Young Team

Buford_Julep

No one thinks of North Texas as being a young team. Eight of the eleven Mean Green scholarship players are upperclassmen, and also, young team is usually just a code word for a losing team.

But if you look at the composition of a team in terms of minutes played instead of just counting bodies, North Texas is a young team. Last night true freshman accounted for 68 of the 200 minutes played. That is 34%. Last night was not a fluke. Even with Josh missing two games and Tristan missing one, true freshman have played 28.3% of the total minutes for the season.

Seniors account for 45% of the playing time, and we are a long way from having them replaced for next season.

More and more it looks like Odufuwa with Hogans/Stewart, with relief from Howerton and Knox. Of course, we still will sign some recruits so this my change.

More and more it looks like Odufuwa with Hogans/Stewart, with relief from Howerton and Knox. Of course, we still will sign some recruits so this my change.

Throw a JC 4/5 (preferably a sophomore) into that mix and I'll feel a lot better about our frontcourt. Odufuwa isn't big enough to play the 5 on a regular basis...and Howerton hasn't showed the ability to be on the floor for extended minutes.

Seniors we are losing this year are Bell, Williams, Wooden and Willingham. I'm not so worried about Bell as I think White should be able to adequately take over. Williams and Wooden are a big loss. In watching the team this year, I belive we have to recruit replacements to match the quality of their minutes... Am I wrong, do we have someone on the bench who could be as good or better than Q or Keith next season?

Seniors we are losing this year are Bell, Williams, Wooden and Willingham. I'm not so worried about Bell as I think White should be able to adequately take over. Williams and Wooden are a big loss. In watching the team this year, I belive we have to recruit replacements to match the quality of their minutes... Am I wrong, do we have someone on the bench who could be as good or better than Q or Keith next season?

Odufuwa is a highly regarded big man recruit... he is listed as 6'8" and I think JJ will count on him big time to take over the Wooden's post position next season.... Call me crazy but I think Hogans (6' 7") may have the talent to replace Q as our power forward. More than likely though, we will have a smaller starting line up in the post next season (1" shorter for center [vs. Wooden] and 1" shorter for power forward [vs. Quincy]), though we will have two 6'10" back ups (Howerten and Knox) plus Stewart at 6'8"... and of course, any other new recruits. I have a gut feeling that Stewart may start in Quincy's position instead of Hogans since Stewie is a senior....

Edited by chrisfisher

we will be losing one guy who is 6-9 245 and another who is 6-8 230. Hogans looks like a good recruit but is nowhere close to having those stats. ULL believes it has hit the mother lode with its Nov signees, some of whom are every bit as big as Wooden. And ULL will have all those great looking sophomores back (academics permitting).

Not that all is bleak, Buford is right in complimenting our freshmen, and may I add our junior JCs. We have more good shooters than at any time in UNT history, and i am really enjoying that.

we will be losing one guy who is 6-9 245 and another who is 6-8 230. Hogans looks like a good recruit but is nowhere close to having those stats. ULL believes it has hit the mother lode with its Nov signees, some of whom are every bit as big as Wooden. And ULL will have all those great looking sophomores back (academics permitting).

Not that all is bleak, Buford is right in complimenting our freshmen, and may I add our junior JCs. We have more good shooters than at any time in UNT history, and i am really enjoying that.

Keith will be the hardest to replace...but keep in mind that Odufuwa is 6'8" 240LB... only one inch shorter with an equivalent weight as Wooden.... Quincy is listed at 6'8" 215LB and Hogans is listed as 6'7" 195LB. If Hogans could put on a little weight, he could be a decent replacement for Quincy, but obviously not Wooden. Of course, this is all total speculation and I am only analyzing what is known and who we have right now... a few new quality recruits/transfers could change all of this in a hurry.

Keith will be the hardest to replace...but keep in mind that Odufuwa is 6'8" 240LB... only one inch shorter with an equivalent weight as Wooden.... Quincy is listed at 6'8" 215LB and Hogans is listed as 6'7" 195LB. If Hogans could put on a little weight, he could be a decent replacement for Quincy, but obviously not Wooden. Of course, this is all total speculation and I am only analyzing what is known and who we have right now... a few new quality recruits/transfers could change all of this in a hurry.

I dont think meangreensports has updated Quincy's weight since he was a freshman, and even then I thought 215 was light. He's atleast 230. And if you think Keith actually weighs 245, then you think Rosie O'Donnell is a svelt 125.

I stated previously that I was really impressed with Hogans and thought if he could get up to about 220 he'd be a very servicable 4, but not next season as a starter, not at 195 and not if your 5 is Odufuwa...that front court is just too small, even for the SBC, which has some quality big men coming in next season(FIU's Freddy Aspirilla, ULL's Jeremy Barr, UALR's Johnathon Uchendu and UNO's Jacolby Pittman), as well as some talented underclassmen returning (FAU's Carlos Monroe, FIU's Russell Hicks and WKU's D.J. Magley)...all of whom are 6'8" - 7'0", 230+. A frontline rotation of Odufuwa, Hogans and Stewart would get hammered and our frontcourt would go from clear strength to clear liability.

I dont think meangreensports has updated Quincy's weight since he was a freshman, and even then I thought 215 was light. He's atleast 230. And if you think Keith actually weighs 245, then you think Rosie O'Donnell is a svelt 125.

I stated previously that I was really impressed with Hogans and thought if he could get up to about 220 he'd be a very servicable 4, but not next season as a starter, not at 195 and not if your 5 is Odufuwa...that front court is just too small, even for the SBC, which has some quality big men coming in next season(FIU's Freddy Aspirilla, ULL's Jeremy Barr, UALR's Johnathon Uchendu and UNO's Jacolby Pittman), as well as some talented underclassmen returning (FAU's Carlos Monroe, FIU's Russell Hicks and WKU's D.J. Magley)...all of whom are 6'8" - 7'0", 230+. A frontline rotation of Odufuwa, Hogans and Stewart would get hammered and our frontcourt would go from clear strength to clear liability.

Good points CBL... this should make for a very interesting recruiting season...