June Jones Has 72 Hours Says Smu

Harry

Haha... I love ultimatums. That is the fastest way to get eliminated from a relationship. I guess SMU is ready to back to the last candidate.

Good luck Ponies... I really do hope they find someone soon. If all else fails, I have a word for both SMU and Coach Fran..

N...E...G...O...T...I...A...T...E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GMG!!!

June Jones would be CRAZY to take the SMU job...if it was even offered at all! They will need to pick up a re-tread or some young assistant or something...SMU is a grave yard for coaches, and I don't ssee it getting much better in the near future. It will take a complete 180 for SMU to start really supporting their program. They have a nice stadium, a good academic centered school and they sit in the middle of a great recruiting area, and still they can't get it going. PB was a great guy, and, all in all, a very good coach...and look what it got him...where is he now????

So, just what in the heck is in it for June Jones? If he does leave Hawaii...he could certaily do better than SMU...that "ain't" hard!

Although it's true that Jones would be crazy to take the SMU job, he was crazy to take the Hawaii job. He walked into a system that could only be described as a disaster and turned it around. Sure, Hawaii still has huge obstacles, played a so-so schedule, and got walloped last night. But people in every other program that didn't get a BCS invitation and were watching from sports bars or their living rooms would have given anything to be in their place on that stage.

The real question is whether Jones would be willing to take on another rehab job, which SMU would certainly be, although with a bigger budget and paycheck; or whether he is looking to cash in his well-earned chips for a job that would have a shorter punch list. Nobody can know that but Jones himself.

Personally, unlike some who are convinced that a competent SMU would spell doom for UNT, I'd love to see Jones or someone of his quality take the SMU job. Competition is good for everybody.

Well, one of the reasons our defense went to hell was the departure of several defensive coaches. And we also got robbed of some O-line coaches too. So I would say that makes it a stepping stone.

That is, if a "stepping stone" means "on your way to" OC at Utah State, or a self-employed recruiting advising service based out of your old Denton home.

Edited by greenminer

Actually, this is a great deal for Jones and SMU. He has cache with getting Hawaii into the Sugar Bowl, something no one would have believed possible just two years ago. SMU is a rich school that sits in the middle of a ton of football talent. Did anybody hear the Sugar Bowl announcers talk about how little money Hawaii spends on the football program? This is Jones' chance to cash in on his UH success. SMU's last two hires were uninspiring. Cavan? No way. Bennett busted. Tom Rossley was better than both of them. I think this is a go.

Edited by Varsity

Is it just me or does June Jones act EXACTLY like DD did on the sidelines? Same attitude, same facial expressions, etc... it was like watching DD out there. Playing for June Jones looks like it would be a complete bore. He has no fire in him.

You mean like this guy?

Dull Sidelines Guy

Edited by Green to the Bone

Orsini got some waiver so that he could recruit personally. I don't know if that was to hold on to their three or four that they already have or if is was to actively seek out new ones - but he was granted some waiver by the NCAA to recruit for his school while they looked for a new coach.

Guys, we all know money talks.

During the break, my dad asked why the Houston coach would go to Baylor. I asked him, "If someone offered you $900k a year and another guy offered you $1.8 million go to their school, where would you go?"

It's really pretty simple. SMU says they're throwing upward of $10 million at the vacant head coaching job. I'm no CPA, but that sounds like a pretty good chunk of change.

Guys, we all know money talks.

During the break, my dad asked why the Houston coach would go to Baylor. I asked him, "If someone offered you $900k a year and another guy offered you $1.8 million go to their school, where would you go?"

It's really pretty simple. SMU says they're throwing upward of $10 million at the vacant head coaching job. I'm no CPA, but that sounds like a pretty good chunk of change.

SMU's coach budget is in line with other programs that are hiring right now. Most major college hires this season have been in the range of $1.25 million to $1.8 million a year. So there's nothing outstanding about SMU's numbers. Thus, for a quality coach who might have multiple opportunities, money alone wouldn't dictate the move. It would be more about opportunities, support, prestige, personal likes and dislikes, etc.

SMU's coach budget is in line with other programs that are hiring right now. Most major college hires this season have been in the range of $1.25 million to $1.8 million a year. So there's nothing outstanding about SMU's numbers. Thus, for a quality coach who might have multiple opportunities, money alone wouldn't dictate the move. It would be more about opportunities, support, prestige, personal likes and dislikes, etc.

Well, the only two options open on the DI-A coaching front now are West Virginia and SMU. Both pay more than Hawaii...and Jones' name hasn't been bandied about in WV. So.... I won't be shocked if Jones leaves the island and opens a fat account at one of the dozens upon dozens of banks in the HP/UP area.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Well, the only two options open on the DI-A coaching front now are West Virginia and SMU. Both pay more than Hawaii...and Jones' name hasn't been bandied about in WV. So.... I won't be shocked if Jones leaves the island and opens a fat account at one of the dozens upon dozens of banks in the HP/UP area.

Your point is well taken. WVU hired interim Bill Stewart as the permanent HC about an hour ago, so SMU is the only major vacancy. However, I just don't think money is the single, overriding factor in such decisions. It still depends on Jones' personal desires. Does he wait one more season at Hawaii to get something he really wants, or does he take an NFL job?

West Virginia hiring Stewart after big Fiesta win

West Virginia interim coach Bill Stewart was named the school's full-time head coach Thursday morning.

The announcement came just hours after he led the Mountaineers to a 48-28 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma.

"He obtained this position the old fashioned way -- he earned it," said WVU athletic director Ed Pastilong, who made the announcement at the team hotel in Scottsdale, Ariz. "Billy led us to our biggest football victory in the school's history against Oklahoma and he, his coaching staff and his support staff are outstanding Mountaineers, leading us through a tough time. MORE