiter then I am all for her. She is someone I think recruits will be able to identify with cuz she is a proven winner (albeit as a player) and her age is young so people may be more inclined to gel with her. Afcourse I am not saying its guaranteed but its a possibility. I say hire the best candidate period whether its Lieberman, Capps, Larkin, or Brock.

Trust me buddy...no matter who we hire...I will certainly give them a chance, and will be glad to welcome them to the NT Family.

Not me.

I'm for Capps or Brock.

I do like what Capps has done in the past - I will go with what you all say. I know so little about who is good for the hire, and you guys are much more knowledgeable than myself.

Trust me buddy...no matter who we hire...I will certainly give them a chance, and will be glad to welcome them to the NT Family.

I'm all for the lady in your avatar as Head Coach and the lady in Green Mean's avatar as her assistant. I would drive in from Houston for those games.

Seriously, I would prefer Capps or Brock also from the candidates listed.

This is actually quite simple.

If Nancy Lieberman will accept the position, you hire her.

If she won't, then you take the next best candidate.

Why would you take her over the others? I understand that she would generate the most publicity, but can she coach? She is known to be tough to deal with, I can confirm this personally, and she doesn't have much of a background coaching/recruiting.

Why would you take her over the others? I understand that she would generate the most publicity, but can she coach? She is known to be tough to deal with, I can confirm this personally, and she doesn't have much of a background coaching/recruiting.

Lieberman coached the Shock for three years accumulating a 46-48 record and leading the team to its first postseason appearance in the 1999 season.

Agree, she would be the media favorite and make a big splash the program would like to have but can she coach the X's and O's like Capps or Brock?

My question...can Liberman recruit and does she have the "want too" to go on the road and all over creation to talk UNT Women's basketball???? I just wonder if the "fire is in the belly" for that sort of thing...also...I hear her personality can be a bit on the "Bobby Knight" side of things...but, I will galdly give aany new coach a chance to get it done for the ladies on the hardcourt! It is way past time that UNT had a GREAT women's BB team!

She may not be the best "coach" but with the current situation, anybody is a huge upgrade from Slinker. I think her biggest thing will be recruiting...I honestly think she will have the best opportunity to recruit the best candidates compared to the other candidates. If you have talent you dont have to be the best coach to win and I think that is just the level that NT WBB is looking to go to next.

I don't know if you young folks have any idea what a coups it would be to hire Nancy Lieberman. This would be like hiring Michael Jordan to coach the men's team.

MJ likewise is a great player and would bring a lot of media attention, but would he be a superstar head coach too? Great players don't always make great coaches. We are fortunate to have a couple good choices to consider and I expect RV to make a Dodge-like hire. :D