Fau And Fiu, New Football Stadiums

Charlie NT 73

I picked up these 2 stories from "GoTroyTrojans.com" this morning.

FAU:

News article from TC Palm news, regarding a fund raising function

where coach Snelly states the ok has been passed to build a 30K, $62mil,

FB stadium on campus, plus, FAU's goal to be in the Big East, SEC and-

or ACC by 2012.

http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9821

FIU:

Picture of their new on campus stadium construction.

http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9826

Edited by charlie nt73

Schnelly really wants back into a BCS conference......

ThePowerMan

GoTroyTrojans.Com Member Join Date: Dec 2004

FAU is on the Move toward better things

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a FAU fan either.........Let me start with that so I won't get blasted like BMarkey. But I like the way FAU is moving toward a BCS conference. Coach S doesn't hold back. He is determined to move from the Sunbelt. We should have the same outlook. He thanks the Sunbelt for where they are at but he then says the Sunbelt is not a stopping point in their process to reach a BCS.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/mar/...ant-hold-back/

VERO BEACH — Howard Schnellenberger’s past keeps pushing him to the future.

The head football coach of Florida Atlantic University, Schnellenberger was on a fundraising venture in Vero Beach Wednesday night to discuss FAU’s recent approval to build a $62 million football stadium on campus in Boca Raton.

“We’ve been given the green light to go out and raise the money that’s going to be absolutely essential for us to build a stadium on our campus,” said the gravelly-voiced Schnellenberger before a group of potential donors to the program, all who had gathered at Indian River National Bank.

“It’s imperative because we have to continue our upward climb. We can’t hold back.”

The 73-year-old Schnellenberger has had a difficult week. On Sunday, his son, Stephen, who battled cancer throughout his life and was confined to a wheelchair, died at the age of 48.

After an emotional introduction by FAU president Frank Brogan, himself choked up and hesitant with the words, Schnellenberger addressed the small crowd who will help to bring the plans of FAU Stadium into reality.

“We’ve got to get into a conference that will allow us to play for a national championship,” said Schnellenberger, who spoke in front of a flat-screen TV that replayed the Owls’ 44-27 win over Memphis in last year’s New Orleans Bowl, making FAU the fastest team to reach a bowl, doing it in just three years of Division I play.

Schnellenberger has a track history of building programs.

In 1979, he took over a floundering University of Miami team that was jokingly referred to as Suntan U., then led them to a national championship in 1983 in a 31-30 win over Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.

He also helped rebuild Louisville’s team, which was considered an afterthought at the basketball-oriented school. He led them to 10-1-1 record and a 34-7 Fiesta Bowl rout of Alabama in 1991.

“The University of Kentucky went 70 years without beating Alabama. We did it in one season,” kidded Schnellenberger.

When he arrived, the Cardinals played games in a minor-league baseball stadium. Currently, plans are underway to expand Louisville’s stadium by 25,000 fans, holding almost 70,000.

“In order to (get into a new conference), we have to have a stadium that will help attract the next level of players that will come to carry us to the next level,” said Schnellenberger, whose Owls open at the University of Texas this year. “I love the Sun Belt Conference. Without it, we couldn’t play five Division I home games.

“(But) by the year 2012, we hope we have the opportunity to join a BCS conference like the Big East, ACC, or SEC. One of those three conferences may need a team or two teams. We have to be ready when that happens.”

“He’s not a team builder. Those are pretty common,” said Brogan, the fifth-year school president and Treasure Coast resident. “He’s a program builder. He leaves every program better than when he got there.”

Added athletic director Craig Angelos, who worked in the University of Miami’s athletic department during UM’s last football title: “The bowl win really helped us. We’re always going to contend with the Gators, Hurricanes and Seminoles, but there’s no university in Broward County and none in Palm Beach other than us.

“We hope to capture some of those fans from Orlando down to Broward County.”

Don't bet against them. I've just visited FAU and they are thinking Forward Ho as we speak rather than being asleep at the wheel as our admins doze away.

Thinking "Forward Ho" has brought down men much more powerful than old man Schnelly....

I picked up these 2 stories from "GoTroyTrojans.com" this morning.

FAU:

News article from TC Palm news, regarding a fund raising function

where coach Snelly states the ok has been passed to build a 30K, $62mil,

FB stadium on campus, plus, FAU's goal to be in the Big East, SEC and-

or ACC by 2012.

http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9821

FIU:

Picture of their new on campus stadium construction.

http://gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9826

I think FIU stadium also sucks, I sure hope we can do better with our architect than they did.

“He’s not a team builder. Those are pretty common,” said Brogan, the fifth-year school president and Treasure Coast resident. “He’s a program builder. He leaves every program better than when he got there.”

I don't think he left Oklahoma better than when he got there. Not sure about Louisville either. Didn't they go on probation right after Granpa Howie left?