Larry Mac Duff Will Be Nt's Next Dc

SouthBendGreen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayEagleOne

I hope I'm wrong about DeLoach but I see it as a serious salary reduction for Gary if he came here. I just think that Neuheusel, after being away from the college ranks for a few years, will evaluate the UCLA staff and decide to keep DeLoach. I don't know the salary structure for sure but I'd guess that GD would make about twice as much as a position coach for the Bruins than he could make as an DC here.

MacDuff is out of work (but I don't know about being out of offers) and might be more willing to make a decent salary than none at all. My biggest concern would be...are we getting the Larry MacDuff who created the 'Desert Storm' defense or are we getting someone who is now on the decline?

Yep, I'd also take DeLoach first because he's been here and done it before. MacDuff could be an even better hire but I'm not as confident of what we're getting. But, as they say, it's a cinch that it's going to be an improvement.

I hope I'm wrong about DeLoach but I see it as a serious salary reduction for Gary if he came here. I just think that Neuheusel, after being away from the college ranks for a few years, will evaluate the UCLA staff and decide to keep DeLoach. I don't know the salary structure for sure but I'd guess that GD would make about twice as much as a position coach for the Bruins than he could make as an DC here.

MacDuff is out of work (but I don't know about being out of offers) and might be more willing to make a decent salary than none at all. My biggest concern would be...are we getting the Larry MacDuff who created the 'Desert Storm' defense or are we getting someone who is now on the decline?

Yep, I'd also take DeLoach first because he's been here and done it before. MacDuff could be an even better hire but I'm not as confident of what we're getting. But, as they say, it's a cinch that it's going to be an improvement.

I can't see DeLoach's cut in pay being more than McDuff's? DeLoach was an assistant, McDuff was co-coordinator. Plus it's a hell of a lot more expensive to live there in California than it is in Texas. Plus, being that he coached for so long in Texas DeLoach couldn't be that far away from making his state retirement pension here, just a guess?

Rick

---Odd thought, this would be a coach with NFL coaching experience on a staff headed by a coach who was coaching in a Texas High school last year... Do you think this will work.??? If he got crossways with an experienced college coach with a National Championship, Mack Brown, how will this work??

---Just wondering!!

---Odd thought, this would be a coach with NFL coaching experience on a staff headed by a coach who was coaching in a Texas High school last year... Do you think this will work.??? If he got crossways with an experienced college coach with a National Championship, Mack Brown, how will this work??

---Just wondering!!

I was wondering that same thing all day today. I could only imagine the headbutting that would go on with a difference of opinion. Could it be a Buddy Ryan/Kevin Gilbride relationship in the making?

I was wondering that same thing all day today. I could only imagine the headbutting that would go on with a difference of opinion. Could it be a Buddy Ryan/Kevin Gilbride relationship in the making?

After reading the UT forums I get the impression that Mack would not let MacDuff do what MacDuff thought was best. I guess it really depends if Dodge feels he can trust MacDuff.

After reading the UT forums I get the impression that Mack would not let MacDuff do what MacDuff thought was best. I guess it really depends if Dodge feels he can trust MacDuff.

Lets see, Coach Dodge let Mendoza do what he thought was best. So I have a feeling that he will let anyone he hires as a DC, do what he thinks is best as well.......especially if that DC has any sort of college skins on the wall.

Plus, keep in mind that Dodge has already demonstrated that he will fire anyone that is not getting the job done......even a long time friend.

Then again, Mendoza set new standards for "not getting the job done", so the standards for improvement couldn't be that high.

Which brings up another question to consider in this thread.

What standards of performance would any of you set for the new DC if you were Coach Dodge.

If it were me, I would take the stats of Coach Bliel's last defense and say "this is my expectation for the first year".

Guest 97and03

He is resigning sighting philosophical differences. Which I'm taking to mean this: I had been hearing rumblings all year about how UT was playing there more veteran LB's and not there younger standout LB's. I'm taking it as MacDuff wanted to play the younger guys but Mack favored the vets. Mack being the coach won out. This would be a HUGE pick up for NT if it happened. A coach with NFL, and major D-1 experience, founder of the Desert Swarm in Arizona.

