Greatest Nfl Qb Of All Time

* still active

All apologizes to Sammy Baugh, Steve Young, Warren Moon among others , but this is my top 11

I think Brady will be the greatest win all is said and done , but for now I have to go with Joe Cool... I saw him win more superbowls than anyone else.

Edited by NT03

Im by no means a Cowboy fan...but I find it interesting that Troy Aikman wasn't even in your group you apologized to for leaving off...Don't know who you would drop from the top 11...but Aikman ought to be atleast in the conversation.

and Todd Marinovich

The Dodger of couse.

What he did for the Naval academy was incredible, winning the Hiesman in only his second year(Junior season) the last military player to do so, and then leading a win over Notre Dame that year that wouldn't happen again until this past season is amazing. But even more amazing was what he did after college. He was drafted by the Cowboys in '64 but wouldn't play another down for the next FIVE years, joining the Cowboys as a 27 year old rookie in '69. Then two years later would lead them to their first Super Bowl. What could have been had he been given those 5 seasons back? What would Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Terry Bradshaw or John Elway had been like had they sat out Five years between college and pro?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

It is obvious that there is an "age gap" on this board with so few votes for Johnny Unitas...most folks probably were not even born when Johnny was playing, but if you were around and old enough to "know" football at the time...Johnny U was GREAT! Y A Title wasn't bad either...nor Blanda...nor Len Dawson...but, I digress!

You couldn't go wrong with any name on the list! You pick 'em...they are all winners! And, some that aren't on the list too!

In my opinion any list that includes Terry Bradshaw, while excluding Troy Aikman is severely flawed. I'm by no means arguing that Troy is greatest if all time, but top 11??? Come on. Most accurate passer I've ever seen deep, short, and intermediate.

Where's Troy Aikman

I guess three super championships in four years doesnt amount to much.....

How soon we forget......

Oh that's right your a REDSKINS fan and Troy and his boys took ya'll into the corral a bit too much during the 90's. This poll is obselete

COWBOYS BABY

Team of the 70's and 90's.....

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Where's Troy Aikman

I guess three super championships in four years doesnt amount to much.....

How soon we forget......

Oh that's right your a REDSKINS fan and Troy and his boys took ya'll into the corral a bit too much during the 90's. This poll is obselete

COWBOYS BABY

Team of the 70's and 90's.....

This is a football town baby! If you don't like the Cowboys, you can GEEEEEEET out!

Sounds like it was a good birthday!

I would toss Bradshaw off the list.... He was very successful but Pittsburgh with their Steel Curtain defense (and Joe Green) gets most of the credit with me. He doesn't have great stats, just a lot of wins due to a lot of other team members. Early in his career he did very poorly. He is a flake, and not the best of leaders either.

Staubach, not the best skill-wise but when its come to a "never give up attitude" , no one was better. He was also a very smart player and great leader, great role model.

Aikman should be on the list, made good decisions, very accurate. Won a lot.

Unitas, the absolute best of his era and more like the modern QB than the others then. Might not stand out that much today.

Manning.. very smart, a leader, great role model, never quits and never blames others, unlike the rest except the earlier players he usually calls many of his plays. Wins a lot. He will eventually pass most of Favre's record if he stays healthy. No one has prepared any harder for games than he does.

Elway is greatly underestimated in my opinion. He was a lot like Staubach, never gave up... He went through two periods of high success.

Montana, he was good but when Steve Young took over, nothing changed..they still won... therefore he was not the reason they won.

Marino is the hardest one to judge in my opinion. He had great stats, was a good leader, but was not known much for comebacks or great seasons. He was a class guy and good role model... terrible in a situation when he needed to run... that meant defenses could load up on the pass and not expect him to make make first downs by running in tough situations ( one reason they could not win big games ) .... unlike Staubach or Elway and some others did. . .

Favre... Loved to watch him play, he was a "big-sixth grader" that played for fun... He had great stats , won a lot, and interesting guy.. one of the toughest QBs ever, not the best on the list.

Starr nice guy... on great teams, not an elite QB.

Otto Graham.. before my time, doubt that he would succeed well today.

Brady.... he wins a lot on Belicheat's team... ask me later... too soon for an opinion, he is good, but is he really that good.? How in the world did he lose this year to the Giants with the receiving corps he had.? He should have found a way to win that one with that much talent.. The previous year.. Peyton and team came from more than 2 TDs behind to defeat him.. Never has he won a Super Bowl by more than 7 points.

