Who Will Be The New Women's Bball Coach

UNTLifer

Here are some coaches that NT might look at Eastern Illinos Head Coach Brady Salle, Texas State Head Coach Suzanne Fox, Oral Roberts Assistant coach Misti Cussen, Tennessee Chattanooga Assistant Coach Ashley McElhiney, Baylor Assistant Coach Jennifer Roberts or Texas A&M Assistant Coach Kelly Bond.

Any of these coaches could take NT to the next level. Question is can the school afford them.

Edited by GreenBat

Larry Tidwell, Lamar University. I know nothing about Tidwell's past other than he was an assistant at TCU for a number of years. He's done a pretty remarkable job at Lamar during his first year as head coach. His record this season is decent, 17-12 (10-6 SLC), but prior to LU's 15-12 slate in '06/'06, the womens program had fallen way off. Tidwell seems to have them back on course. Maybe he wants to come back to the metroplex.

Edited by DeepGreen

I think if there is an area that only a woman should be considered, it's for a women's sport. I'm sure there have to be lots of qualified and successful female coaches available and I would like to limit our serch to a woman. I even think that we should look for female refs for the women's games.

Let the firing begin.

GO MEAN GREEN

I think if there is an area that only a woman should be considered, it's for a women's sport. I'm sure there have to be lots of qualified and successful female coaches available and I would like to limit our serch to a woman. I even think that we should look for female refs for the women's games.

Let the firing begin.

GO MEAN GREEN

Some of the greatest coaches in women's basketball history....have been men. (Leon Barmore---La. Tech; the coach at UConn--Gino Aurremia(?)).

Anyway, to answer your previous question Joey....Donna Capps is the former head coach at UTA. She took UTA to the NCAA tournament TWICE....before getting fed up with UTA. She's now an Athletic Director in the Mesquite ISD. She's not old, so I'm sure she still would like to coach. Anyway, anyone who can take UTA to the NCAAs...playing on that stage.....would probably do well with the Super Pit as a facility....

Larry Tidwell, Lamar University. I know nothing about Tidwell's past other than he was an assistant at TCU for a number of years. He's done a pretty remarkable job at Lamar during his first year as head coach. His record this season is decent, 17-12 (10-6 SLC), but prior to LU's 15-12 slate in '06/'06, the womens program had fallen way off. Tidwell seems to have them back on course. Maybe he wants to come back to the metroplex.

Larry Tidwell is from Sanger. Bring him back home.

I'm not current with women's coaches. Who is Donna Capps ? Where is she from or currently coaching ? Please name others and their current schools.

GO MEAN GREEN

Sorry, wasn't online this weekend. She resigned last year from UTA, came from the high school ranks where she was extremely successful. I don't know if college coaching is her thing, but I would make contact. Here's an article on her.

Donna Capps' article

I know this would be a huge huge stretch but what about approaching Nancy Leiberman-Cline for the job? I mean she is a very big face in womens basketball and I think she would be a great fit for the job considering she lives in the area. The only problem would possibly be her asking price would be to high, she wont have any interest in coaching and/or coaching college, and lastly she just may not be interested in the NT program. What do you guys think?

I know this would be a huge huge stretch but what about approaching Nancy Leiberman-Cline for the job? I mean she is a very big face in womens basketball and I think she would be a great fit for the job considering she lives in the area. The only problem would possibly be her asking price would be to high, she wont have any interest in coaching and/or coaching college, and lastly she just may not be interested in the NT program. What do you guys think?

How can that be? We can't compete financially with the schools that we want to be perceived as our peers? We have nearly 35,000 students, how can we possibly be constantly underfunded?

Oh, thats right. Nevermind.

She's a grade A bi$(#

Fort those who need to learn about Donna Capps - she a good one!

CAPPS RESIGNS AS WOMEN'S BASKETBALL COACH

Donna Capps returns to high school setting as an administrator with Mesquite ISD

April 9, 2007

UT Arlington announced Donna Capps has resigned as the head women's basketball coach to accept an administrative position with the Mesquite (Texas) Independent School District Monday.

Capps was named the 2007 Southland Conference Coach of the Year after leading the Mavs to their first outright conference title and to the team's second NCAA Tournament appearance in three seasons. The Mavericks' 24-9 record set a school and conference record for consecutive wins with 19.

"The opportunity to move into administration was something I could not pass up at this time," said Capps. "I appreciate all the support the community and fans of our program displayed over the past seven years. I think we have built a program the University can be proud of. "

Capps finished her seven-year collegiate career with a 119-89 (.572) record and was named the SLC Coach of the Year in 2002 and 2007. The 119 wins are the most by a head women's basketball coach in program history.

"We appreciate Donna's service and significant contributions to our intercollegiate athletics program and University," said UT Arlington Athletics Director, Pete Carlon. "I've known Donna as an outstanding coach and role model ever since we worked together 30 years ago in the high school setting. She has developed a great program that has produced terrific results. The program is regarded as one of the most well respected and highly successful women's basketball programs in the country and has set some high standards for us to maintain. We are certainly going to miss her and we wish her the best as she begins her career in an administrative role."

This season's 24-9 mark also set a school record for wins in a season. It caps off three consecutive 20-plus-win seasons at UT Arlington, including the program's first SLC Tournament title and NCAA Tournament appearance in 2004-05 with a 21-10 season. In between, the Mavs ended the 2005-06 season 20-9 and runner-up during the regular season. In 2003-04, Capps' team advanced to the SLC Tournament finals and finished the year 19-12.

Capps began her head-coaching career at North Mesquite High School where she was the head coach from 1978-90. She spent one season at Mabank before eight seasons at Crandall High School. In all, she won 510 high school games before joining UT Arlington in 2000.

A national search for a replacement will begin immediately, said Carlon.

- utamavs.com -

If you can get her, I would DEFINITELY recommend Donna Capps. Who knows?....maybe she misses coaching and would like to do it again without having to move far away.

I'd check the history of assistant coaches she might bring, however. Enough said.

Do you know the details around her resignation at UTA?

Do you know the details around her resignation at UTA?

Yes, but I'd rather not discuss it on an internet site; I've got nothing but good things to say about Donna Capps and the credit she was to the University. Also, 2 NCAA appearances pretty much speaks for itself.

I think Donna is a great person and great coach, and she would be a real catch for you guys.