Mean Green Vs Ular

chrisfisher

Time for the post game show and JJ preaching about the tough loss and what a great team UALR. For once, I'd like to hear him go "Bobby Knight" on some of this and show some emotion. I know he got us to the tourney last year, but I still think his in-game coaching is poor. Too much talent on this team for us to be this inconsistent.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This team is just not very good with continued mediocre to bad front court play. For NT to have any tournament hope, Wooden is going to have to get in basketball shape and time is running out. Williams is a senior player who cannot seem to play without getting into early foul trouble. Nothing like getting beat by letting a walk-on have a Larry Byrd like night.

I've always liked JJ's post game show, he always thanks the fans for coming out, and he means it. I am also glad that he doesn't go Bobby Knight on the airwaves, he handles himself well and represents our school well at all times.

When I was still in school, and JJ was first hired, I didn't understand the way he held onto timeouts. As it turns out, I am very similar as a basketball coach, maybe not to his degree, because he has media timeouts, but I can see what he is doing now.

Edited by Coach

Maybe not "Bobby Knight," but at least show some disappointment or some sort of emotion. I, too, appreciate how he represents the university.

Regarding timeouts, I've never understood that strategy. I think you need to have a few late, but not at the expense of letting a team run away from you. I've listened to or watched JJ not call timeouts to stop a run, etc... and it is very frustrating.

I like the man, but just don't think he gets the most out of the talent he recruits.

I am very disappointed with tonight's loss.... but I am not giving up on this team... we just need to get hot going into the tourny... I really hope we do.....

Edited by chrisfisher

Bad loss. We've got to get healthy all around and also get the Wooden/Dennis scoring combo at full force to have a chance at matching last year's performance. We just don't have the three bigger guys defensively on the perimeter this year, and I'm starting to think that the only way that this can be overcome here down the stretch is to find the right combo to seriously outscore the opposition. I guess that the other option on the defensive side would be to give TT and McCoy a lot more PT. I would really love to have a chance at a bye from the West, but if Wooden isn't feeling right I say sit him until he does. Sure can't complain about Bell's numbers tonight. I hope JJ can figure this out PDQ because this is getting pretty serious.

Bad loss. We've got to get healthy all around and also get the Wooden/Dennis scoring combo at full force to have a chance at matching last year's performance. We just don't have the three bigger guys defensively on the perimeter this year, and I'm starting to think that the only way that this can be overcome here down the stretch is to find the right combo to seriously outscore the opposition. I guess that the other option on the defensive side would be to give TT and McCoy a lot more PT. I would really love to have a chance at a bye from the West, but if Wooden isn't feeling right I say sit him until he does. Sure can't complain about Bell's numbers tonight. I hope JJ can figure this out PDQ because this is getting pretty serious.

Wooden said that his goal is to be completely healthy come tourny time, but Coach Jones said that he doubts Wooden will be a 100% this season. Last season, Watson was 6'5" and Davis 6' 4" and of course Bell returns... This season, we are smaller on the perimeter... no doubt about that....But what do you do? White is smaller than any guard last year, but I can hardly agree that he is a defensive liability and we need his scoring... Bell needs to play due to his numerous vital roles including assist leader and senior leadership. That leave 1 spot in the guard rotation, which means pulling Dennis? McCoy is 6'4" and Thompson 6'5" so we do have th added size there that you suggest. McCoy has struggled mightily with his shot, so I'd say Thompson would be the man if anyone got more playing time.. And I really like Thompson's aggressiveness....but JJ said that Thompson lost his starting role for defense reasons.....And I am still hesitant to pull Dennis for numerous reasons.... this is a real conundrum.... I'm glad I am not Jones this season....

Edited by chrisfisher

Wooden said that his goal is to be completely healthy come tourny time, but Coach Jones said that he doubts Wooden will be a 100% this season. Last season, Watson was 6'5" and Davis 6' 4" and of course Bell returns... This season, we are smaller on the perimeter... no doubt about that....But what do you do? White is smaller than any guard last year, but I can hardly agree that he is a defensive liability and we need his scoring... Bell needs to play due to his numerous vital roles including assist leader and senior leadership. That leave 1 spot in the guard rotation, which means pulling Dennis? McCoy is 6'4" and Thompson 6'5" so we do have th added size there that you suggest. McCoy has struggled mightily with his shot, so I'd say Thompson would be the man if anyone got more playing time.. And I really like Thompson's aggressiveness....but JJ said that Thompson lost his starting role for defense reasons.....And I am still hesitant to pull Dennis for numerous reasons.... this is a real conundrum.... I'm glad I am not Jones this season....

Yeah, JJ may have some tough decisions to make as far as PT is concerned here down the stretch. Also, we can't forget about losing a couple of other 6'4"/6'5" very athletic defenders from last year's team in Young and Sturns. Sturns may have had some offensive liabilities last year especially when playing from the point, but he could be pretty effective at times in disrupting the opposition's rhythm. We have some nice firepower this year in Dennis and White, but I guess we'll just have to deal with being a bit smaller and less experienced on the perimeter than last year's team.