Win A Prize On Me!

Cooley

Select the winners (and consolation) of the Coca-Cola, (Dallas ISD) Whataburger (Ft Worth) & Sandra Meadow (Girls - Duncanville) HS tournaments and win a UNT gift of your choice on me. Entries are due no later than mid-night December 26th.

In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken by selecting the winners of the 64 team NCAA men's 2008 basketball field

http://www.dallasisd.org/athletics/boys_bb_bracket.pdf

http://www.rwhitehurst2.com/

57th annual Sandra Meadows Varsity Basketball Tournament

First-round match-ups, Thursday Dec. 27

At Sandra Meadows Memorial Arena

J.J. Pearce vs. Duncanville, 9 a.m.

Mesquite Horn vs. Houston Bellaire, 10:30 a.m.

Mesquite vs. Frisco, noon

Plano East vs. Clear Creek, 1:30 p.m.

Euless Trinity vs. China Springs, 3 p.m.

Fayetteville, Ark., vs. Frisco Liberty, 4:30 p.m.

At Red Gym

Coppell vs. Rowlett, 9 a.m.

Seton Keogh, Md., vs. Duncanville JV, 10:30 a.m.

Dallas Bishop Lynch vs. Waxahachie, noon

Houston Westside vs. Dallas Ursuline, 1:30 p.m.

Fort Bend Willowridge vs. Naaman Forest, 3 p.m.

At Blue Gym

Allen vs. Ouachita Parrish, La., 9 a.m.

Thurgood Marshall vs. Colleyville Heritage, 10:30 a.m.

Flower Mound vs. Denton Ryan, noon

Plano West vs. John Paul II, 1:30 p.m.

Austin Bowie vs. Amarillo Palo Duro, 3 p.m.

Merry Christmas!

Dallas Coca-Cola to be a Recruiter's Paradise

December 23, 2007

Rob Harman

Few tournaments anywhere in the country can boast the number of highly-ranked, highly-recruited players that will take the court for the 68th annual Dallas ISD / Coca-Cola Basketball Tournament, set to tip off Thursday, Dec. 27 at four Dallas gyms.

Seven of TexasHoops.com's Top 20 Seniors will be in the field, including top-ranked J'Mison Morgan, South Oak Cliff's 6-11 post who has committed verbally to LSU. Nineteen of the Top 100 Seniors will compete.

"There should be a lot of scouts here," said Goree Johnson, assistant athletic director for the DISD. "We get that every year and I've had a lot of calls again this year." Top-ranked Duncanville, the tournament's defending champion, has opted to travel to Myrtle Beach, S.C., for the Beach Ball Classic, opening it up for teams like Plano East, ranked 15th in Class 5A, as well as Class 4A powerhouses Highland Park (ranked fifth), Lincoln (seventh), SOC (eighth), Kimball (14th) and Pinkston (20th).

Kimball's star backcourt duo of David Kyles and Cotton Giles, both ranked in the top 15 seniors, and Plano East's Anthony Hill, Kevin Smith, Quincy Diggs and Jonathan West, all four in the Top 100, show the depth of the field.

Many top-ranked underclassmen – including juniors North Dallas' Reger Dowell (seventh-ranked), Carter's Jarred Shaw (14th), Wilson's Jonathan Sharpless (21st) and North Dallas' Desean Miles (27th) – will also display their talents during the three-day 32-team event. Longview and El Paso Eastwood are the only two teams in the 32-team field from outside the Dallas area.

The tournament begins at 9 a.m. Thursday (Dec. 27) at Sprague, Loos, Davis and Forrester Field Houses. The event will conclude at 7:30 p.m. Saturday (Dec. 29) at Davis Field House.

Participants from TexasHoops.com's Top 100 Seniors:

Rank, Name, School, Ht. (College)

1, J'Mison Morgan, South Oak Cliff, 6-11 (LSU)

4, Quincy Acy, Mesquite Horn, 6-8

9, David Kyles, Kimball, 6-3 (Wichita State)

14, Cotton Giles, Kimball, 6-3 (Nevada)

15, Zack Williams, Skyline, 6-4 (SFA)

18, Damaruis "Shug" Jones, Pinkston, 6-2 (So. Alabama)

19, Troy Alexander, Highland Park, 6-1 (Santa Clara)

24, John Bowman, Mesquite Horn, 6-4 (Texas State)

28, Anthony Hill, Plano East, 6-0 (Rice)

44, Kevin Smith Plano East, 6-5

46, Gerayl Sanders, Lincoln, 6-4

55, Mike Webb, Kimball, 6-6

56, Darian Thibodeaux, Kimball, 6-2

82, Matthew Edwards, Highland Park, 6-2

86, Quincy Diggs, Plano East, 6-5

90, Bonner McDermott, Highland Park, 6-7

91, Andre Jackson, Pinkston, 6-8 (Southern Mississippi)

93, DaJon McKnight, Skyline 6-4

100, Jonathan West, Plano East, 6-6 (Army)

68th annual Dallas ISD / Coca-Cola Basketball Tournament

At Sprague Field House

Seagoville vs. Lancaster, 9 a.m.

