Hoops Recruiting & Lsu Search Notes

MeanGreen61

A few hoops recruiting, LSU search notes

A few interesting tidbits came up today on the men’s basketball front while I was here in Lafayette for the UNT women’s game.

The first was a host of new names popped up on Rivals.com in connection with UNT recruiting. The most interesting of the bunch was James Cotton, a 6-8 power forward from Rise Academy. Cotton played in the National Prep Alliance National Invitation Tournament and caught the attention of Baylor and Marquette in addition to UNT. Cotton would fit UNT’s needs for another post player with the ability to get up and down the floor along the lines of Quincy Williams. The problem is Cotton still has some work to do to qualify academically.

UNT also appears to have made the Missouri junior college tour. Marquis Young, a 6-9 forward from Mineral Area CC; small forward Marcus Scott of Park Hills; shooting guard Chad Thompson of Moberly and point guard Barry Wellington of Mineral Area are all indicating interest in UNT.

I have also been meaning to mention that small forward Eric Trammiel of Paris JC, where Bill Foy coached before coming to UNT, is also on the Mean Green’s radar.

While we are on the topic of UNT basketball, there were a couple of interesting quotes from LSU athletic director Skip Bertman today in the Baton Rouge Advocate on the school’s search for a new head coach to replace John Brady.

“We need a unifier, someone who will be a part of the community,” Bertman told the Advocate. “There is a certain amount of intimacy involved in LSU athletics. Everyone knew Dale (Brown, former men’s basketball coach). Everyone knows (baseball coach) Paul Mainieri now. Everyone seems to have closeness with LSU. We need a basketball coach who can do that.”

Judging by my e-mail, I might be the only one who thinks UNT head coach Johnny Jones is going to be a serious candidate for this job. But is there a coach who knows LSU better and could pull the community together more quickly than Jones, a former LSU player, assistant coach and consensus first-class guy?

The other interesting tidbit in the Advocate is that the school will not use a search firm in the hiring process.

“We had names, information you could get from a search firm, say 10 guys, their salary range, what their buyouts are,’ Bertman told the Advocate. “We have all the information.”

Feel free to comment on the blog on who you would like to see UNT sign or your take on Jones and the LSU job.

JJ would have to get us to the tournament and win a game to get any type of consideration for the job. You can't go into the SEC and expect to recruit without at least a skin of some kind on the wall.

Agreed, though if we did manage to pull an upset in the NCAA's, I think he'd definitely be on the list.

I really think many of you are waaaaay underestimating JJ's popularity in Baton Rouge and their view on bringing him in. We love to refer to him as a ".500 Sun Belt coach" but LSU knows that, with the talent they could give him to work with in the SEC, he'd be in a whole different arena (no pun intended) than he is at North Texas. Lest we forget, their alumni actually show up to games and get into them.

I really think many of you are waaaaay underestimating JJ's popularity in Baton Rouge and their view on bringing him in. We love to refer to him as a ".500 Sun Belt coach" but LSU knows that, with the talent they could give him to work with in the SEC, he'd be in a whole different arena (no pun intended) than he is at North Texas. Lest we forget, their alumni actually show up to games and get into them.

Most of the LSU posters are interested in the VCU head coach.

“We need a unifier, someone who will be a part of the community,” Bertman told the Advocate. “There is a certain amount of intimacy involved in LSU athletics. Everyone knew Dale (Brown, former men’s basketball coach). Everyone knows (baseball coach) Paul Mainieri now. Everyone seems to have closeness with LSU. We need a basketball coach who can do that.”

Like Les Miles? Or is it that these toothless yokels just wanna win.

Agree. Its how much he improved the program. In this case from 5 wins a year to 20 wins, and competitive out of conference. LSU already has Bobo Morgan, so they need some shooters and a point. If he improves LSU that much, they are where they want to be.

This is from TIger Weekly (http://tigerweekly.com/article/02-13-2008/7585)

"So who will be LSU’s 21st men’s basketball head coach? At this point, it’s too early to say, but I’ll give a couple of names if for nothing more than conversation.

Tim Floyd – Obviously, the former UNO and New Orleans Hornets head coach has strong Louisiana ties. But will it be enough to lure him away from sunny So. Cal? With freshman O.J. Mayo surely to depart for millions after this season, it may make Floyd more likely to leave USC.

Anthony Grant – Grant’s currently the coach of Appalachian St. and one of the hottest head coaches in college hoops. When Florida coach Billy Donovan flirted with the NBA, the Gators were set to hand over the gig to Grant. However, will Grant spurn LSU in hopes of landing a higher profile coaching job?

Johnny Jones – Jones played for LSU from 1980-1984 and helped the Tigers make an appearance in the Final Four in 1981. He then served as an assistant from 1984-1997 under Dale Brown. Jones is currently the head man at North Texas and his strong LSU ties would certainly make him a logical hire."

Can any of our GoMeanGreen recruiting gurus get some info on these new potential recruits?

Heres what I could find without having to pay for a subscription to rivals or jucojunction.

James Cotton - 6'8" 200 - Rise Academy is a prep school like Tristan Thompson attended after his senior year...so Cotton will still have 4 years of eligibility. According to hoopscoops.com, Cotton is their 74th best "fifth year player." Also on the list is PG prospect Cardell McFarland at #29 and FIU signee Freddy Aspirrila at #56. The five players rated after Cotton (75-79) have all signed - UPENN, Fordham, High Point, Bucknell and Drake

Chad Thompson - 6'3" - Wasn't able to find much on Thompson...he went for 28 in Moberly's last regular season game, doubling up their second leading scorer...so it may be safe to assume he's their leading scorer. Moberly finished 15-16 on the season. 2 years of eligibility

Eric Trammiel - 6'7" 225 - Found even less on Tramiel past his build and that he has 2 years of eligibility remaining

The next 3 players all play at Mineral Area College...this is the same school from which JJ landed Curtis Muse and Johnathon Jackson.

Marquis Young - 6'9" 290 - Massive. Originally signed with Ole Miss after being named All State in Illinois out of H.S. Played 10 games in 2005-2006 for the Rebels, averaged 0.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg in 4.3 minutes of action (its unrealistic to do so...but if he played 30 minutes per game...those stats would be 4.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg) Went 2-7 from the field, 3-6 from the line in his Ole Miss career. Describes himself as funny, smart and LAZY (290 could turn into 330 quickly)...but his favorite athlete is Dirk...so I like him. 2 years of eligibility remaining

Barry Wellington - 6'0 170 - Desrcibed as a combo guard (think Dez Willingham). Finished the 2006-2007 season with 6.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.9 apg, 1.1 spg; shot 42.5% from 3 and a paltry 67.4% from the line. Has 2 years of eligibility remaining

Marcus Scott - 6'4" 220 - Signed with DII Lewis University out of H.S. Played at nationally ranked Provisio H.S. where he average 17.5 points per game. 2 years of eligibility remaining

Its not too detailed...but again Im cheap and wont buy rivals

Tim Floyd – Obviously, the former UNO and New Orleans Hornets head coach has strong Louisiana ties. But will it be enough to lure him away from sunny So. Cal? With freshman O.J. Mayo surely to depart for millions after this season, it may make Floyd more likely to leave USC.

This could be the ticket for LSU. You can take Tim Floyd out of 'Nawlins, but you can't take 'Nawlins out of Tim Floyd. I know LSU is in Baton Rouge, but it's all the same in that part of the South!

But what do I know.

Edited by DeepGreen