Blog Regular's Recruiting Wish List

MeanGreen61

A recruiting wish list from a blog regular

Drew -- one of our loyal blog readers -- had some trouble posting a comment this afternoon, so I volunteered to put it up for him. This is what he believes UNT should do with the rest of its open scholarships:

NT should have anywhere from 6-8 ships left to offer. We need playmakers across the board on the defensive side. That being said here is the breakdown of what I would like to see happen:

1-RB Tre Newton

There have been grumblings that he is unhappy with UT. Chances are unlikely, but you never know. Tre or another highly rated recruit is the only reason to offer another ship here. Hopefully Cam gets his redshirt.

1- DT

Hopefully a JUCO who can step in and take a starting spot. Gumm would have been ideal, but not likely now. Otherwise go after a high school recruit. We're starting to get some depth here; lets keep in going.

2- D-End

We need someone who can come in and take the spot opposite Gilmore, most likely a JUCO. It appears as though we should be able to land Anthony Barnes. Add a high schooler in there for much needed depth and we're good. Jaquies Smith would be nice but doubtful.

2- CB

Go after a JUCO who can step in and secure a troubled spot for NT. Then go after a kid from high school with speed. We got burned way to much this past season.

1- K

The kicking game killed us all year long!! Get a kid in here who can make an extra point and make a FG longer than 20 yds.

One player I would like to see brought in purely because of his size is Robert Griffin of Euless

Trinity. He weighs in at 6-7 360, the same size as Leonard Davis!! That gives you options, either at OL, or D-tackle. He is uncommitted, so why not? Or how about Mao Leota?

Ok, let's look at what we have.

DE's

84 Brown, Charlie DE 6-4 239 So.

48 Davenport, Ryan DE 6-2 228 Jr.

94 Gilmore, Eddrick DE 6-5 240 So.

98 Krider, Kail DE 6-3 245 Fr.

96 Okonkwo, Kenneth DE 6-2 230 Fr.

47 Rexrode, Tye DE 6-3 257 Jr.

93 Russo, Kyle DE 6-3 245 Fr.

We already know about Gilmores potential. I see Davenport and Rexrode as being "serviceable" at DE. Earlier in the year, I heard that Charlie Brown was doing well at DE. In light of how fast he was for a TE, this sounded pretty positive for his prospects as a DE. Does anyone have an update about his progress at DE? What's the deal with Russo?...Okonkwo?...Krider? If we realistically don't have anyone as a standout DE other than Gilmore, then this is a big need area.

DT's

93 Calderon, Daniel DT 6-3 240 Fr.

95 DeSoto, Jesse DT 6-2 275 Fr.

65 Miller, Joseph DT 6-3 275 Jr.

92 Ross, Draylen DE 6-3 280 So.

91 Scoggins, Jordan DT 6-1 274 Fr.

61 Stewart, Jonathan DE 6-2 260 So.

99 Thomas, Isaac DT 5-11 289 Jr.

I know about Miller, Stewart, and Thomas. I also know that Ross has a great upside...potential-wise. Does anyone know if DeSoto is going to work out? How about Scoggins? Is Calderon still on the roster? If so, what are his chances of contributing?

This is (IMHO) also an area of great need.

LB's

86 Davidson, Christian LB 6-3 220 So.

36 Davis, Marquese LB 6-1 230 Fr.

57 Gilchrist, Scott LB 5-11 210 Fr.

40 Mahan, Colt LB 6-1 220 Jr.

44 Nwigwe, Tobe LB 6-2 237 So.

52 Owusu-Hemeng, Sam LB 6-1 230 Fr.

46 Padron, Justin LB 6-0 220 Fr.

59 Penson, A.J. LB 6-1 220 Fr.

42 Robertson, Craig LB 6-0 210 Fr.

83 Seidle, Bryant LB 6-3 230 So.

43 Sykes, Marquis LB 6-3 253 Fr.

58 Taveras, Tony LB 5-11 225 Fr.

Ok, we know about Robertson, Mahan, and I believe that Penson got out on the field some. Is Nwigwe going to be back next year? Is Seidle still being looked at as a LB? Does anyone know about the potential of Davis, Davidson Gilchrist, and Taveras? My big question is Sykes. At 6'3" X 253, he would belong in the middle helping with run defense. Otherwise, if he has any speed at all, I would look at moving him to DE.

We definitely need some help at DB, but I would look just as hard at finding someone who can take a KO or PUNT to the house. We not only sucked at kick coverage, we absolutely sucked at kick returns.

Anyone with any viable information on these areas?

Ok, let's look at what we have.

DE's

84 Brown, Charlie DE 6-4 239 So.

48 Davenport, Ryan DE 6-2 228 Jr.

94 Gilmore, Eddrick DE 6-5 240 So.

98 Krider, Kail DE 6-3 245 Fr.

96 Okonkwo, Kenneth DE 6-2 230 Fr.

47 Rexrode, Tye DE 6-3 257 Jr.

93 Russo, Kyle DE 6-3 245 Fr.

We already know about Gilmores potential. I see Davenport and Rexrode as being "serviceable" at DE. Earlier in the year, I heard that Charlie Brown was doing well at DE. In light of how fast he was for a TE, this sounded pretty positive for his prospects as a DE. Does anyone have an update about his progress at DE? What's the deal with Russo?...Okonkwo?...Krider? If we realistically don't have anyone as a standout DE other than Gilmore, then this is a big need area.