My favorite guy is Staubach.... my vote is Manning.....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Bradshaw. No, he wasn't a "stat machine" like Marino. But he had arm strength comparable to Namath, and scrambling ability comparable to Tarkenton (a little surprised those two aren't on the list, by the way). That team just dominated the 70's. While the defense gets a huge amount of the credit for that, they don't win 4 Super Bowls with another QB under center.

Bradshaw. No, he wasn't a "stat machine" like Marino. But he had arm strength comparable to Namath, and scrambling ability comparable to Tarkenton (a little surprised those two aren't on the list, by the way). That team just dominated the 70's. While the defense gets a huge amount of the credit for that, they don't win 4 Super Bowls with another QB under center.

---I was thinking the same about Tarkington (even thought about mentioning him) .. very determined, rather short, great scrambler, and known for doing what Favre often did... odd underhanded or sidearmed throws when under pressure from linemen. To me he is also very under-rated but in NFL Hall of Fame. Namath had one super year but not a lot else... he was beat up a lot and had bad knees. Joe-Willie was very good when healthy though. His fame comes from the one year he promised a win over an aging Unitas in the Super Bowl. He won and the AFL gained credibility and it caused the merger.

--Guess I am no Bradshaw fan partly because of what happened to Dallas... They first defeated Dallas when the TE (Jackie Smith) dropped the winning TD in the endzone (very easy catch, wide open, I might have caught that one) and won another after a rather bad defensive call against Dallas (Steelers had no penalities that day despite being one of the most penalized teams in the NFL that season). I still think Dallas should have won both of those. Oddly the Steeler had advanced past the Oilers with Earl Campbell in the AFC championship game to the Super Bowl on a very controversial sideline call that cost Houston a TD..

Montana, he was good but when Steve Young took over, nothing changed..they still won... therefore he was not the reason they won.

Tell that to Steve Deberg who captained the ship before Montana. Montana won his first super bowl in 1981 before Steve Young was even starting at BYU. If my math skills are up to par I believe Joe won 4 super bowls and Steve won 1. I also believe that Young and Montana met once in 93 or 94 and Montana's Chiefs beat Young's 49ers.

If you're going to pull out that argument, then Jimmy Johnson wasn't the reason the Cowboys owned the 90's (Barry won 1), and the Bulls still won games with Scottie Pippen instead of Michael Jordan(just not playoff games much like Steve Young).

Tell that to Steve Deberg who captained the ship before Montana. Montana won his first super bowl in 1981 before Steve Young was even starting at BYU. If my math skills are up to par I believe Joe won 4 super bowls and Steve won 1. I also believe that Young and Montana met once in 93 or 94 and Montana's Chiefs beat Young's 49ers.

If you're going to pull out that argument, then Jimmy Johnson wasn't the reason the Cowboys owned the 90's (Barry won 1), and the Bulls still won games with Scottie Pippen instead of Michael Jordan(just not playoff games much like Steve Young).

---Had forgottten about DeBerg.( not so good QB ) ... and I am not claiming Young was equal to Montana or even one of the best. I just stated that Young took some of the same players (including Rice,now older) and won a Super Bowl. The Niner's did not win just because they had Montana. Young had done rather poorly until he signed with the Niners but did well in SF with that team. In my opinion Montana is an elite QB but just not the best. I never thought he had the leadership or charisma that many of the others had... he had basicly dropped from sight after his career was over unlike most of the others are still involved in the NFL or in success businesses (Staubach, Elway).

---The Johnson/Switzer thing is completely different. Johnson "constructed" the team and Switzer just "collected" on the results of his work. Montana was on the field and his performance was replaced by another who also won. Young did not win just because Montana had once been there. Switzer won because of Johnson's efforts, Young didn't win because of Montana's efforts .

---The Johnson/Switzer thing is completely different. Johnson "constructed" the team and Switzer just "collected" on the results of his work. Montana was on the field and his performance was replaced by another who also won. Young did not win just because Montana had once been there. Switzer won because of Johnson's efforts, Young didn't win because of Montana's efforts .

Kind of like the Bill Parcells/Wade Phillips thing. Parcells built the team and Wade benefitted from Bills genius.

Guest GrayEagleOne

The quarterback with probably the highest rating was mentioned almost in passing....that would be Steve Young. I voted for Montana but Young was probably better. Both were the only two that I could fine with Pass Ratings in the 90s.

Of course, when you have Jerry Rice and John Taylor to throw to you've got a leg up on the competition.

Staubach wasn't far behind and his best receivers were Tony Hill and Drew Pearson. Good, but not great (comparatively speaking).

Edited by GrayEagleOne