Smu Qb & Safety

eulesseagle

The Justin Willis era at SMU is OVER. Too bad for him, he showed so much promise at Denton Ryan and as a college freshman. But I guess beating up gay people, fathering out of wedlock babies with girls he met at church and skipping study hall is more fun than being a Division IA quarterback. I was pretty disappointed Dickey failed to land this guy, atleast one good thing has come of Darrell being such a lazy recruiter. June Jones must have been looking for someone to make an example of and he had his perfect fall guy in Willis: an overhyped "star" with a bad attitude who didn't really fit into his system. There was a reason Jones signed 3 QBs in his first recruiting class.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

WOW...but, this sort of thing was going to happen with a new coach...probably saw a "gifted" athlete...but one of perhaps questionalble character who did not "fit" the system Jones wanted to employ...so, out the door...if Mr. Willis had been a model student and athlete, he may have gotten every chance to succeed at SMU, but when you "decide" to be a distraction, and make very questionable personal decisions...well....see ya!

WOW...but, this sort of thing was going to happen with a new coach...probably saw a "gifted" athlete...but one of perhaps questionalble character who did not "fit" the system Jones wanted to employ...so, out the door...if Mr. Willis had been a model student and athlete, he may have gotten every chance to succeed at SMU, but when you "decide" to be a distraction, and make very questionable personal decisions...well....see ya!

Seems that Jones saw a gifted QB that 1) may not fit his program 2) more than anything, was a punk on and off the field. He picked up 3 QBs (I think) and now maybe they know why. I think he did what had to be done and that says a lot about his character. I'll give Jones the benefit of the doubt and call it a good move. I don't know what JWills did, but if it's anything like what was mentioned above, he won't and shouldn't be back at SMU. That should certainly give Rice an edge!

Go Texas State!!

Sounds like my FIRST semester GPA. That sub 1 GPA took a long time to dig out of that hole.

--Good thing you weren't a student in mid 60's you have been gone and visiting the rice paddies of Viet-Nam a few weeks later. You had to pass a minimum 5 hours and have "so many grade points (9?) " or you could not re-enroll the next semester (skipped right over scholastic probation). The baby boom was hitting and they did not mind getting rid of folks because the classroom and housing situations were getting very crowded... We were all draft bait for several years and had to do decent or Uncle Sam would be giving us a call. After my first semester at UNT there were a lot of freshman leaving, they didn't believe profs would actually flunk them... they learned it the hard way. Finals were in January then and several came back to re-enroll the week after finals and after they picked up their grades they then went to their dorms and emptied their rooms instead.. There were three boxes on the bottom of grades sheets.

1. eligible to re-enroll...

.2- eligible to re-enroll but on probation......

and the dreaded 3rd box --- ineligible to re-enroll ....... ie. Good Morning Viet-Nam!

Colleges contacted the draft boards and stated they were no longer enrolled as students.

Having the draft in effect made a lot of guys better students....and kept them in college.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

What is the deal with players from Ryan or is it just the QBs. Certinly a lack of character showing up their.

Just QB's, those from the defensive side of the ball have done really well. Brian Smith and Jarvis Moss are both in the NFL and Derek Lokey will probably be drafted this year. Earl Goldsmith is a backup running back for Missouri and there are two defensive backs - one at UT and one at Arizona doing well.

--Good thing you weren't a student in mid 60's you have been gone and visiting the rice paddies of Viet-Nam a few weeks later. You had to pass a minimum 5 hours and have "so many grade points (9?) " or you could not re-enroll the next semester (skipped right over scholastic probation). The baby boom was hitting and they did not mind getting rid of folks because the classroom and housing situations were getting very crowded... We were all draft bait for several years and had to do decent or Uncle Sam would be giving us a call. After my first semester at UNT there were a lot of freshman leaving, they didn't believe profs would actually flunk them... they learned it the hard way. Finals were in January then and several came back to re-enroll the week after finals and after they picked up their grades they then went to their dorms and emptied their rooms instead.. There were three boxes on the bottom of grades sheets.

and the dreaded 3rd box --- ineligible to re-enroll ....... ie. Good Morning Viet-Nam!

Colleges contacted the draft boards and stated they were no longer enrolled as students.

Having the draft in effect made a lot of guys better students....and kept them in college.

That's really interesting.

Yep, those were the days. I even remember a TV drama (probably playhouse 90, because Hallmark Hall of fame wouldn't have done something so dramatic) produced during that time, and it was about that very subject. A college kid went to his college prof's house to discuss changing his failing grade. If the prof didn't change the grade, then the student would flunk out, get drafted, and the student was sure that he would end up dead in some rice paddy in Viet Nam. The Prof refused to change the grade and so the student pulled out a weapon and took him hostage.

I can't remember how the hostage situation ended, or even if the police were called. But the Prof was forced to view his decision to flunk or not flunk students in a much different light.

Different times.