Big Sbc Games On Tv This Saturday

SUMG

Times are central:

Saturday, 6 p.m. --Memphis at Middle Tenn. State---ESPN 2

Saturday, 8 p.m.--Tennessee at Western Kentucky--ESPNU

I really hope for a WKU win for a number of different reasons....and this could be their season to pull of this upset... it will be nice have a couple of SBC teams with wins over Top 25 opponents so that when we whip their arse in conference play, it will really help our rankings....

Our next opponent (Southern) has a 1-6 record. Their only win is over that "powerhouse" SMU. hahahahaha.

They have exceeded 50 points only twice... against SMU and Paul Quinn (the other other Dallas County powerhouse, they lost that one).

Our game is on Monday..

Both of these games....are in Nashville....and are billed as part of "The Sun Belt Classic."

I guess our conference is hosting these.

It's too bad...though...I thought WKU and MTSU, actually had these two opponents on their home courts.

Both of these games....are in Nashville....and are billed as part of "The Sun Belt Classic."

I guess our conference is hosting these.

It's too bad...though...I thought WKU and MTSU, actually had these two opponents on their home courts.

Yes, our conference hosted these... the announcers said it was a sell out (around 16,000 - 17,000) as well as a great event for SBC basketball exposure.

South Alabama - 71 MSU - 67 - Demetric Bennett was unstoppable in leading the Jags, hitting 14-17 from the field including 6-6 from three point land. Daon Merritt added 14 points and DeAndre Coleman chipped in 9 points and 12 boards, but the big story was the Jags defense which held MSU to 38% shooting and locked up leading scorer Jamont Gordon, holding the wing to 7 points on 1-14 shooting. Gordon came into the game averaging better than 17 a contest. USA also got the addition of Auburn transfer Daniel Hayles for the first time this season. Hayles went scoreless in 18 minutes of action, but gives Ronnie Arrow another experienced option in a very talented, all transfer backcourt.

Western Kentucky - 82 #12. Tennessee - 88 - "The 12th-ranked Tennessee Volunteers may not want to play the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers on a neutral court ever again." (cbssportsline). I hate lines like this...you play all your NCAA tournament games on neutral court, so if you're not good enough to beat a team in December on a neutral floor, you're not good enough to do it in March. College basketball is getting too much like college football. Rant over. Western went toe to toe with Tennessee all night, used a 10-1 push to cut it to 1 but were unable to finish the upset. Courtney Lee once again led the Toppers with 23, and they got solid contributions from guards Tyrone Brazelton (16pts), Ty Rodgers (15pts) and forward Mike Walker (6pts, 11 rbs.)

MTSU - 41 #2. Memphis - 65 - Atleast MTSU kept this game respectable...but with their shooting it easily could've gone the way of their game with Tennessee earlier this season. The Raiders shot 27% from the field, one player (center Theryn Hudson) shot over 50% for the game (4-7, 8 pts.) and nobody scored in double figures. Guard Kevin Kanaskie had probably the most complete game, scoring just 4 points on 1-8 shooting, but adding 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 4 steals.

UNO - 71 Savannah State - 56 - Bo McCallebb led the way for the Privateers with 20 and T.J. Worley chipped in 14 off the bench as UNO coasted to a victory and improved to 7-1 on the season.

Denver - 39 Penn State - 60 - Denver scored just 10 first half points, their first bucket coming just prior to the mid-way point of the first half. Leading scorer David Kummer was held without a point, but Denver did get solid efforts from post Adam Tanner (10 pts), forward Rob Lewis (12pts) and swingman Joe Jackson (11pts).

UALR - 75 FIU - 67 - And Sun Belt play got underway last night with the Trojans improving to 8-1 on the year with an 8 point win over FIU. Guard Terrance Akins led four Trojans in double figures with 15, bigmen Mike Smith and Derrick Bails added 13 and 12 respectivly and swingman Brandon Patterson finished with 10. For FIU, center Russell Hicks finished with 18 on 7-7 shooting, despite being limited to just 20 minutes because of foul difficulties. FIU shot 50% from the field, but the UALR defense forced the Panthers into 24 turnovers.

Two games tonight - Arkansas State takes on a winless Ball State squad, and SBC plays contiues in Louisianna as Monroe and Lafayette get together.

At some point either today or tomorrow I'll pull out my season preview and give a bit of a midseason update...I wonder how my "FAU will win the SBC East" prediction is holding up.