Rumblings Around Campus

nautique

I don't know this for sure but I would think my boy from Heights, will have his eyes on how the NCAA handles the deal with that dude from Michigan who transferred.

All those UNT QB's have to be in a very uncomfortable deal when the coaches son plays the position. Those dudes have to mind their p's and q's around Riley, they have to be careful what they say around Riley, etc. etc. It's not his talent that makes it challenging, its competing with that very same person who is the head coaches son.

Competing with a coach's son has to be a very difficult to do so mentally. I don't play ball any more but if I did, that would be a situation I would not want to have hanging all over my mind.

Can you imagine the political correctness that all those QB's have to take regarding the so call Super Man ? I know Gio will do and say everything that is politically correct but you have to wonder. But if he decides to leave, UNT is in a good situation and so will Gio, so it could be a winning situation for both players in the long run.

Can't really know for sure. Maybe we're over-analyzing this and all is good between everyone?

I don't consider Gio "my boy", but Dodge seems pretty good about separating his roles as coach and dad when he's on/off the field. My hope is that the players see that too.

Clement (the current starter from Rice) is a good friend of Gio's. They worked out together in high school. Rice and Clement wanted Gio to go to Rice last season and red shirt while Clement finishes his career and have Gio back him up.

Pure speculation, if Gio goes anywhere, I bet Clement and Coach Bailiff might have something to do with that.

I think if you look at the depth chart it, the red shirts and the current recruiting class, you can speculate which position will have some attrition. WR's, QB's and we have some tweeners (borderline DB's and LB's). Next season UNT will be extremely deep at WR and DB.

Losing folks its just a reality of college football.

I don't know this for sure but I would think my boy from Heights, will have his eyes on how the NCAA handles the deal with that dude from Michigan who transferred.

I'm confused. Haven't you said in the past that Gio is a warrior, a true competitor, one who would just as soon settle things behind the woodshed as on the field. That he is fearless. Yet the above statement alludes to him cutting and running to play somewhere else. Makes no sense to me. The kid I saw on the field didn't seem to be the type that would jump ship.

I'm confused. Haven't you said in the past that Gio is a warrior, a true competitor, one who would just as soon settle things behind the woodshed as on the field. That he is fearless. Yet the above statement alludes to him cutting and running to play somewhere else. Makes no sense to me. The kid I saw on the field didn't seem to be the type that would jump ship.

Well, Bigntex did say that was "pure speculation". I just can't see Vizza going to rice, to sit out a year, at a school with no real winning football tradition, to get a chance to play 3 years after his friend leaves depending on who the coach is at the time and who else is recruited at QB. Of course Rice has a good academic reputation, but I don't see Vizza as someone who runs from competition. As for Todd Dodge favoring his son over someone else, only because he's Dodges's son, I don't see it. Dodge, as far as I can tell, wants to win. If playing Vizza increases the chances to win, I say Vizza will play. If someone else provides a better chance of winning, that someone else will play.

Dodge did not start Riley at QB at SLC until his junior season. Chase Daniel was the starting QB Riley's freshman year and Greg McElroy handled the job when Riley was a sophomore. Todd Dodge will play the best player. Considering all factors, it makes sense that Riley would redshirt this season. In 2009, we could be looking at a two-headed quarterback like Florida used with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. That seemed to work out well.

Dodge did not start Riley at QB at SLC until his junior season. Chase Daniel was the starting QB Riley's freshman year and Greg McElroy handled the job when Riley was a sophomore. Todd Dodge will play the best player. Considering all factors, it makes sense that Riley would redshirt this season. In 2009, we could be looking at a two-headed quarterback like Florida used with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. That seemed to work out well.

great point....Dodge will play whoever is best. He wants to win MORE than anyone on this board!

But while we are at it, I heard Lewis Fields and Wayne Walker were coming back.

Edited by RETSO

Just my personal opinion. I would like to see Riley protected this season, i.e., redshirted while he rehabs his shoulder and gets back to 100%. If he HAS to see the field, I would like to see him there as a receiver and backup QB. That would work best for this program because Vizza is a great talent...as is Riley. Any strategy that maximizes the years those two combine to lead the team is good for the program.

Just my personal opinion. I would like to see Riley protected this season, i.e., redshirted while he rehabs his shoulder and gets back to 100%. If he HAS to see the field, I would like to see him there as a receiver and backup QB. That would work best for this program because Vizza is a great talent...as is Riley. Any strategy that maximizes the years those two combine to lead the team is good for the program.

I think this will be the scenario: Dodge is there as the backup or speedy RB/WR after he redshirts and heals up. He may even split games with Vizza, but we keep Vizza as our #1 guy.

All those UNT QB's have to be in a very uncomfortable deal when the coaches son plays the position. Those dudes have to mind their p's and q's around Riley, they have to be careful what they say around Riley, etc. etc. It's not his talent that makes it challenging, its competing with that very same person who is the head coaches son.

Competing with a coach's son has to be a very difficult to do so mentally. I don't play ball any more but if I did, that would be a situation I would not want to have hanging all over my mind.

Can you imagine the political correctness that all those QB's have to take regarding the so call Super Man ? I know Gio will do and say everything that is politically correct but you have to wonder. But if he decides to leave, UNT is in a good situation and so will Gio, so it could be a winning situation for both players in the long run.

As another mentioned, this doesn't sound like the warrior, bring em' all on type of player you've been touting. Besides, you comparison is apples to oranges. Mallet didn't start last year, a new coach arrived and a system will be installed that doesn't fit his abilities.

Vizza started, had success as a true freshman in a system that obviously fits his skill set and has the potential to set every career passing record at UNT. I love Vizza and believe he will start the next three years.

Vizza started, had success as a true freshman in a system that obviously fits his skill set and has the potential to set every career passing record at UNT. I love Vizza and believe he will start the next three years.

In addition Vizza has a stronger arm, is taller, was aware of the possibility of Riley Dodge coming to NT, and beat out a 2 year starter who had a record breaking passing game this year (at SMU).

You can not compare Vizza's situation to that of Mallett. Mallett left the program after a new coach was hired, no new coach here. He left asap, not after he got done with spring. And add in to the mix that there is no way that the NCAA is going to let Mallett play this year. And on top of all that Vizza is not going to leave the program.

A lot of what if's, but if you step back and look at it some more, UNT is now really deep at WR. Also we now have three kickers. But the area I speculate on is those guys that are too slow to play DB and not big enough for LB. No speed at the D-1 level makes a "tweener" possibly look at moving down to AA or D-2 ball.

The only player UNT cannot afford to lose is Casey Fitz. After that, every position is up for grabs. I don't believe any high profile guys leave now, its too late and the coaches would no by now, you would think.

Edited by Dodge2007