This is exactly what my Texas-ex friend complained about all year. We discussed this at length and it was evident that he was correct when we went to the game in Stillwater. The young LBs were pretty damn good, but the veterans were still starting despite the fact that they were not performing. If McDuff was on the losing side of this argument, then that explains the philosophical differences. It also says that he is still on his game and ready to coach at a high level.

Let's get him!

I guess it is time to start picking a cool nickname for our new dominating defense.

If Larry Mac Duff is the hire, we'll win the Sun Belt title in 2008. Hear me now, believe me later. Hiring him would be a steal.

As far as his one year stint with the Longhorns, Texas had the same problem in 2008 as it did in 2007 - secondary. That's Akina's domain. Mac Duff is a linebacker coach, always has been. He played the hybird DE/OLB in the old Okie-52 defense as a collegiate player. He made a name for himself in special teams as well as with Arizona in the early 1990s cordinating their stellar defenses.

Again, if we get this guy at any price, it's a steal. It would be bigger news than us hiring a high school coach to lead the program. Mac Duff knows more about defense than Todd Dodge will ever forget.

Please, let this be the hire...

...although, alas...I fear it's just wishful-thinking and rumor-mongering.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I suggest we call the new defense "The Othello's" ...named that way because opposing coaches would be screaming "Lay off, Mac Duff, we've had enough!".

Classic post!!!!

Good job EagleMBA

If Larry Mac Duff is the hire, we'll win the Sun Belt title in 2008. Hear me now, believe me later. Hiring him would be a steal.

As far as his one year stint with the Longhorns, Texas had the same problem in 2008 as it did in 2007 - secondary. That's Akina's domain. Mac Duff is a linebacker coach, always has been. He played the hybird DE/OLB in the old Okie-52 defense as a collegiate player. He made a name for himself in special teams as well as with Arizona in the early 1990s cordinating their stellar defenses.

Again, if we get this guy at any price, it's a steal. It would be bigger news than us hiring a high school coach to lead the program. Mac Duff knows more about defense than Todd Dodge will ever forget.

Please, let this be the hire...

...although, alas...I fear it's just wishful-thinking and rumor-mongering.

not sure about macduff as much of a fan favorite. friend of a friend said at a ut football camp he was the least impressive and least friendly coach. take it for what it is but i will lean towards us getting deloach.

---Just wondering!!

This is a great point and another reason not to piss in the chili....hire DeLoach if possible.

This is a great point and another reason not to piss in the chili....hire DeLoach if possible.

Just about anyone hired for DC is going to have more years and experience in college football than Dodge and a few most likely will have Pro experience. Many will be older than Dodge too. I see all of this as a moot point. Your boss is your boss. You deal with it. I think Larry MacDuff is 57(?) how old is Villareal - his ultimate boss. If the dudes ego is so big he can't "handle" taking orders from a second year NCAA head football coach he most likely wouldn't have lasted this long.

BTW - I think I may have stumbled on to an important point. Dodge is a second year College Head Football Coach. He's not a high school football coach any longer.

not sure about macduff as much of a fan favorite. friend of a friend said at a ut football camp he was the least impressive and least friendly coach. take it for what it is but i will lean towards us getting deloach.

Least friendly? Fan favorite? Would anyone be complaining about Coach Mendoza's personality or confrontations with fans if UNT's defense had been solid and up to expectations? Mendoza is not leaving because he wasn't nice, he's leaving because his defense was terrible. Indiana put up with Bobby Knight and the fans loved him - as long as he was winning. This is no different, and if MacDuff can coach and recruit and give us a great defense then he will be a fan favorite.

Maybe MacDuff is a gamble, but this is exactly the kind of gamble a program like UNT should take. Just like the risk Arkansas is taking with a head coach who might leave next year, and just like the gamble UNT took in hiring a high school coach with no collegiate head-coaching experience - the potential reward is worth the risk.

Play it safe and UNT will stay be mediocre. If UNT is to achieve what we hope it can achieve, then risks must be taken.

Friend of a friend said ? :ph34r:

yes. i did not go to that camp and my friend did not attend the camp but his other friend did and that is what he reported. i do not know the coach but it is an impression another person had of him. sorry if it was not what you wanted to hear. make up your own friends opinion to refute it if you want.