Kimball vs. Longview, 10:30 a.m.

Jefferson vs. Smith, noon

Pinkston vs. DeSoto, 1:30 p.m.

At Loos Field House

W.T. White vs. Hillcrest, 9 a.m.

Richardson Berkner vs. Highland Park, 10:30 a.m.

North Dallas vs. Richardson, noon

Spruce vs. Richardson Pearce, 1:30 p.m.

At Davis Field House

Adamson vs. Molina, 9 a.m.

South Oak Cliff vs. Rockwall, 10:30 a.m.

Carter vs. Mesquite Horn, noon

Samuell vs. Roosevelt, 1:30 p.m.

At Forester Field House

Madison vs. Sunset, 9 a.m.

Skyline vs. Lincoln, 10:30 a.m.

Woodrow Wilson vs. Bryan Adams, noon

Eastwood vs. Plano East, 1:30 p.m.

This should be easy.

Sandra Meadows...Champ: Duncanville...Consolation: Garland Naaman Forest

Dallas Coca-Cola...Champ: DeSoto.........Consolation: Dallas Carter

Whataburger........Champ: FW Dunbar....Consolation: Houston Strake Jesuit

NCAA.................. Champ: Texas A&M

Whataburger bracket

Edited by Buford_Julep

Let me preface this, with I know NOTHING about girls basketball, especially this year. I do know that Duncanville is good and that Dallas Ursuline is normally pretty good.

I went with Heart in the consolation pick for the Coca-Cola. And in the Whataburger, you've got to go with Dunbar and Crenshaw in the finals. I think Crenshaw's coach Willie West is one of the top High school coaches in the nation. I know Crenshaw doesn't have Darnell Gant but if they've got some height they sould win the Whataburger.

Sandra Meadows...Champ: Duncanville...Consolation: Dallas Ursuline

Dallas Coca-Cola...Champ: Highland Park.........Consolation: Rockwall

Whataburger........Champ: LA Crenshaw....Consolation: FM Marcus

NCAA.................. Champ: Duke

Whataburger Tournament celebrates 50th Anniversary

December 24, 2007

Rob Harman

How good are top teams at the historic 50th Whataburger Basketball Tournament? Well, in the media fact packet, defending champion Plano West, ranked 12th in the state by TexasHoops.com, isn't even listed as one of the "teams to watch" in the large school (Orange) division while defending champ Fairfield and Graford, ranked No. 1 in Class A, received similar overlooks in the small school (Blue) division.

The tournament will run Dec. 27-29 at three Fort Worth area gyms. The Orange Division will be at W.G. Thomas Coliseum in Haltom City. The White Division will compete at Haltom High School. The Blue Division will be held at Nolan High School in Fort Worth. The event, which began in 1958 as the West Side Lions Club Tournament, is known for bringing in big-name out-of-state teams. This year, Milwaukee King will be the first Wisconsin team to make the trek to Fort Worth. Los Angeles Crenshaw, which won the tournament in 1987, is back for the sixth time.

There will be plenty of star players on display in the Orange Division.

* A handful of players are ranked nationally: Richland's 6-5 junior Nolan Dennis (No. 1 in the state by TexasHoops.com, Top 10 nationally), North Crowley's 6-4 senior Willie Warren (Top 20 nationally), Hurst Bell's 6-1 junior Marshall Henderson (Top 30 nationally), Monroe Carroll's 6-9 senior Terrance Henry (Top 75 nationally) and Milwaukee King's 6-6 senior Bryan Brown (Top 150 nationally). Warren was TexasHoops.com's No. 1 senior but was out of state (at Oak Hill, Vir.) when the preseason rankings came out.

* Houston Strake Jesuit has four players in TexasHoops.com's Top 20 individual rankings: 6-2 senior guard Trent Rogers and three star juniors in Tim Frazier, Steven Rogers and Joey Brooks, a Notre Dame commit.

* Other TexasHoops.com senior rankees: Southwest's 6-4 Kendall Timmons (27), Crowley's 6-0 Tim Meadows (59), Canyon Randall's 6-9 Jordan Kinnear (61), North Crowley's 6-5 P.J. Colley (67), Fort Worth Christian's 6-8 Steven Werner (74), Southlake Carroll's 6-6 Neal Duvall (87), and Marcus' Jon Miller, UTA signee, and Victor Leak.

* TexasHoops.com junior rankees: Dennis (1), Henderson (12) and Strake Jesuit's Frazier (11), Rogers (15) and Brooks (16), along with North Crowley's 6-5 Tony McGilveary (30), Arlington Martin's 6-0 Ryan Barbee (42), Argyle's 6-2 Caden Dickerson (50), Plano West's 6-1 Tyler Melville (61) and Dunbar's 6-2 Jason Smith (65).

Vying with Plano West for the Orange crown will be North Crowley, ranked second in Class 5A by TexasHoops.com, along with Dunbar (fourth in 4A), Strake Jesuit (19th in 5A) and Flower Mound Marcus (22nd in 5A).

