Dragons Get Some Space

GreenBat

Dragons get some space

Southlake Carroll has always held its Signing Day ceremonies in the library, but it was moved this year to the auditorium. Several were happy about this switch, which provided less congestion for parents and other family members in attendance. Some news from this morning's signings:

*Seven football players signed. Those included wide receiver Ethan Cunningham (William Jewell), offensive lineman Sam Schwartzstein (Stanford), offensive lineman Jake Jackson (Baylor), offensive lineman Nick Leppo (UNT), quarterback Riley Dodge (UNT), wide receiver Blake Cantu (Oregon) and running back Tre' Newton (Texas).

*Talked to head coach Hal Wasson, who confirmed they found their final non-district game. It's a stunner: Galena Park North Shore. It was added on Monday, he said. The Dragons will play at home this fall, then travel down there next year.

*Tre' Newton wasn't in attendance. He's enrolled early down at the University of Texas. "I talked to him Tuesday," Riley Dodge said. "He likes it, but says it's really hard."

*Talked to Nick Leppo's mom, who said he's progressing on his recovery from a knee injury suffered before last season. Leppo had surgery in November, and is already building up his upper body. He's benching 280 pounds.

-Trae Thompson

More from the Recruiting Blog

Weird experience

Derek Tomlin could've been up on the stage with his teammates this morning, but his playing days are over. The Southlake Carroll linebacker originally committed to UNT, but decommitted and instead is just going to attend Texas A&M as a student. "It was a little different," Tomlin said of watching his teammates sign. "This was weird." Tomlin, who plans to study math, said he didn't change his mind instantly, and that there was a bunch of factors he weighed in his decision. When asked if he thought he'd get the itch to play again, Tomlin didn't hesitate. "I know I will,'' he said. "I've been playing since the first grade. You can't just stop." Tomlin said he's looking forward to College Station, but that excitement was tempered today. "Not so much today," he said. "It's bittersweet." -Trae Thompson