DT's

93 Calderon, Daniel DT 6-3 240 Fr.

95 DeSoto, Jesse DT 6-2 275 Fr.

65 Miller, Joseph DT 6-3 275 Jr.

92 Ross, Draylen DE 6-3 280 So.

91 Scoggins, Jordan DT 6-1 274 Fr.

61 Stewart, Jonathan DE 6-2 260 So.

99 Thomas, Isaac DT 5-11 289 Jr.

I know about Miller, Stewart, and Thomas. I also know that Ross has a great upside...potential-wise. Does anyone know if DeSoto is going to work out? How about Scoggins? Is Calderon still on the roster? If so, what are his chances of contributing?

This is (IMHO) also an area of great need.

LB's

86 Davidson, Christian LB 6-3 220 So.

36 Davis, Marquese LB 6-1 230 Fr.

57 Gilchrist, Scott LB 5-11 210 Fr.

40 Mahan, Colt LB 6-1 220 Jr.

44 Nwigwe, Tobe LB 6-2 237 So.

52 Owusu-Hemeng, Sam LB 6-1 230 Fr.

46 Padron, Justin LB 6-0 220 Fr.

59 Penson, A.J. LB 6-1 220 Fr.

42 Robertson, Craig LB 6-0 210 Fr.

83 Seidle, Bryant LB 6-3 230 So.

43 Sykes, Marquis LB 6-3 253 Fr.

58 Taveras, Tony LB 5-11 225 Fr.

Ok, we know about Robertson, Mahan, and I believe that Penson got out on the field some. Is Nwigwe going to be back next year? Is Seidle still being looked at as a LB? Does anyone know about the potential of Davis, Davidson Gilchrist, and Taveras? My big question is Sykes. At 6'3" X 253, he would belong in the middle helping with run defense. Otherwise, if he has any speed at all, I would look at moving him to DE.

D-end is a definite concern other than Gilmore. D-tackle for some reason I am not to concerned about. Same with LB, I have expected and heard good things about Davis. And I think that Sykes was moved to D-end. Roberston and Penson should be studs for years to come. A pretty exciting tandom

D-end is a definite concern other than Gilmore. D-tackle for some reason I am not to concerned about. Same with LB, I have expected and heard good things about Davis. And I think that Sykes was moved to D-end. Roberston and Penson should be studs for years to come. A pretty exciting tandom

In my opinion, Charly Brown will make people forget about Chapman and Gilmore is Adrian Awasome with better size and speed. Who on the Roster at DT excites you other than Joe Miller? Don't forget Steve Warren was redshirted and will be a LB next year as a junior. I feel good about him as well.

Who on the Roster at DT excites you other than Joe Miller?

Draylen Ross. This kid was brought in as a tight end, but all we heard from DD and staff was how much more weight this kid could put on. And now he is up to 290, with great speed. Ike Thomas is here for another year, and we have 2 youngsters in DeSotto and Scroggins that everyone seems pretty high on. And we'll wait and see if TD will land a JUCO DT in this class.

Draylen Ross. This kid was brought in as a tight end, but all we heard from DD and staff was how much more weight this kid could put on. And now he is up to 290, with great speed. Ike Thomas is here for another year, and we have 2 youngsters in DeSotto and Scroggins that everyone seems pretty high on. And we'll wait and see if TD will land a JUCO DT in this class.

Before I get excited about anything besides their potential, I would like to hear from someone who has observed (or who knows someone who has observed), how Ross, Scroggins, and DeSoto have actually performed in practice.

GreenBat, I greatly respect your opinion(s). But what have you observed of Charlie Brown's performance in practice at DE?

GreenBat, I greatly respect your opinion(s). But what have you observed of Charlie Brown's performance in practice at DE?

There were reports on MeanGreenSports.com in the preseason that he was doing great things. During the season there was nothing made public, but he had a good year on the practice squad. I might be incorrect, but I think he can take a medical redshirt for the year he was recovering from surgery and could take his normal redshirt year last season, which would make him a sophomore. He is a great athlete, who I believe earned all-state at defensive end as well as at Tight end.

There were reports on MeanGreenSports.com in the preseason that he was doing great things. During the season there was nothing made public, but he had a good year on the practice squad. I might be incorrect, but I think he can take a medical redshirt for the year he was recovering from surgery and could take his normal redshirt year last season, which would make him a sophomore. He is a great athlete, who I believe earned all-state at defensive end as well as at Tight end.

Charlie was not on the pratice squard this year he played in 4 game and last year at TE he played in 10 games so Mr. Brown will be a Jr.????????????????

Why don't we pursue the recruiter at navarro??? These guys are ALL huge.

I was at Navarro back in the late 80's. They had a pipeline with Miami and Oklahoma sending their "guys" there if they didn't qualify. It was a football factory. I don't recall seeing too many of them in class, but they were sure fun to watch on the field ;)