Southwest, ranked No. 19 in 4A, will be challenged by Crowley (13th in 4A) and San Antonio Sam Houston (23rd in 4A) for the White title.

The Blue Division has 11 ranked teams including the top Class A team (Graford), three Top 7 teams in Class 3A (Tyler Chapel Hill, Argyle and Burkburnett) and two top-ranked private schools (Fort Worth Christian and Nolan).

50th annual Whataburger Basketball Tournament

Orange Divison

At W.G. Thomas Coliseum (Haltom City)

Mansfield vs. Plano West, 10 a.m.

Mansfield Summit vs. Coppell, 11:30 a.m.

North Crowley vs. Irving, 1:15 p.m.

Houston Strake Jesuit vs. Richland, 2:45 p.m.

Hurst L.D. Bell vs. Monroe (La.) Carroll, 4:30 p.m.

Flower Mound Marcus vs. Los Angeles (Calif.) Crenshaw, 6 p.m.

Euless Trinity vs. Fort Worth Dunbar, 7:30 p.m.

Milwaukee (Wis.) King vs. Arlington Martin, 9 p.m.

White Division

At Haltom High School

Haltom vs. Lewisville Hebron, 10 a.m.

Everman vs. Southlake Carroll, 11:30 a.m.

Eastern Hills vs. Denton, 1:15 p.m.

Birdville vs. Southwest, 2:45 p.m.

Canyon Randall vs. Denton Guyer, 4:30 p.m.

Elgin vs. Mansfield Legacy, 6 p.m.

Crowley vs. Waxahachie, 7:30 p.m.

Arlington Heights vs. San Antonio Sam Houston, 9 p.m.

Blue Division

At Nolan High School

Fort Worth All Saints vs. Ponder, 10 a.m.

Peaster vs. Fort Worth Christian, 11:30 a.m.

Burkburnett vs. Martin's Mill, 1:15 p.m.

Pittsburg vs. Fairfield, 3 p.m.

Tuscola Jim Ned vs. Nolan, 4:30 p.m.

Brock vs. Graford, 6 p.m.

Holliday vs. Argyle, 7:30 p.m.

Canyon vs. Tyler Chapel Hill, 9 p.m.

Coca-Cola Tournament (Dallas ISD)

Tournament Champions

Highland Park Scots over DeSoto

Consolation Champion

Dallas Pinkston over Dallas Skyline

Whataburger Tournament (FT Worth)

Orange Champions

North Crowley HS

White Champions

Crowley HS

Blue Champions

Pittsburg HS

Sandra Meadows Tournament (Girls - Duncanville)

Tournament Champions

Houston Bellaire

(Featuring UNT signee Tamara Torru)

The Results are in:

Sandra Meadow Girls Tournament

Winner

Houston Bellaire

Predictions

Buford - Duncanville

Green Bat - Duncanville

Cooley - Houston Bellaire

Whataburger Tournament

Winner

North Crowley

Predictions

Buford - FW Dunbar

Green Bat - LA Crenshaw

Cooley - North Crowley

FT Worth Tournament

Winner

Killeen

Predictions

Buford - Lewisville

Cooley - Killeen

DISD Coca Cola Tournament

No Contest Winners

Thanks for playing guys!

Cooley,

Whats your take on Mansfield Timberview's Girls this year? I work the Public address for them and did their tournament this weekend and saw Slinker at the Summit vs. Houston North Shore game on Friday. Liberty Christian took the tournament but the T-View Girls look pretty good... any thoughts?

I'm not Cooley, but I live in Granbury and know that Timberview and Granbury will be neck and neck this year for the 4-5A title. I know Timberview has become somewhat of a powerhouse in girls and boys basketball and they have made the playoffs something like 4 or 5 years in a row now (is that correct?). I don't know if Granbury can stay on this streak of 12 or 13 wins in a row that they're on currently, but mark it down, these teams will be neck and neck the rest of the season.

The guys are still growing in the district... when they were 4-A first year they dominated but the move up has been rough on the guys. The girls on the other hand are looking good from the games I have called. I ask Cooley because he has a more broad sense on things. I haven't seen anything out of what they have shown me at their home games. Granbury got a big win against them a few weeks ago. That coach out there is something! When timberview walked into the gym, the traditional pre-game hip hop upbeat ix stopeed and slow country came on. From what I hear the girls never got into their little pre-game groove....

Cooley,

Whats your take on Mansfield Timberview's Girls this year? I work the Public address for them and did their tournament this weekend and saw Slinker at the Summit vs. Houston North Shore game on Friday. Liberty Christian took the tournament but the T-View Girls look pretty good... any thoughts?

They are one of the top 3 teams in Texas (5A). Unfortunately, they play in perhaps the toughest region in Texas (Region 1) They must get by DeSoto to get to Austin (Currently #1) but also Grandbury, Duncanville, Cedar Hill and Amarillo.

I heard the championship game against Liberty Christian was a great game against a great player in W. Hand (OU signee) I haven't seen any of these girls play but I know the road to Austin will go through the City of Mansfield or possibly DeSoto.

Houston Bellaire or Cy-Fair awaits the DFW representative.