Drc Slc Qb Riley Dodge To Birmington Alabama For

OldTimer

Riley went to the best. I wonder how long his recovery period is and whether or not he'll attend unt in the spring? Best of luck to him. Many were and are anticipating the showdown between Meager, Vizza and Riley. It now has been delayed some (the competitive challenge).

There isn't going to be a showdown. Dodge gave the position to Vizza this year after Meager earned it. There isn't any competition.

Where the focus should be is on running back and the defensive front seven. Either QB, Meager or Vizza, tossing the ball around the yard resulted in a ton of interceptions and sacks combined with a defense that rarely stopped the run or pressured opposing QBs led to a 2-10 season. QB is irrelevant. No matter who is in there, they're simply going to throw 1,001 short routes and occassionally chunk up a long one to be picked off.

Grandma Moses could have run this offense between paintings. This is the "genius" of the spread offense - you can have a weak arm and still make it work. I mean, just look at all of the Texas Tech and Hawaii quarterbacks littering the NFL! - Not.

Gimmicky.

Get us a running back to complement the midget passing game and a front seven who can shut down the run so we can win some games in the future, please.

There isn't going to be a showdown. Dodge gave the position to Vizza this year after Meager earned it. There isn't any competition.

Where the focus should be is on running back and the defensive front seven. Either QB, Meager or Vizza, tossing the ball around the yard resulted in a ton of interceptions and sacks combined with a defense that rarely stopped the run or pressured opposing QBs led to a 2-10 season. QB is irrelevant. No matter who is in there, they're simply going to throw 1,001 short routes and occassionally chunk up a long one to be picked off.

Grandma Moses could have run this offense between paintings. This is the "genius" of the spread offense - you can have a weak arm and still make it work. I mean, just look at all of the Texas Tech and Hawaii quarterbacks littering the NFL! - Not.

Gimmicky.

Get us a running back to complement the midget passing game and a front seven who can shut down the run so we can win some games in the future, please.

While I think you may be marginalizing the passing offense (and the QB's importance in running it effectively), I definitely agree with you about the running back situation. I think that the games that we were the most effective (not necessarily in terms of offensive statistics) running our offense was when we were running the ball effectively. It worries me the way that Vizza runs the ball, even though he can be highly effective at times. We need a guy back there that can handle a full load of carries during the course of a season, and take the pressure off of Vizza feeling the need to carry the load in the run game. One thing I think we can all agree on is that the offensive attack needs to find a better balance between the running and passing game.

Gimmicky.

I guess the West Coast offense is gimmicky as well. Joe Montana had a good arm, nothing sensational. Ty Detmer had a very average arm, back up QB Brad Johnson at Dallas doesn't have an arm at all but played big time ball at Florida State and has been in the League forever.

UNT needs more balance on offense and any offense starts with an OL. Considering the youth at OL, Spencer did a decent job. Did the OL allow tons of pressure and big time hits on the QB's and RB's? Yes, but they also will return (minus Venegas) for at least two more seasons and now have 12 starts under their belt with added competition coming in.

Calling Texas Tech and Hawaii a gimmick is absurd.

We all know defenses cure a lot of problems. But getting a good defense is easier said than done. (Look at Florida and OSU) Troy University only put on 31 points on Florida and 41 on Oklahoma State. The gimmick spread (dink and dunk that Troy uses) worked against some pretty damn good (perennial) defenses who are loaded with talent.

Gimmicky.

Once again, Moses comes down from the mountain top to provide us with his wisdom.

Hey Lonnie, The wishbone was a gimmick but won many a game. What about the wing T? Hell, Liberty Hill wins state every year with the wing T.

I guess UNT will just have to be ashamed of the gimmicky system that Dodge uses. TD is going to shake that spread up this season, imo. Playbook is going to get a little thick this off season.