Vito Blog

Cooley

"Ben Knox of Arlington Grace Prep. At 6-10, Knox could be a power in the Sun Belt, but a high school coach familiar with Grace Prep said Knox would be a project and might need a year or two to develop into an impact player at the college level."

he is either a power or a project. very insightful reporting.

"Ben Knox of Arlington Grace Prep. At 6-10, Knox could be a power in the Sun Belt, but a high school coach familiar with Grace Prep said Knox would be a project and might need a year or two to develop into an impact player at the college level."

he is either a power or a project. very insightful reporting.

Well...since this is a Mean Green bias blog I think you need to look closer...I've italicized the key words.

I am not going to second guess JJ on Knox with all the great recruiting he has done lately...I have to admit though I am a little concerned with our post presence for next season.... I hope JJ has some surprises in store for 2008 recruits.

I am not going to second guess JJ on Knox with all the great recruiting he has done lately...I have to admit though I am a little concerned with our post presence for next season.... I hope JJ has some surprises in store for 2008 recruits.

I agree entirely...I just look at what we've done in terms of developing post players under JJ and Quincy Williams is the poster boy for success...a great rebounder and defender but limited elsewhere.

Now if he rounds out this class with Chris Babb, Myles Walker and Troy Alexander decided he wants to stay close to home rather than go to Santa Clara...life is grand.

I agree entirely...I just look at what we've done in terms of developing post players under JJ and Quincy Williams is the poster boy for success...a great rebounder and defender but limited elsewhere.

I wish we could "develop" our inside players so they are not always in foul trouble.

So what if the guy is a project, he is tall enough that we ought to take a shot at him.

I think you take a project when you are already covered in the post. We are not! We are going to have to settle for our 4's playing 5. Besides, this kid was signed early. Why?

---Most "projects" need to go to a JC and get playing time and learn how to play against some quality competition.... then go to a D-I college...if they are good enough.. Most of these prep school guys are not competing with very good competition either and look better than what they really are... We have one of them at MC who looked great at a private HS but rarely sees the court at the JC level.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I'm sure that's what some were saying with Howerton....

That made me laugh.

I've seen 7 footers sit on the bench their entire career because they can't play at the speed college demands. There's something to be said about being in "game shape."

I'd rather see a 6-10 kid with big shoulders/elbows to throw around and out-muscle those rebounds.

Odufawa (sp), Stewart, Hogans, Howerton, and Knox doesn't sound too bad for next year on the inside, but we could definitely use a big JC transfer for defense and boards next year. Odufawa will hopefully be ready to make a nice contribution right off the bat as far as inside scoring is concerned, but we certainly need someone to come in and replace all of the things that Quincy does out there on the court. Preferably 6' 10" or better.

Odufawa (sp), Stewart, Hogans, Howerton, and Knox

Ummm...if this is our frontcourt rotation next season we are in big trouble (ha...theres a pun I didn't even intend!). Stewart and Hogans aren't big enough for starting minutes at the 4...Howerton has shown at best mediocre improvement in his time here and I don't have expectations that he's going to turn a corner anytime soon...and Knox is considered a project and probably won't contribute much next season.

I would love for us to find a freshman like Myles Walker (6'9" 250) or Antuan Bootle (6'7" 245)...but more than likely I think we'll have to go the JUCO route to find someone who will be able to contribute immediatly...maybe a Michael DeGrate type with 2 more inches and 20 more pounds.

Ummm...if this is our frontcourt rotation next season we are in big trouble (ha...theres a pun I didn't even intend!). Stewart and Hogans aren't big enough for starting minutes at the 4...Howerton has shown at best mediocre improvement in his time here and I don't have expectations that he's going to turn a corner anytime soon...and Knox is considered a project and probably won't contribute much next season.

I would love for us to find a freshman like Myles Walker (6'9" 250) or Antuan Bootle (6'7" 245)...but more than likely I think we'll have to go the JUCO route to find someone who will be able to contribute immediatly...maybe a Michael DeGrate type with 2 more inches and 20 more pounds.

I agree that we need to go the JC route to find a big for next year. Stewart has shown at times to be pretty tough down low but he's obviously more than a little on the thin side at power forward. I'm expecting our guard rotation to be pretty special by next year so it would be a shame not to get some more talent down low. Just a big, bad, bruiser would be better than nothing.