Vito Blog (thursday) About B-ball Recruiting

SUMG

(I'm not trying to doubt Brett, but I have a hard time believing that Colby Ray was ever on a b-ball scholarship. With his grandad (or whatever Bobby Ray is in relation to him)....he might have been on some kind of scholarship, but I don't think it was a b-ball one. For one thing, we had 13 guys on scholarship anyway. Anyway, here's Vito's blog:

There was a good question posted on the blog today about the number of scholarships the UNT men's basketball team will have to give for its 2008 class.

The NCAA limit for basketball scholarships at Division I schools is 13. UNT is using all 13 this season, although Arizona State transfer George Odufuwa, who is sitting out as a redshirt, is one of the 13 players on scholarship. In an interesting side note, Colby Ray was on a basketball scholarship, but came off the books in a shuffling of scholarships to open up a spot. Ray is now officially a student assistant coach.

Anyway, UNT has four seniors -- Ben Bell, Keith Wooden, Dez Willingham, and Quincy Williams. Head coach Johnny Jones has already filled one of the four spots that will come open after this season by signing Arlington Grace Prep center Ben Knox during the early period.

That leaves UNT with three scholarships. This is my guess of how UNT would like its class to look:

1. Arlington Grace Prep center Ben Knox, a 6-10 project UNT hopes will put on a ton of weight and turn into productive inside player along the lines of Wooden or Williams. This one looks like a bit of a risk.

2. Arlington Oakridge guard Chris Babb, a 6-5 guard who would be a monster in the Sun Belt. TCU has offered Babb, but has already signed two small forwards and has a commitment from a shooting guard for its 2008 class. Baylor has yet to offer, but is interested. Just a guess here, but UNT might get a boost in its pursuit of Babb if Freddie Riley, a shooting guard who is ranked 150th nationally, commits to Baylor. The Bears are favored to land the Ocala, Fla., Vanguard standout. Baylor has yet to pick up a shooting guard for 2008, but did land one in its 2007 class. If Baylor lands Riley, it could back off Babb, leaving UNT as the only Texas school on his list other than TCU. At that point, the Mean Green could sell Babb on being the hometown school that made him its No. 1 target. UNT has also offered Dallas Kimball guard Darian Thibodeaux, who wouldn't be a bad second choice.

3. Another point guard, UNT will lose the under appreciated Bell after this season. Josh White is already starting alongside Bell at the point and will be there for another three years, but UNT will need another ball-handler. Willingham can play the point, but is a senior on his way out. Collin Dennis can also play the point, but UNT will need him at the shooting guard spot, where he can score. UNT has been in contact with Cardell McFarland of North Bridgton Academy in Maine.

4. A junior college frontcourt player, One of the reasons UNT was so successful last season and has been on a tear lately this year is no one in the Sun Belt can match up with Wooden and Williams, not to mention all the other 6-7 to 6-10 athletes UNT brings off the bench. UNT will have Odufuwa ready to step in next year and Hogans is developing nicely, but the Mean Green needs an insurance policy. Odufuwa, Hogans, 6-10 senior center Justin Howerton and 6-8 senior forward Harold Stewart will be UNT's only veteran frontcourt players next year. Even with Knox in the bag, UNT would be about one injury away from being dangerously thin up front next year. Jones and his staff have found productive junior college big men in the past and could use another one for next season.

That's my guess as to the mix of players UNT would like to have in its next recruiting class. Feel free to post your comments on the blog or better yet, post your dream class for UNT in 2008.

Edited by SUMG

Hey buddy...the credit goes to Brett Vito, who mentioned him in the blog today. I had never heard of him until then.

Man, your avatar has taken a dive lately and really gone to the dogs. (Poor humor), but please bring back the blonde.

Man, your avatar has taken a dive lately and really gone to the dogs. (Poor humor), but please bring back the blonde.

I was on a flight to Vegas from Houston several months back and the plane had to go back to the gate for some odd reason. A lady that looked just like her freaked out and wanted off the plane. We had a little inside joke about "Throw momma from the plane". Haha ... you know instead of Throw momma from the train? Anyways, lame, but I thought it was funny enough at the time, then again I was in first class and we were sucking down jack and cokes as fast as the attendant would bring them. :)

Hey buddy...the credit goes to Brett Vito, who mentioned him in the blog today. I had never heard of him until then.

He's been out there on Rivals for some time. (Even before the early signing period in November). Anyway, the list of who showed interest and/or still interested.

Point guard Stars RR Ht/Wt Rank Schools

Cardell McFarland

North Bridgton (ME) Bridgton Academy

- 6-2/170 - list

Xavier Roberson

Lufkin (TX) Lufkin

- 6-2/175 - list

Shooting guard Stars RR Ht/Wt Rank Schools

Spencer Collins

Mesquite (TX) Poteet

- 6-2/160 - list

Demarius Jones

Dallas (TX) Pinkston

- 6-3/175 - South Alabama

Toure Murry

Houston (TX) Klein Forest

- 6-3/160 - Wichita St.

Patrick Richard

Lafayette (LA) Carencro

- 6-4/190 - McNeese St.

Jay Smith

Athens (TX) Trinity Valley C.C.

- 6-2/170 - Eastern Illinois

Darian Thibodeaux

Dallas (TX) Kimball

- 6-3/- - list

Small forward Stars RR Ht/Wt Rank Schools

Austin Brown

Lewisville (TX) Lewisville

- 6-3/185 - list

Chris Busch

Oakland (CA) Merritt C.C.

- 6-6/220 - list

Joseph Fulce

Tyler (TX) Tyler J.C.

- 6-7/180 - Marquette

Ray Holliday

College Station (TX) A&M Consolidated

- 6-6/190 - list

Courtney Jackson

Paris (TX) Paris

- 6-6/200 - Arkansas-LR

Power forward Stars RR Ht/Wt Rank Schools

Antuan Bootle

Houston (TX) St Thomas Episcopal

- 6-7/255 - Sam Houston St.

Kyle Cannon

Pasadena (TX) San Jacinto C.C.

- 6-8/230 - Oklahoma

Horace Dixon

Lufkin (TX) Angelina C.C.

- 6-8/215 - list

Lester Ferguson

Fort Smith (AR) Arkansas-Fort Smith J.C.

- 6-10/- - Louisiana-Laf.

Andre Jackson

Dallas (TX) Pinkston

- 6-9/265 - Southern Miss.

Ben Knox

Arlington (TX) Grace Prep

- 6-10/215 - North Texas

Justin Ramsey

Decatur (GA) Georgia Perimeter C.C.,

- 6-9/275 - list

James Watson

Atoka (OK) Stringtown

- 6-8/185 - Washington St.

Note:

Xavier Roberson (PG) transferred to Houston Yates soon after school started. His transfer has help Yates become the #1 4A team in Texas. (and most talented 4A)

Edited by Cooley