Illegal Funding For Boss Hogg Bowl?

WFAA just did a story on the Arlington-Cowboys Complex deal. Here are some points from the story:

The $325 million in funds from Arlington taxpayers, after interest, actuall comes to over an estimated $600 million.

The city of Arlington will also help impose a 10% "ticket tax" and a $3 "parking tax". Why? To help Jerry Jones pay for his half of the costs. :unsure:

Good deal for Arlington? They are paying both sides of the cost.

There's more... With seat licensing and stadium naming (estimated to be upwards of $1 Billion), Jerry Jones stands to rake in close to $2 billion before a single ticket is sold.

WFAA just did a story on the Arlington-Cowboys Complex deal. Here are some points from the story:

The $325 million in funds from Arlington taxpayers, after interest, actuall comes to over an estimated $600 million.

The city of Arlington will also help impose a 10% "ticket tax" and a $3 "parking tax". Why? To help Jerry Jones pay for his half of the costs. :unsure:

Good deal for Arlington? They are paying both sides of the cost.

There's more... With seat licensing and stadium naming (estimated to be upwards of $1 Billion), Jerry Jones stands to rake in close to $2 billion before a single ticket is sold.

Man, is that even really legal? I know it's pretty questionable. But then, the entire complex and the ticket price structure are questionable at least.

The working Joes and taxpayers and business travelers in Arlington will pay for this stadium and 90% won't be able to afford to see a game on the inside.

I wish we could find out exactly how much Jerry Jones is personally putting up out of his own pocket.

Edited by UNTflyer

--- This is why everyone should vote... The people we elect and in this case it must have been the City Council and perhaps a bond election (I don't live in Arlington) created this situation. Dallas did not think they could afford this stadium but smaller Arlington thought they could.

--- Some one earlier commented that politics doesn't matter and implied people who mentioned political issuses were fools. ... really... elected officials are the ones that set the taxes and make many decisions that effect our lives..... and if you have a job based on tax money... such teachers and city personel such as police and firemen... political issues and who is elected matter a great deal.

Suggest that everyone read, listen, and then vote.

--- This is why everyone should vote... The people we elect and in this case it must have been the City Council and perhaps a bond election (I don't live in Arlington) created this situation. Dallas did not think they could afford this stadium but smaller Arlington thought they could.

I thought Arlington voted to build the stadium and that it didn't have to do with the city council.

I thought Arlington voted to build the stadium and that it didn't have to do with the city council.

---Who did you think put it on the ballot up for a vote??? The City Council does. then the voters approve or disapprove of it. Somehow they "sold" it to the voters that it was a great deal for them and they approved it. This is why voters need to read, listen asnd become informed.

---On the presidental scene we have candidates that want to abolish the IRS.... Sounds great ..right.?? Just how are we going to finance our government operations, military and other things. Some want a national sales tax. This really put the tax burden on those who spend every cent they make because prices will greatly increase with the tax added..... meanwhile those who make "millions every year and do not spend all their income will suddenly have a fortune of earning that is completely untouched by taxation. Who benefits out of this deal..?? The poor and middle class gets hit hard and those who make millions per year escape with less tax because a lot of what they earn is completely tax free. ie. the rich get richer and the poor and middle class can afford even less. Think about what you read and vote accordingly... maybe that is what you want... I don't.

---On another level since those who spend everything they earn are paying more for things--- they will be forced to purchase less and that hurts the economy even more. We went to college for several reasons--- to get informed, to learn to think, and to learn skills to earn a living. The latest budget suggested by the president is $3.1 Trillion.... that is about $10,000 per year for every man woman and child... and will increase the national debt even worse that it is. Do you seriously think the government can collect that kind of money from sales tax???? --Think--

True there was no IRS during the 1800's.. and no paved roads, poor hospitals, not much public education, few colleges, a very small military (invasion was next to impossible from anyone because of the slowness fo travel) plus very little government services such as food inspection or a center for disease control... We could do that again if you want to live in a third world country.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I applaud the taxpayers of the City of Arlington. The Glory Park Development around the stadium is truely amazing and will be talked about all across America. The stadium has already brought a Super Bowl to Arlington, the Big XII Championship, the Cotton Bowl and soon the Final Four will be announced.

It will transform part of the City of Arlington and along with the Rangers Ballpark, and Six Flags one of America's top entertainment distinations. Dallas played chicken and lost. Mayor Cluck and the Council need to be applauded for their daring and visionary work.

ParksAndRecRick

---I have an odd question..... Doesn't the NFL black out local games that are not sell outs??....

---If that is the case once the new stadium opens there will have to be alot more people attending in order to fill this new one up.

---Doesn't this mean that there are likely going to be a lot of Cowboy games blacked out in the metroplex???

---Just thinking... and asking...it will not effect me, I am in the middle of West Texas... Also the new taxes the Arlington citizens are paying doesn't effect me either.. I fact I own one of the bonds issued to build it. So I guess I can claim I own part of the stadium (a very small part). Thanks Arlington.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I don't think that they black out all games that aren't sell outs.

Yes, they do.

In the NFL, any broadcaster that has a signal that hits any area within a 75-mile (120 km) radius of an NFL stadium may only broadcast a game if that game is a road game, or if the game sells-out 72 hours or more before the start time for the game.

Back in the dark days of the Falcons (Glanville/early Jones in the early and mid 90's) there were many near-blackouts, and (if I recall accurately) a few that actually didn't get to air because of that rule.

It wasn't that many years ago (post Jimmy I think) that a number of Cowboys games were almost blacked out and someone like AT&T stepped in and bought the remaining tickets to save the day.

It wasn't that many years ago (post Jimmy I think) that a number of Cowboys games were almost blacked out and someone like AT&T stepped in and bought the remaining tickets to save the day.

Yeah and some of the Grocery stores did also, it probably helped Weekend sales.