Nelson Barnes

buff64

I like Nelson Barnes and have tried to keep up with his career. He played at North Texas for Hayden Fry and coached here under Corky Nelson. Corky let him go from the NT staff. He surfaced at Kansas State with Bill Snyder then went to Texas - I think with John Macovick. He got a Big XII conference championship ring there. He then went to Nebraska under Tom Osborne . He said it was the best experience of his life. The new Nebraska coach let him go after a couple of years. He still had a contract and still got paid by Nebraska. He then coached at a small school program. I THINK it was in North Dakota. He then signed on as one of the defensive coaches at Oklahoma State. I am saddened by the news that he has been let go there, too. I think he is a good man and have always believed he was a good line coach. I do not see a slot for him at North Texas at this time unless Dodge shuffles some coaching duties. I would sure welcome him back, though.