Gasol Sent To Lakers

Perfect example of just how far the Mavs are off from a title - everyone else goes out and makes moves to help themselves, while the Mavs sit around and twiddle their thumbs.

What would you have them do?

Not being a smart ass, but outside of a big trade for Maggette or Brand, not much can be done this season. If they fail spectacularly again in the playoffs, a lot of trade options probably open up in the offseason.

What would you have them do?

Not being a smart ass, but outside of a big trade for Maggette or Brand, not much can be done this season. If they fail spectacularly again in the playoffs, a lot of trade options probably open up in the offseason.

Well I thought they might try and go out and get a "go to" guy each of the last two exits from the playoffs. Then this year they come up in trade talks with Kidd and decide they don't want to make a move. There have been some players out there that I thought would benefit the team, but management just seems pretty content on what they have.

Guest JohnDenver

Perfect example of just how far the Mavs are off from a title - everyone else goes out and makes moves to help themselves, while the Mavs sit around and twiddle their thumbs.

You, sir, are crazy.

Kidd? You want to trade a young, up and comer in Harris, for a geriatric Kidd? That is crazy talk.

A "go to" guy? You know how many seasons the Bulls had together before they won a single championship? 4? They go their butts whipped in Detriot an awful lot. The whole blow up the team mentality is something I don't understand.. We have a really nice team.

I assume you think Kobe Bryant is the ultimate 'go to' guy.

"These stats represent how the team performed in clutch situations while the player was on the floor.

The Net48 number shows the average +/- net points over a full game."

Let's look at his "clutch stats" compared to Dirk.

*They are nearly identical in points

*Dirk gets to the line more often

*Dirk has less turnovers, double the "hands stat" of Kobe.

*Dirk has more assist and more blocks

*Kobe has a winning +7% edge..

Dirk

Kobe

Give me Dirk any day of the week.

Pretty sad that you can say the Mavs are a LONG way off from a title, when they are one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the league.

Realistically, there aren't any upgrades the Mavs can do without giving up one of their core guys. Though I think the Mavs have a legitimate shot to win a title this year things like drafting Nick Fazekas and Maurice Ager in drafts really makes me go crazy. Although I must say that I think Ager needs more minues...I have seen him play pretty well at times. Just think we could have had Genn "Big Baby" Davis in our team who will at the very least be a great role player with size and inside presence but no....inside we opt out for Nick Fazekas.

Really my only hope and wish is for Mark Cuban to take up on Skin's genus idea of getting Shaq in here. All Cuban needs to do is dish out the money which is the big question. I think If it were to happen then I think Dallas getting 1 or 2 rings isn't out of the possibility.

Kidd? You want to trade a young, up and comer in Harris, for a geriatric Kidd? That is crazy talk.

I erased everything I agreed with...people who think Dirk isn't clutch really need to have their heads examined. As for Kidd...I think the window in the West is horribly small for the Mavericks to get a ring or two with this core. Devin is certainly a talented prospect...but one who has been stuck on potential for the past 3 seasons...in part due to Avery's micro-managing him...but I digress. Kidd will be out of New Jersey this season...and he's going to the West. His addition to the Mavericks would make them exponentially better for the next 2 season...which may be as long as you have Dirk truely in his prime. If the cost is Devin to get a borderline hall of fame point guard...one who can match up with the bigger points (Baron Davis, Deron Williams) pull the trigger on this deal...there are other Devin Harris's in the 08, 09, 10 drafts. And if you don't make this move...JKidd will end up with LA or Golden State...making it even more difficult to navigate the playoffs.

Pretty sad that you can say the Mavs are a LONG way off from a title, when they are one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the league.

We will see when they go to the playoffs. I have sure been wrong in the past, and won't have a problems admitting I am wrong on this if these Mavs prove me wrong, but I haven't seen anything from them to prove to me that they will be able to make it in the playoffs. Besides, I am done taking into consideration the regular season with this Mavs team. Playoffs are a whole different ballgame in the NBA.

I erased everything I agreed with...people who think Dirk isn't clutch really need to have their heads examined. As for Kidd...I think the window in the West is horribly small for the Mavericks to get a ring or two with this core. Devin is certainly a talented prospect...but one who has been stuck on potential for the past 3 seasons...in part due to Avery's micro-managing him...but I digress. Kidd will be out of New Jersey this season...and he's going to the West. His addition to the Mavericks would make them exponentially better for the next 2 season...which may be as long as you have Dirk truely in his prime. If the cost is Devin to get a borderline hall of fame point guard...one who can match up with the bigger points (Baron Davis, Deron Williams) pull the trigger on this deal...there are other Devin Harris's in the 08, 09, 10 drafts. And if you don't make this move...JKidd will end up with LA or Golden State...making it even more difficult to navigate the playoffs.

They don't even need to give up Harris for Kidd from some of the rumors. If you can make it happen with other guys, you have the big guard to handle the Baron Davis and Deron Williams types of the world and then then the quick guard to score on the Spurs and Suns.

Of course, none of it matters if Josh Howard continues to jack up 20 foot jumpers every other posession.

Guest JohnDenver

They don't even need to give up Harris for Kidd from some of the rumors. If you can make it happen with other guys, you have the big guard to handle the Baron Davis and Deron Williams types of the world and then then the quick guard to score on the Spurs and Suns.

Of course, none of it matters if Josh Howard continues to jack up 20 foot jumpers every other posession.

However, the types of trades not involving Harris DO include Diop. There is no way we make it anywhere close to the top of the West without two semi-viable centers. Ju Howard is not going to cut it...

However, the types of trades not involving Harris DO include Diop. There is no way we make it anywhere close to the top of the West without two semi-viable centers. Ju Howard is not going to cut it...

Bass? Dirk?

Bass would be big enough for stretches at the five against the running teams...and as much as I've been opposed to it in the past, Dirk does create match up problems when he's out there at the five.

Also, since the trade would free up a roster spot...you can always find another 6'8" - 6'10" guy to round out the bench.

If Kidd can be had without moving Harris...wow...Kidd has made a spare like Marcus Williams into a servicable point...imagine how he could help someone with some actual talent