Unt Vs Usa

UNTflyer

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeSSSS! Nice win and nice game from the two big H's (Hogans and Howerton). I was hoping that this three game home stretch could give us some confidence going into a month before the tourney, and I hope that turns out to be true. Missing 3 out of 4 Frees at the end didn't help much, but at least we pulled it out against a very good team.

I think that was one of our best defensive efforts in the second half all year.... and recall that our starting bigs sat a fair amount of this time due to foul trouble.... believe it or not, Hogans and Howerton played a big part of that...Hogans is a mad man... I love it... he gets these pissed off looks if someone even touches "his basketball."

Edited by chrisfisher

DENTON, Texas – South Alabama nearly overcame a season high for turnovers and a season-low shooting performance, but a last-second shot for the win fell short in a 70-68 loss at North Texas Thursday night. The defeat snapped a 13-game winning streak for the Jaguars, one shy of the school record and the third-longest in the nation at the time. Demetric Bennett scored a game-high 22 points to lead South Alabama (17-4, 9-1), but his three-point attempt from 24-feet hit the front of the rim as the horn sounded. Brandon Davis posted a double-double of 16 points and 11 rebounds, while Daon Merritt added 16 points and four assists. The Jaguars shot 38.3 percent overall and had 19 turnover, but stayed in the game by nailing 26 of 30 free throws.

Connin Dennis led North Texas (13-7, 4-5) with 21 points, while Josh White added 18. Dennis made four-of-nine three-point attempts and hit seven of eight free throws to help the Mean Green snap a three-game losing streak.

Bennett had pulled the Jaguars within one, 68-68 on a three-pointer with 55 seconds remaining and had the chance at the win when Quincy Williams made only one of two free throws with 31 seconds left.

North Texas used nine straight points to open a 47-41 lead with 14:21 remaining , but South scored six in a row to close to within one with 13:38 left. The teams battled through five ties and six lead changes in the final 10 minutes until Collin's two free throws put UNT up 64-63 at the 3:16 mark. White followed with a jumper with 2:44 left, but Bennett answered with two free throws to make the score 66-65 with 2:35 left.

Collin seemed to put the game away with 1:37 left with a three-pointer, but Bennett answered with his in the final minute.

Ironically, a strong shooting first-half helped the Jaguars build a 36-30 lead, despite being within two turnovers of their per-game average (12 vs. 13.9). The Jags hist 52.4 percent from the field and held a 21-11 rebounding margin, while limiting UNT to 42.3 percent shooting.

After falling behind 7-4, USA engineered a 23-10 run that included 11 straight points to build a double-digit lead, 27-17, with 5:10 remaining in the period. North Texas closed back to within four twice, but Bennett and Tilford each knocked down a pair of free throws to push the lead back to eight, 36-28.

A layup in the closing second left the margin at six when the teams headed to intermission. Bennett finished with 12 in the period, while Merritt tallied 10.

"In other games this season, we came up with big stops late in the game," Head Coach Ronnie Arrow said. "Their outside guys came out in the second half and hit some shots. The biggest thing was the turnovers and us not running our offense, but they had a lot to do with those."

South Alabama looks to rebound on Saturday with another road game, this at defending Sun Belt Conference West Division champion Louisiana-Monroe. The 3 p.m. game will be televised live on ESPN2.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned... the referees... was it me, or did they call an extremely tight game....we are so revved up in the Pit Crew that every call is a bad call, except those against the opponent, in our eyes...... I can't say it was bad officiating, though I didn't like many calls... admittedly, there was often contact when they called a foul, but it was very ticky-tack kind of stuff... and they called it on both teams... these were the kind of fouls you can call on every single possession for each team... And it appeared that the officials got stuck in a loop where they thought, I called a ticky tack foul on USA, now UNT needs one, and now that I called a ticky tack on UNT, USA needs one.... you get my drift. Any comments about the officiating from folks that watched it on TV or listen to the game?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned... the referees... was it me, or did they call an extremely tight game....we are so revved up in the Pit Crew that every call is a bad call, except those against the opponent, in our eyes...... I can't say it was bad officiating, though I didn't like many calls... admittedly, there was often contact when they called a foul, but it was very ticky-tack kind of stuff... and they called it on both teams... these were the kind of fouls you can call on every single possession for each team... And it appeared that the officials got stuck in a loop where they thought, I called a ticky tack foul on USA, now UNT needs one, and now that I called a ticky tack on UNT, USA needs one.... you get my drift. Any comments about the officiating from folks that watched it on TV or listen to the game?

Any comments? I am very interested to here other opinions about this.....

Edited by chrisfisher

Any comments? I am very interested to here other opinions about this.....

I couldn't believe some of the calls I saw! The refs were completely whistle happy. They made some bad calls that went our way too but not near as many as what you saw fall against us. It seemed like JJ new them pretty well too. I am floor level and he kept calling them by their first names. I guess that may not be that unusual. The Sun Belt monitors had to hate to see this game called the way it was. Man I wish I could see their reports, I've heard some of the stuff they say. They definitely won't have good things to say about these guys!!!